Jump to content

Raiders DE Carl Nassib announces he's gay


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, JohnChimpo said:

I am happy for Carl. 
 

I wonder how people will react if any elite/HOF type players who are household names ever come out. 

Hopefully the same way the majority have for Carl.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mission27 said:

In fairness, people do absolutely have that right last time I checked, in pretty much every country on earth (because most countries without free thought and expression also persecute LGBTQ people). 

I mean, you're technically right, you have the right to think that.  But you also have the right to think rape or pedophilia is OK.  You have the right to think anything, so it's kind of a red herring there IMO.

3 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

3. The anger in this thread by people proposing better communication is annoying and should lead to self reflection. What they are doing is labeling and bullying others whom share in similar beliefs. 

The anger in this post toward people proposing better communication is annoying and should lead to self reflection.  What it is doing is labeling and bullying others whom share in similar beliefs.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

My fault, let me clarify:

I’m speaking about the precedent that schools are responsible to enforce it outside of school grounds and hours, not just “on site”.

SCOTUS just decided a very narrow ruling on this in the Levy case.  The parts I read didn't seem particularly helpful for teachers and school administrators though.  They wanted to give some free speech to students, but didn't want to completely shut down a school's ability to enforce anti-bullying rules.

Might be an interesting read for someone who works in the field.

1 hour ago, mission27 said:

Yeah absolutely.  But that's human nature.  Most people don't react well to being told that what they just said was insensitive.  We can all try to be more open minded but its also on those who claim to hold the moral and intellectual high ground to not abdicate responsibility for fostering a more constructive conversation on these issues just because its more satisfying to tell someone they are wrong.

Do they?  Because if I say something and someone is offended by it, my first reaction is to apologize.  Doing that just seems really, really childish.

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

The irony, imho, is that mocking/attacking/stalking/spinning other posters is a far more damaging style of "digging in" when it comes to a topic we are trying to be united on. Being a petulant child isnt a good communication style, no matter the subject.

As I said 2-3 days ago; people need to take a chill pill and be respectful and kind. It goes further than being angry. 

I mean, this whole thing started because you made a series of posts that could be offensive to some and keep trying to defend them instead of just saying "Oh, sorry.  I didn't mean it that way, won't do it again."

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

SCOTUS just decided a very narrow ruling on this in the Levy case.  The parts I read didn't seem particularly helpful for teachers and school administrators though.  They wanted to give some free speech to students, but didn't want to completely shut down a school's ability to enforce anti-bullying rules.

Might be an interesting read for someone who works in the field.

I’d love to read a summary if you have the resources.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MWil23 said:

I’d love to read a summary if you have the resources.

Just google “F*** cheer,” or the Levy case. I haven’t read any specific summary that goes into much detail on the points of law.

Breyer wrote the majority opinion, I think, and Thomas wrote a dissent. I know Breyer more or less apologized to administrators for not having a more clear rule for what the line is, so I expect they’ll decide similar cases in the near future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Just google “F*** cheer,” or the Levy case. I haven’t read any specific summary that goes into much detail on the points of law.

Breyer wrote the majority opinion, I think, and Thomas wrote a dissent. I know Breyer more or less apologized to administrators for not having a more clear rule for what the line is, so I expect they’ll decide similar cases in the near future.

The lack of concrete and consistency in these matters is nothing short of infuriating. Just venting here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The lack of concrete and consistency in these matters is nothing short of infuriating. Just venting here.

You can tell the SCOTUS didn’t like it either, and are struggling to find a hard line to differentiate it.

 I’m guessing it’s gonna be like defining pornography where they can’t get a hard rule and instead take varying cases to kind of piece together what is and isn’t enforceable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I mean, this whole thing started because you made a series of posts that could be offensive to some and keep trying to defend them instead of just saying "Oh, sorry.  I didn't mean it that way, won't do it again."

Uhh... What? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Uhh... What? 

Matt’s serious question. Are you dumb? Why even engage. It’s obvious you’ve hurt a few people. Why not just apologize and stop antagonizing people? Pretty unreal dude. Even as a class A troll this is wack. There’s nothing to be gained and it’s a bad look. Ignorance is a bliss but to continue this is just bizarre… 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Matt’s serious question. Are you dumb? Why even engage. It’s obvious you’ve hurt a few people. Why not just apologize and stop antagonizing people? Pretty unreal dude. Even as a class A troll this is wack. There’s nothing to be gained and it’s a bad look. Ignorance is a bliss but to continue this is just bizarre… 

@TheKillerNacho

I'm not going to take part in this discussion anymore, as I stated on my only thread comment, but will anyone give out warnings?

Edited by NudeTayne
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

@TheKillerNacho

I'm not going to take part in this discussion anymore, as I stated on my only thread comment, but will anyone give out warnings?

From the forum rules: “If anyone sees another member violating these rules, please send a PM to a moderator or the webmaster. Do not respond to them. Be especially careful not to respond to personal attacks”

78bceda3d8baa248be4ff515c3bee343.jpg 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

From the forum rules: “If anyone sees another member violating these rules, please send a PM to a moderator or the webmaster. Do not respond to them. Be especially careful not to respond to personal attacks”

78bceda3d8baa248be4ff515c3bee343.jpg 

RIP

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, El Ramster said:

Matt’s serious question. Are you dumb? Why even engage. It’s obvious you’ve hurt a few people. Why not just apologize and stop antagonizing people? Pretty unreal dude. Even as a class A troll this is wack. There’s nothing to be gained and it’s a bad look. Ignorance is a bliss but to continue this is just bizarre… 

mgid:arc:content:southpark.intl:a7465dc6

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2021 at 7:06 AM, Matts4313 said:

And yes, I know, this is a bigger topic and effects more people. So I, personally, am glad that he came out and provides a face to the LBGT community in a male dominated sport.

What are y'all arguing about?

There were people earlier in the thread that were actively advocating homophobia.

Edited by nagahide13
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...