NFL to allow alternate Helmets in 2022; Re-opening door to throwbacks.

9 minutes ago, FinSting said:

With the blue facemasks too. 

Confusing rules are confusing. Fins wear throwback helmets like 5 times a season already, so now they're allowed to wear...throwback helmets? Don't get it. 

It was still legal to just swap the decal from the regular helmets which is what we and other teams were doing for throwbacks (they're just stickers after all). However this didn't work for teams that required the helmet color itself to be different.

Now, teams can actually use a different helmet again for throwbacks, opening the door to the red Bills helmet, for example.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

It was still legal to just swap the decal from the regular helmets which is what we and other teams were doing for throwbacks (they're just stickers after all). However this didn't work for teams that required the helmet color itself to be different.

So NFL teams can afford stickers but not paint? Still confusing! 

2 minutes ago, FinSting said:

So NFL teams can afford stickers but not paint? Still confusing! 

Paint really isn't ideal for this... it takes more time to apply and dry (during which period the player cannot use their helmet), it's harder to remove, chips easily, and lacks the shine of the colored plastic.

22 hours ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Please don’t do this on any nationally televised games 

Not only should there be a throwback blue helmet for the Colts, but a "modern" one that basically inverses the colors of the main helmet. This would be worn with blue jerseys and pants.

This combo could be worn during a "Smurf game", a game aired nationally by CBS to promote the new Smurfs cartoon on sister company Nickelodeon. As I would want this as the only 4:25 game on CBS that day, an alternate broadcast would be aired on Nick. Fans would be encouraged to wear blue clothing or cosplay as a Smurf, with Smurfs merchandise being sold in the team stores at Lucas Oil Stadium on that day only.

Edited by pf9
8 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Paint really isn't ideal for this... it takes more time to apply and dry (during which period the player cannot use their helmet), it's harder to remove, chips easily, and lacks the shine of the colored plastic.

If paint were to have been used, it would have to have been applied at least 24 hours before kickoff

And, in addition to the Pat Patriot uniforms, the Patriots should have a red alternate of their current uniform.

How many times can a team wear throwbacks throughout the season though? For example, if Tennessee decided they just wanted to wear their throwbacks the entire year, I'm guessing that's not gonna fly. 

On 6/24/2021 at 2:38 PM, Kiltman said:

I’m glad that you can share your pain with us ET.

THIS PLACE IS MY PAIN!!!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

How many times can a team wear throwbacks throughout the season though? For example, if Tennessee decided they just wanted to wear their throwbacks the entire year, I'm guessing that's not gonna fly. 

It used to be two, but I think they moved it up to 3 recently. With the extra game they could increase it further. 

Technically the league can allow anything they want, but they usually decline it. Rams wearing their throwbacks in the SB was not the norm. Had a lot to do with them knowing that was the direction their new ones would go probably.

We might get some specially sanctioned 4th games for teams that recreate a historic matchup at least. Like Super Bowls or rivalry games. 

Im curious if the secondary helmets will be relegated to just their alternate looks - or if teams can mix them at any time like they do pants. I’m guessing the former. But like if a team like the Seahawks wanted say a gray/silver helmet. Could they mix that in more?

19 hours ago, pf9 said:

Not only should there be a throwback blue helmet for the Colts, but a "modern" one that basically inverses the colors of the main helmet. This would be worn with blue jerseys and pants.

This combo could be worn during a "Smurf game", a game aired nationally by CBS to promote the new Smurfs cartoon on sister company Nickelodeon. As I would want this as the only 4:25 game on CBS that day, an alternate broadcast would be aired on Nick. Fans would be encouraged to wear blue clothing or cosplay as a Smurf, with Smurfs merchandise being sold in the team stores at Lucas Oil Stadium on that day only.

@pf9pondering his next throwback jersey/merch idea:

article-0-2089180500000578-772_634x778.j