Raiders DE Carl Nassib announces he's gay

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, pwny said:

This seems like a pretty obvious thing to do. Even outside of trans kids, there’s always been kids who have wanted to go by a nickname or their middle name, so like it’s not even just a trans only issue that should be controversial in any way to anybody. If they don’t outright tell you not to do it, I’d do it if it was me; as easy as it is for me to say it from the outside.

Exactly. 10 years ago I had a kid ask me to call him Havoc. I absolutely did and he thought it was awesome. (He was a Huge Avenged Sevenfold fan). But his dad absolutely DID NOT approve. That was a funny example, but others not so much.

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I suggested building wide a form that asks every student the following 3 questions.

1. Do you go by a name other than the name on our roster?

2. If yes, what? (Type here)

3. What name would you like me to use when corresponding with home?

That’s pretty good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Yeah absolutely.  But that's human nature.  Most people don't react well to being told that what they just said was insensitive.  We can all try to be more open minded but its also on those who claim to hold the moral and intellectual high ground to not abdicate responsibility for fostering a more constructive conversation on these issues just because its more satisfying to tell someone they are wrong.

Whenever I see someone overzealously going off on the internet about some phraseology I assume they are just scratching that itch to correct and virtue signal, not actually trying to make a positive difference. 

9c76725fd495e2f0c6a781df81d959e4.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That’s pretty good.

That’s why they pay me the big bucks ;) 

In all seriousness, it grated on me for 10 months and I thought about it until I came up with the most no pressure answers for students and simplest way to make them comfortable and for me to also legally cover myself that I could. Administration seemed to like it as well. Here’s hoping.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Yeah absolutely.  But that's human nature.  Most people don't react well to being told that what they just said was insensitive.  We can all try to be more open minded but its also on those who claim to hold the moral and intellectual high ground to not abdicate responsibility for fostering a more constructive conversation on these issues just because its more satisfying to tell someone they are wrong.

Whenever I see someone overzealously going off on the internet about some phraseology I assume they are just scratching that itch to correct and virtue signal, not actually trying to make a positive difference. 

I agree 100%. I'm one to dig in on something and hold my ground

But I also know the topics not to do that with. I know not to do that with race. People know a lot more than I do and its important for me to listen. Same here with this topic.

There are times to think beyond your base human instincts and this is obvoiusly one of them

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, mission27 said:

i don’t see why you would jump to that assumption rather than guessing that maybe this individual has a personal stake in the matter at hand and is thus very passionate about it. people love to talk about “virtue signaling” or whatever but in my experience a lot of this boils down to trying to convince people who simply don’t care that you or someone you love is worthy of full personhood. it’s obvious why that would stoke people’s emotions.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tk3 said:

I agree 100%. I'm one to dig in on something and hold my ground

But I also know the topics not to do that with. I know not to do that with race. People know a lot more than I do and its important for me to listen. Same here with this topic.

There are times to think beyond your base human instincts and this is obvoiusly one of them

The irony, imho, is that mocking/attacking/stalking/spinning other posters is a far more damaging style of "digging in" when it comes to a topic we are trying to be united on. Being a petulant child isnt a good communication style, no matter the subject.

As I said 2-3 days ago; people need to take a chill pill and be respectful and kind. It goes further than being angry. 

Just now, Matts4313 said:

The irony, imho, is that mocking/attacking/stalking/spinning other posters is a far more damaging style of "digging in" when it comes to a topic we are trying to be united on. Being a petulant child isnt a good communication style, no matter the subject.

As I said 2-3 days ago; people need to take a chill pill and be respectful and kind. It goes further than being angry. 

Are you talking about me specifically, or the thread in general?

1 minute ago, -Hope- said:

but in my experience a lot of this boils down to trying to convince people who simply don’t care that you or someone you love is worthy of full personhood.

That sucks that people have treated you that way. Hopefully times are quickly changing. 

Just now, Matts4313 said:

No one in particular, but specifically not you. I dont even really remember but a few of your post tbh.

got it. always hard with specific post quotes, which is why I asked

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I've hidden a few posts that go deep into politics and/or religion, but that's about it.

I don't get it...

- The Mod team and I take action, and we're too heavy handed. We lock too quick and are too fast on Warnings.

- We don't take action and let conversation go, and we're not doing enough (rhetorical response, we're doing EXACTLY what we should be doing based on discussions on how to manage this specific thread).

Seems like we can't please everyone...

He's in the minority, probably for the first time in his life, and it is making him uncomfortable. It's almost like the majority tends to hold all the power....

• Like 2