Raiders DE Carl Nassib announces he's gay

RaidersAreOne

I know there has been plenty of feisty and unpleasant disagreement on this topic, but kudos to @ET80and the mods for keeping it flowing. It's been informative, eye opening and a big win for treating posters like adults. Without that, we wouldn't have got to read about of the personal stories here which were so beautifully expressed.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, El Ramster said:

Matt’s serious question. Are you dumb? Why even engage. It’s obvious you’ve hurt a few people. Why not just apologize and stop antagonizing people? Pretty unreal dude. Even as a class A troll this is wack. There’s nothing to be gained and it’s a bad look. Ignorance is a bliss but to continue this is just bizarre… 

Please avoid calling other members "dumb" or any other term. Discuss the topic or the content of their posts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, El Ramster said:

Matt’s serious question. Are you dumb? Why even engage. It’s obvious you’ve hurt a few people. Why not just apologize and stop antagonizing people? Pretty unreal dude. Even as a class A troll this is wack. There’s nothing to be gained and it’s a bad look. Ignorance is a bliss but to continue this is just bizarre… 

Im still waiting to hear what I actually said that hurt people as opposed to the lies that other projected. I am not dumb. Here is what I know.

1. I didnt say "I dont care" nor any offensive behavior that has been expressly pointed out.

2. I always praised Carl and how this is progress for human rights.

3. I understood how some people defaulted to regular lexicon in attempting to convey a thought and being an ally. Additionally, I understood how those particular words could be misinterpreted and are not the most ideal phraseology. 

I dont think I am trolling or antagonizing anyone - seeing at its others who are pestering me even after I have asked them to stop. I also, through multiple PM's, have asked people what I said that was offensive. Ive not gotten a solid answer.  

1 hour ago, nagahide13 said:

What are y'all arguing about?

There were people earlier in the thread that were actively advocating homophobia.

Yeah, and they deservedly got called out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

From the forum rules: “If anyone sees another member violating these rules, please send a PM to a moderator or the webmaster. Do not respond to them. Be especially careful not to respond to personal attacks”

78bceda3d8baa248be4ff515c3bee343.jpg 

Mods have made it clear they're not gonna do anything. Nacho is about the only one who hasn't been a part of the problem. Bringing actual attention in the thread itself seems the only, albeit unlikely as well, way to actually put some light on it. I'm sure this wasn't the intent when Webby unlocked the thread. Mods are commenting on most(?) pages of this thread and not handing out warnings. Many of the comments that should get warnings are from mods themselves. It is not open for discussion, just one discussion.

Disappointing would be an understatement. I watched a mod taunting and then webmaster coming in and doing nothing. I have no faith in these mythological rULeS you are quoting, as mods are doing nothing. This thread sucks and is a disgrace to what it was supposed to be about, Carl Nassib being at the head of potentially a defining moment in sports history. A bunch of mods should be stripped of their red letters. It's a bunch of crap bullying and condescension that anyone who isn't in that i (albeit popular) deological bubble can clearly see.

But if it makes you feel good to pile on, go for it. No one is going to stop you, clearly.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Dome said:

Well first, you’re trying to say that a kid with divorced parents is automatically worse off than a kid who doesn’t have divorced parents. That’s not the case.

You can have divorced parents that love and support you, you can have married parents that abuse you. You can have married parents that support you but constantly fight with each other, making a bad home environment. You can have divorced parents that make every single sacrifice they can as for you, regardless of their marital status.

What you’re saying here is anecdotal. Nobody is arguing that having bad parents isn’t going to make life harder than having good parents. We all recognize that.

Post the links. If the data is so prevalent, post the links. 

I do not believe you have the data to back up what you’re saying, just anecdotal evidence you can support with opinions.

That article shows the negative affects having unsupportive parents can have. Nobody is denying that. The leap you’re making when you say “and that’s harder than being black or gay” is the part that isn’t supported by your link.

💯… bad parents can absolutely ruin a child.

Please provide a link for this claim.

I wasn't at all saying that a kid is divorced parents is automatically worse off than a kid with married parents.

I was saying they have more to overcome right out of the gate.

I agree that a kid can be worse off with married parents.

In fact, that goes to the overall point - every circumstance is different.

I mean, of course it's my opinion - all of this is opinion. The data you have about suicidal rates doesn't take into account factors outside of being black or gay - so, again, to my point - I would argue that those rates are more heavily influenced by bad parenting, whether of that person or of a person who bullied them at some point, but we don't know that because the data doesn't take their individual situations into account.

There's not going to be a study that says "having bad parents is more damaging than being gay" - it's just common sense. Here's a Drs opinion on mass shootings.

https://www.mentalhelp.net/blogs/gun-violence-crime-and-how-we-raise-our-children/

Parents are responsible for what their kids do. The world may not all think this way because people like to skirt from that level of accountability. But if a manager is responsible for their employees at work (they are), then a parent is damn sure responsible for their kids in life.

https://www.healthline.com/health/parenting/bad-parenting#what-is-it

http://marripedia.org/effects_of_parents_on_crime_rates

The last one there has the stats you are probably interested in.

This is still just opinion - but the parenting comes first and would therefore be the root cause of many issues.

• Like 1

I think we are done with this topic for now. There has been very little discussion about the topic.  All the discussion lately has been about forum administration or what someone did or didn’t say that might or might not be a rule violation.  

It’s very frustrating to have topics derailed by this garbage and it is why we have rules against public discussion of forum rules and administration.  

• Like 8