Something is wrong in NFL News.

Dome

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yep.  The rules and standards are the same as a decade and a half ago, but the world and society isn’t.

This forum isn’t keeping up with the times tbh, and I’m not talking about site features.

Please PM me your ideas.

My concern is that PMing ideas makes them disappear, and I wanted to have an open conversation. If it disappears from the public eye it may make this issue seem less urgent than it is.

Look how media outlets are reporting on Nassib. They aren’t shying away. They’re talking and being supportive and telling the hateful people to **** off.

My rule change proposal is very simple, only one of the bullet points needs to change:

- You may not discuss race, religion, politics, or sexual-orientation unless you are doing so in a way that promotes inclusivity and acceptance. This includes references in usernames, signatures, avatars, and PMs. 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

@pwny did that a year ago and nothing changed.

Let’s just be honest here, you have no desire to change how things are done here, and that’s your right as it’s your site.

Huh?  I'll have to look back at @pwny PM, but most of the ideas we discussed were forum features and ideas for more activity.  You just said this wasn't about forum features.   Also, I did implement some of the ideas we discussed.  Things like dark mode, custom titles, adding gif button, more emojis, etc.   Things that we didn't do were some of the activity ideas and a lot of that has to do with the fact that members are less engaged than they were last year.  Now that the lock downs and quarantines are over, members are less active on the forum.  

I know you want to allow political discussion, but I don't see that as a good idea.  If there are some other forum policy ideas you have, feel free to PM me and we can discuss it. 

17 minutes ago, Dome said:

My rule change proposal is very simple, only one of the bullet points needs to change:

- You may not discuss race, religion, politics, or sexual-orientation unless you are doing so in a way that promotes inclusivity and acceptance. This includes references in usernames, signatures, avatars, and PMs. 

I agree.

This seems very reasonable to me.

I dont see how any good person could be against inclusivity. If we all promote more acceptance toward everyone as human beings, it will bring this forum together more, and we could have reasonable discussions and celebrate some historic milestones.

Edited by Malfatron
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dome said:

My concern is that PMing ideas makes them disappear, and I wanted to have an open conversation. If it disappears from the public eye it may make this issue seem less urgent than it is.

Look how media outlets are reporting on Nassib. They aren’t shying away. They’re talking and being supportive and telling the hateful people to **** off.

I think your rule change works for race and sexual-orientation, however I don't see how it applies to religion and politics.  It also probably needs more refinement.  Let me give it some thought.   

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Webmaster said:

I know you want to allow political discussion, but I don't see that as a good idea

You're not alone tbh

The internet is a total cesspool of politics these days, count me among the folks who don't mind this site steering clear of that stuff, even if I will occasionally skirt the rules  

There's a time and a place to make exceptions but people have lost their minds lately with the lack of tolerance for different views and putting some limitations on what can be discussed here may be more important now than ever to preserve mostly civil discussion of the important things in life, like the NFL Draft and Taylor Swift albums 

Not commenting on the specific thread in question - I just think its very easy to say open it up and extremely predictable that **** show that would ensue

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What’s the point of a feedback forum when the feedback needs to be PM’d?

Feedback doesn't need to be PM'd.  Discussion about forum administration needs to be PM'd.    From the terms of service when you signed up and in the forum rules.

Do not debate or discuss forum administration on the forum.  If you have questions or comments about warnings, bans, rule violations, or any other forum administration issues, you may PM a moderator.  

Just now, Webmaster said:

I think your rule change works for race and sexual-orientation, however I don't see how it applies to religion and politics.  It also probably needs more refinement.  Let me give it some thought.   

I appreciate the consideration. I was just typing up something similar. Even friends sometimes find out it’s best if they don’t talk politics or religion.

But if there’s no room on FF for positive discussions about race and sexual orientation, there’s no room for me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Webmaster said:

Feedback doesn't need to be PM'd.  Discussion about forum administration needs to be PM'd.    From the terms of service when you signed up and in the forum rules.

oh ok.  Well good luck then, I’m sure you’ll figure it out. 

2 minutes ago, Webmaster said:

I think its reasonable to separate out race and sexual-orientation (which are human traits that should be treated with inclusivity and acceptance) from religion/politics (belief systems which some may agree/disagree with)

I think something like this is reasonable

- You may not discuss religion or politics on these forums. This includes references in usernames, signatures, avatars, and PMs.

- Any discussion of race or sexual-orientation must promote inclusivity and acceptance.

• Like 3