Scott McCloughan Files Grievance Against Redskins

MKnight82

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/09/mccloughan-has-filed-grievance-against-washington/ 

Former Washington G.M. Scot McCloughan recently was asked on Twitter to describe team president Bruce Allen in one word. McCloughan said, “Politician.”

Another word could now apply: Defendant.

McCloughan tells Liz Clarke of the Washington Postthat a grievance has been filed for the 22 months of pay remaining on his contract, which Allen and the team terminated in March for cause. McCloughan will try to show that the team did not have just cause for firing him, primarily by poking holes in the reasons given for the move.

It’s widely believed that the team officially cited drinking as the reason for firing McCloughan.

“I know who I am and what I did there,” McCloughan said. “Did I build a Super Bowl champion? No. But I did a good job, along with other people there, of making the roster better. I did a good job, with [head coach] Jay [Gruden], in making the quarterback change” from Robert Griffin III to Kirk Cousins in 2015. “If it comes down to my past, it’s their choice, But I’m in a good place, back in my home town. I’ve got a great wife, great kids. We’re going forward. The past is the past.”

The grievance, however, makes the past a key part of the future, with the Commissioner eventually deciding whether Washington owes McCloughan the balance of his contract. And since the Commissioner’s contract is set by Washington and the other 31 NFL franchises, McCloughan is facing a stacked deck.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/22/mccloughan-testified-in-his-grievance-against-washington/ 

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, McCloughan recently was questioned under oath by Washington lawyers. The deposition occurred during the organization’s bye week. It was part of the grievance’s discovery process, which is moving fairly quickly as part of the expedited, internal grievance process.

The parties already have exchanged documents that may be relevant to the case. Similar to the Colin Kaepernick collusion grievance, McCloughan and his representatives could swing the case his way by finding one or two key text messages or emails in what otherwise will be a mountain of evidence.

PFT also has learned that Commissioner Roger Goodell has designated Peter Harvey to serve as the hearing officer in the case. Harvey, the former New Jersey Attorney General, served on the four-person advisory panel in the Ezekiel Elliott case and participated in the conference call conducted in connection with the announcement of a six-game suspension.

Washington refused to pay McCloughan after firing him, claiming that it had just cause for doing so. It’s widely believed that Washington cited alcohol use in connection with the move.

McCloughan’s contract requires him to pursue any claims for breach of the agreement by filing a grievance with the league, which is hardly a fair and impartial forum in cases like this. But since front-office employees and coaches aren’t represented by a union and also hope to get those jobs, they happily sign away their right to take the case to an independent court.

So McCloughan had said back in August that he would be open to returning to the Redskins if the "circumstance were right", or some people had hinted that maybe we would go back to purchasing McCloughan's scouting reports as an independent contractor.  Now that McCloughan and the Redskins are going to court against each other I think you can throw that all out the window.  So the guy that's overseen the majority off our talent scouting the past 4 years is officially not coming back. 

He should win. This was a really bad look for this team!!! Whether this guy was drinking again or showing up drunk you simply handle this like a organization with class and you offer a man help and tell him if that’s not a venture he wishes to take you have to part ways. You don’t have your employee who works for a radio station put out a story about a man’s issues. So I hope Scot wins I genuinely felt like he had a passion for this organization it’s fan base and the history of this organization. It’s a sad day moving forward without this guy. I have faith in our scouting staff but it would have been nice moving forward with Scots vision!!

Bruce Allen has to have pictures of Danny wearing Natzi bomber gear or having some kind of something!!! There is no way to have this many off the field blunders and just PR nightmares like how did we seriously go from like empty stadiums to relavant and the one who keeps his job is the idiot who caused the penalty and the trades who put this roster where we were while the one who brought a vision leaves!!! I seriously am numb to this team but I just don’t understand!!!!! Like it really is gonna be like this the rest of the meaningful years of my life with this team and I just don’t even know how to take it!!!!

Archived