NFL to allow alternate Helmets in 2022; Re-opening door to throwbacks.

Kiltman

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

My all time favorite Steeler jersey had the yellow helmet, so I'm excited about this. Plus, I love a lot of the other teams looks with the different helmets. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmuwKg5AZGKLAtkBkT7am

It's multipurpose.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 2

Absolutely love this. More than one helmet being against the rules was always extremely silly to me. Even with the reason(s) named as to why they had that rule in place didn't track with any sort of real logic in my mind. 

Just seems like a no brainer. Every other sports league seems to go overboard on the amount of different jerseys and combinations, from throw backs to multiple types of alternates. I understand teams still change uniforms and have throw backs and alternates in the NFL but only being able to use one helmet design does severely limit some teams options on what they can do with alternate jerseys and what throw backs they can bring back from time to time. I obviously don't want teams going crazy just for the sake of doing it, but I do thing there are certain match-ups and certain big games where teams could build kind of a mystique or legend around different alternate jerseys/helmets or when they bring out certain throwbacks from head to toe. 

I think it's past due, and a really cool idea that could bring a lot of fun and excitement to fans of every team. The Raiders aren't really held back by this as much as some other teams because they don't really have a past helmet that differs in a discernable way for throwbacks, and I have zero interest in the Raiders changing their classic jerseys. I love their rich history, the fact that they are very distinct in terms of everyone being able to say that is the Raiders at a glance, and everything else. I believe we have the best uniforms in the business and obviously im biased but I know a lot of fans from other teams that love the colors and the simplistic yet sleek style. All of that said though, would I be on board with an alternate jersey we bring out from time to time that is a black helmet with black jerseys and black (or even the normal silver) pants? Absolutely. It could be fun to have certain big games and we decided to go a "black out" route. Or whatever else we could come up with.

A lot of teams will benefit more than the Raiders with this decision, but still, I am a big fan of this league wide. 

Edited by Mr Raider
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Why were they even banned in the first place?

Around the years the NFL shockingly learned that concussions existed, they took into account like every study done on the matter. One of them said changing helmets increased brain trauma or risk of brain trauma.

It was debunked a bunch of years ago. But changing hasn’t been seen as a good look for the league. Lurie and the Eagles put forth a rule change for a bunch of years to change it but went silent a few years ago. My guess is the league silently monitored it and decided it was fine. Making it just an NFL decision kinda hides the owners.

Love those old 80s and early 90s uniforms like the red Falcons, the Oilers, the light green Jets and Eagles and the silver and light blue Seahawks so this is great for me. Not a popular opinion probably but I don't think any new version of the kit is better than that awesome timeframe 😁

12 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Bills bringing back the Red Helmets would be neat, I always liked em.

With the blue facemasks too. 

Confusing rules are confusing. Fins wear throwback helmets like 5 times a season already, so now they're allowed to wear...throwback helmets? Don't get it.