Thoughts and Observations: Week 7 [Panthers]

WindyCity

Thoughts and Observations

Offense

-I have said this in a couple of threads that this offense that is being run is not sustainable and I think most people know that. The wins are nice, but I would have liked to have seen the defensive dominance used to give Trubisky a couple more chances to throw the ball and develop. Because at some point the Bears are going to need him to throw 20-25 passes a game and my hope is that he is ready to answer that challenge.

-I have been totally unimpressed with Dowell Loggains the last 3 weeks and I do not really care if Fox is neutering his play calling. I wanted him to use Cohen as a receiver more and we got that with a ton of success. But the run, run, pass play calling is not setting anyone up for success. The lack of 2 step drops and quick passes  into off coverage is a concern and there was no screen game to punish the Panthers for blitzing as much as they did. Pretty weak in game management of the offense.

-It is really hard to assess Trubisky when he is doing so little. He should have been 6/7 for 150 yards if Cohen hadn't dropped 2 passes. The 70 yarder was an awesome play, but the best throw of the day was the back shoulder pass that literally hit Cohen in the back shoulder that he dropped. That was a super accurate pass that Cohen needs to turn back for earlier.

-Cohen has 0 carries and 4 targets in the passing game and if not for a penalty would have had 2 catches for 82 yards. I think this is his best use with his speed, hands and the fact that he is by a wide margin the Bears most dynamic WR. Use the weapon in your weakest area and save him from having to grind between the tackles.

-The Bears WRs are not small guys. McBride is 6'1" and 210lbs and Gentry is 6'2" 210lbs so I am not sure why the Bears are so opposed to using quick passes and running screens and slants. Based on how they block both are not afraid on contact and are very physical players. Lets 2 step drop and throw a couple slants and bubble screens and at least make the CBs and safeties stay awake and not just running down field.

-Kendall Wright- 8 snaps.

-Dion Sims was better this game. His blocking was merely "meh" and not as horrendous as last week.

-Shaheen was on the field which was nice to see and we can confirm he was on a pass route because on the 22 yard Miller reception he absolutely destroyed Jarius Byrd on a block. I would really like to see some plays designed to get him going as the Bears are desperate for weapons.

- I am not going to tell you that the Bears OL was good yesterday. The Bears played an exceptional DL and they really did not play well, although I do not think they were nearly as bad as some would tell you. The Bears OL is fighting against it right now. The lack of passing success, the play calling and predictability and the fact that teams can simply tee off on them leaves them working from behind a lot. They could still be better.

-Bobbie Massie continues to make just enough mistakes that he should be replaced long term.'

-Charles Leno has not been as sharp as you would like a guy who got a good money extension, but he also has not been that bad. He is giving up too much ground to the power rush, which leaves the pocket pressed and tight for Trubisky to move. The Bears however have a ton of success running to his side, so that area has improved.

-Kyle Long has not been himself. He has still be above average, but he is clearly not 100% and probably won't be until he gets the shoulder cleaned up in the offseason.

-Josh Sitton is still good, but he does not really have the athletic ability or range he once had and on a number of plays his inability to reach the playside DT has killed the run play before it has gotten started. He may not need to be replaced in 2018, but 2019 for sure. On one of the sacks Sitton got worked by Mario Addison and gave Trubisky no shot to get a play off.

Defense

-Akiem Hicks really is unbelievable at this point. He spent the entire day against a Pro Bowl OG in Trai Turner and routinely dominated him. He literally drove him back, threw him to the ground, and made plays in the run game behind the line of scrimmage. He is the best player on the defense and as Adam Hoge wrote he should be in consideration for the defensive player of the year award.

-Eddie Goldman should be extended at the end of the season. This was the 2nd weak in a row he was absolutely dominant in the run game. The fact that he gives you a little pass rush is a huge bonus. He has become one of the better NT in the league and he and Hicks are really unblockable when on the field together as you cannot double team both of them.

-Jonathan Bullard must have been held back by the glute injury. He played the most snaps of his career yesterday [38] and was really good. he penetrated on a number of plays and forced cut backs into the defense and he flashed a little of the pocket disruption we were expecting. If Bullard takes a step this could be a special DL and one of the best units in the NFL for a number of years.

-Mitch Unrien really has been an unsung hero of this season. He has been really good against the run and given the Bears valuable snaps.

-Christian Jones continues to impress me. He is never going to be great in coverage, but his play against the run and the way he closes in the open field is really impressive. It has gotten to the point where I think the Bears are going to have a hard time keeping him in the offseason. I could see a number of 3-4 teams offering him 4-6 million/season to come in and start for them as their 2nd ILB. The Colts for instance would make sense and he would instantly be there best ILB.

-Danny Trevathan is awesome.

-Pernell McPhee had his best game and consistently was getting pressure. I am not sure if it was just a good Sunday from him, or if the knee is really improving, but if he can continue to play like this I think the Bears do not need to cut him. Yesterday they got 7 million worth of production from him.

-Leonard Floyd is becoming something. I hope that people see how often he is double teamed and how often the TE and RB line up across from him to chip and take away his speed rush. He changes the offensive plan. Floyd is so frenetic on the field he literally seems like he is everywhere. He won't be in the screen and then you see this blur cross in front of the screen. He had 1 sack on a great move splitting a double team. He could have had 2 more if Newton didn't out weigh him and his relentless pursuit took potential big Cam Newton runs and turned them into short gains. The fact that he can cover Christian McCaffery out of the backfield without embarrassing himself is really impressive and gives the defense a real weapon. Trevathan had a sack and another big hit on Newton because Floyd was able to cover McCafffery and Stewart and Trevathan could blitz. 3 borderline dominant games in a row is a trend.

-Where to start with Eddie Jackson. It is pretty cool that 1 year to the day that he broke his leg he stepped on to the DROY stage. He has been really good all year, showing range and an ability to get his hand on the ball. Yesterday seemed like a guy who broke through from close to star. His fumble recovery was a Carolina mistake, but the fact that he scooped and scored while close to the out of bounds line was impressive. His interception was also impressive as he closed from 10 yards away and took the ball away and never broke stride. The Bears appear to have a FS for the first time in a decade.

-I cannot over state how much better Adrian Amos looks at SS than he did playing the deep middle role that Jackson has taken over. Amos made another nice play on the ball on a 1st down pass intended for the TE and again came down hill and put people on the ground. If he can continue to thrive in the SS role the Bears should consider an extension for Amos. One of the beat guys said he thought the plan was to re-insert Demps into the line up in November when he is healthy, but I am not sure you can break up the mojo these guys have going right now.

-Prince Amukamara is just a really solid #2 CB and I say that as a huge compliment. He consistently is in position to make a play on the ball and made a beautiful play on a 6'5" WR to create the pick 6. When he does get beat he makes a solid tackle and limits YAC. He is so steady and the Bears should discuss extending him as well. Fuller. Cooper, Amukamara seems like a group that you can win with and build with for a couple of years.

-Kyle Fuller continues to play dominant football. His run support is incredible and I jumped out of my seat when he up ended Cam Newton in the open field. He looks so much better and I hope it continues and the Bears can get a deal done with him soon.

Great write up, I couldn't agree more about your assessment of the defense. The entire unit is playing with this confidence that reminds me of the Lovie Smith defenses. Across all levels the tackling has been exceptional and it's becoming impossible to run on us. I did not see the amount of times Floyd was being held but thought he played a very solid game. Can you expand on your criteria for "dominant" I'm not quite sold on Floyd having 3 dominate games yet. 

Marcus Cooper has not really played since his injury and I think that's OK with the level of Fullers play. The last 2 games have been amazing. Eddie Jackson has really cleaned up the back end for us we rarely have safety coverage break downs and his range must force coverage sacks. This draft class is looking very solid so far. 

A few thoughts, on no particular order:

1. The offense has to keep the defense off of the field. It’s incredible that we didn’t see any major injuries given the amount of time the defense was out there.

2. Turnovers win games. Ugly or not, it’s no surprise to me that the Bears have had six takeaways in the past two games and won both.

3. Kyle Fuller is finally starting to show his potential. The Bears declined his fifth-year option, so we’ll see where this goes.

• Agree with alot of this, I sort of am not sure if Fuller is fools gold....the whole big year in a contract season throws me off. Like how many of those big contract year guys pan out for their new team??
  • I hate the offensive coaching as well, in a 17-3 game, I get that you dont want to blow it but there is no reason for that amount of conservative play.
  • I think the Bears are using Cohen well, don't want to move him to full WR. Maybe not this game but he has done well as the backup RB. (is Cunningham still even on the team??) haha
  • Love Floyd but needs to finish more plays.
  • Amos looks great, not saying he is the best player on D (obviously Hicks) but he is my personal favorite so far.

Basically I thought the Bears would be this team. I always liked the D, I think if Freeman was healthy and Kwitakoski still  in the mix our LB group is one of the best in the league, also loved Goldman and Hicks with a full new secondary. I did think the offense would be a bit better and liked Glennon, but pretty much thought a .500 season was ahead.

Archived