NFL to allow alternate Helmets in 2022; Re-opening door to throwbacks.

Kiltman

After years of speculation, seems the NFL will finally rework the one-shell rule that killed off many throwbacks (Bucs Creamsicles, Eagles Kelly Green, Cowboys White helmets, etc) as well as obvious alternative helmet additions that could’ve been made in the years since like a navy and yellow Chargers helmet to go with their navy alts, Silver Seahawk helmets and others.

• Like 1

Speculation was that when this was passed, teams would just get one additional helmet for their alt. Looks like they’re allowing two.

Saints need a black helmet for sure… not sold that a white helmet with their color rush would work, but I’d like to see it  

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Oh yeah, a throwback Texans helmet!

tfzllw51vwer5torxzqt

So awesome! So nostalgic! So tradition! The helmet of past heros... such as JJ Watt, DeAndre Hopkins and Duane Brown!

I’m glad that you can share your pain with us ET.

Maybe they can bring in the white helmets they originally unveiled and we can all pretend the last 20 years were all a dream.

• Like 2

This could unlock full uniform potential for every team, having non-throwback jerseys, pants, and helmets for every color each team has.

For Monday Night Football games being exclusively aired on ABC beginning in 2023, to go with my proposal for using elements from 90s MNF broadcasts in the presentation of each game, the participating teams would also wear throwback uniforms from the 1990s, meaning the Bucs' creamsicle uniforms could appear on ABC for the first time since 1983 (they were never on the network during the Frank and Al and Dan era, the era I want emulated in ABC's NFL broadcasts, meaning when ABC and ESPN are airing the same game, ABC's broadcast would not be a straight simulcast of ESPN; these broadcasts would be dubbed "Throwback Casts").

• Like 1

The Steelers could have an all-yellow getup as an example - yellow helmet, jersey and pants. This would be considered a "light uniform", which means it would primarily be worn on the road, but could also be worn at home if the Steelers are hosting the Cowboys, because this would force the latter team to wear their blue jerseys, something that often causes them to lose.

• Like 2