DeCastro released

warfelg

6 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Because without more details…you don’t know that they did.

5 hours ago, jebrick said:

It sounds like DD needed more surgery on the ankle and was considering retirement.  Steelers just pushed it along.

It definitely sounds like the bone spurs thing from the Steelers contention is something that didn't come up while playing.  Add in that he already played on it and was waffling on surgery.  My gut instinct is that maybe that he didn't want surgery because the recovery time pretty much takes his last year of the contract off track. We're in basically July, and 3 months means September, tack on about 4 weeks to rehab into game shape, and at this point that's November when he's normal again.  Going to be 32 at the end of the season, relatively healthy compared to other OL players when they retire, and has made ~$60mil.  I can see them contesting the NFI part, get him to be on the Retired/reserved list instead (that will get him an injury settlement), and him calling it a career.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, warfelg said:

My gut instinct is that maybe that he didn't want surgery because the recovery time pretty much takes his last year of the contract off track

You could very well be right. My first thought was actually the opposite - That the Steelers did not want him to get surgery, but because he is indeed content with is career, judging by his comments, that pushing through injury vs quality of life is a reason to get the surgery. Because maybe they view it as "elective" on his part they are ruling it an NFI. 

But that's where I come from with the lack of details comment. Could be they feel strung out by Decastro's choice of surgery now post FA and draft. Could be they bailed on him. Could be anything. 

Based on his comments though, it doesn't seem to be a big deal. Also based on how the arbiter process will work - any salary cap changes would hit 2022 when the Steelers have more available cap flexibility, so it could all just be a bookkeeping move by the Steelers to max cap space now - regardless of winning or losing a grievance. 

Edit: re-reading your post War, I am thinking we might actually be closer to on the same page. Seems Decastro wanted to see if it would heal on its own and when it didn't is electing surgery. I think that's what you are getting at too, I just read it a different way the first time. 

Edited by Dcash4

14 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

You could very well be right. My first thought was actually the opposite - That the Steelers did not want him to get surgery, but because he is indeed content with is career, judging by his comments, that pushing through injury vs quality of life is a reason to get the surgery. Because maybe they view it as "elective" on his part they are ruling it an NFI. 

But that's where I come from with the lack of details comment. Could be they feel strung out by Decastro's choice of surgery now post FA and draft. Could be they bailed on him. Could be anything. 

I honestly think the Steelers frustration was that they could have been more proactive in replacing him than reactive had he been more upfront about things. I feel as though they expected him to get surgery, he put it off, then they just hit a breaking point.  

Based on his comments though, it doesn't seem to be a big deal. Also based on how the arbiter process will work - any salary cap changes would hit 2022 when the Steelers have more available cap flexibility, so it could all just be a bookkeeping move by the Steelers to max cap space now - regardless of winning or losing a grievance. 

Seems to me as though he doesn't really care when he says "I'll leave that up to my agent and NFLPA".  The Steelers have a long long history of guy leaving on "bad terms" but always end up coming back to the franchise.  There aren't many I can think of that still actively avoid doing anything Steelers related.

Edit: re-reading your post War, I am thinking we might actually be closer to on the same page. Seems Decastro wanted to see if it would heal on its own and when it didn't is electing surgery. I think that's what you are getting at too, I just read it a different way the first time. 

Spurs don't heal on their own.  They have to be removed surgically, it's more about pain management.  

• Like 1

I am not sure DD could/did pass a physical.  The Steelers were not hard up on cash to be A-holes and have not been so in the past.  But we will see.

The article below answers a lot of questions.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2021/6/29/22553209/is-there-a-cost-to-be-paid-when-teams-overlook-injuries-pittsburgh-steelers-david-decastro-rumors

Edited by jebrick

On 6/27/2021 at 11:55 PM, CKSteeler said:

Not a lot of talk about how the Steelers did Decastro kind of dirty here.

Whether they did him dirty or not, one thing is certain...it's Tomlin's fault.

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

How about the blatant almost lie DK is spreading about Dodson related to all of this?  What's up with these loser guys without press passes to the Steelers making crap up?

I can’t understand why Pittsburgh doesn’t have one good beat writer. Is there really no one worth while interested in taking on the Pittsburgh sports beat? 

I mean, I get what’s happening in the media today, but I find that hard to believe. 

I have my faults with Depot (Dave mostly) but their 10x Better than the trash the actually media in Pitt puts out. And, unfortunately, often more informed. 

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

How about the blatant almost lie DK is spreading about Dodson related to all of this?  What's up with these loser guys without press passes to the Steelers making crap up?

Its not an ALMOST lie...its a complete lie.

He claimed DeCastro's release had nothing to do with DeCastro.    Yes, faith in Dotson may have made them more comfortable doing that, but saying it had nothing to do with DDC is utter nonsense.

Might be a possibility the Steelers could face some trouble from the league for not listing DeCastro on the injury report last year.

I mean....he was healthy enough to play.     How injured does a player have to be to be listed on the injury report?   

Just noticed jebrick covered this already.

If the Steelers are downplaying and hiding injuries, they deserve to be penalized.

I honestly dont know how it all works, though.    I have no idea when they are required to list players on the injury report outside of when there is uncertainty about whether or not they will play.

Edited by 43M

According to the article I posted, they need to list an injury if it effects his ability to play football.  Tomlin has been very light about reporting injuries ( Bell's groin pull in 2017 as one example).  But I think it would be hard for the NFL to 2nd guess a judgement call at the time. 

It's interesting because I believe this could be seen as one of those grey area calls that the NFL does look to avoid at times.  Like, I'm sure that DDC was effected by the injury, but if there was never a doubt that he was going to play, does listing it really do what these things are supposed to do.  Remember, IL's are really for the opposing team to judge who may or maynot play.  

Probable – If a player is probable, he is almost definitely playing. Players on this list usually miss some practice time or are bothered by a minor ailment. In a classic move from Bill Bellichick, he had Tom Brady listed as probable for a few years despite not missing any time.

Questionable – This designation is the only one that has proven to be legitimate. A player listed as questionable may or may not play, and it’s right around a 50/50 shot.

Doubtful – A player listed as doubtful is almost definitely not playing. Many teams like to leave the possibility open that the player will play, but as stated in the earlier study, only 3% of players listed as doubtful actually do play.

Out – This is as simple as it gets. If a player is listed as out, then he is definitely not playing in the upcoming game.

I could see Tomlin looking at the Probable in the inverse way of BB, especially since Tomlin has long had "vet days" on Wednesdays as a break day regardless of if they are injured or not.  So Tomlin could easily argue that if he gives guys regular days off, do they all need to go on the Thursday report as "Probable" and then the counter is if Tomlin is in hot water for underreporting then shouldn't BB be in hot water for "overreporting" injuries?

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

I do not think you can get in trouble for over reporting

No you can't, but it shows the hypocrisy of the NFL's injury reporting system.  If I were Tomlin, I would list the entire team as probable at some point this year and claim every player was sore and they needed to end practice 15 minutes early.  Just to be a donkey (if you catch my drift).

The BB one cracks me up, because he listed Brady as probable for like 3 years yet Brady was notorious for taking every single snap possible in practice and not taking time off or taking it easy.  So BB was acting like Brady was missing time.

Plus there are a lot of players that end up probable that actually end up more pissed than not being listed because they don't want people to know something like that.  Like there was never a question DDC would play come Sunday (or Monday, or Wednesday, or Thursday).  So if he took a few reps off in practice here and there rather than sit out, is listing him really necessary?

And in all of this keep in mind the way the NFL set up Tomlin being able to get away with not reporting:

DDC, Pouncey, Ben would often take Wednesdays off, be a full participant Thursday, have the injury list out Thursday afternoon where they didn't miss practice, so technically no need to list him as probable.

• Like 1