Is Zim holding us back?

HeydudemanG

9 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

We didn't really have #4 offense. We had #4 in total yards. But total points scored and passing yards were both mid pack from my memory. Also, remember there was a decent amount of "empty yard stats" when we we were down big in 4th Q and teams were playing prevent defense. Let's not act like we would take our offense above TB (which finished outside the top 5 in total yards gained), which shows how flawed saying "we're the #4 offense" truly is. 

We will see if Darrisaw as a rookie can match a seasoned RR. We will see if Davis even starts as a rookie at RG.

I'd take our rb...does that count.  Maybe at least one wr...Tampa started out pretty rough last year iirc which is part of why they finished outside of the top 5.  I feel pretty confident they will be top 5 barring injuries.

14 hours ago, Heavydan85 said:

I'd take our rb...does that count.  Maybe at least one wr...Tampa started out pretty rough last year iirc which is part of why they finished outside of the top 5.  I feel pretty confident they will be top 5 barring injuries.

We also finished higher than GB in "total yards" so that stat is incredibly misleading. If any high-ranking Viking personnel publically wants to state we were the 4th best offense last year, so that's directly why we concentrated our off-season resources on defense ... that person should be let go. Actually i think Zimmer said that in one of his press conferences....

Total scoring: GB (1st), TB (3rd), MIN (11th)

Passing Yards: TB (2nd), GB (9th), MIN (14th)

While we did run the ball statistically well... basically, we were far from truly being the "4th best offense" last year

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I do think he's not been the best coach ever....and that his conservative nature on O has led to some losses .....but I guess I like him now...

If the O is healthy and not top 7 in scoring, then I'll blame the coaches, starting with him, as he's responsible for their work and plans. They have more than enough talent to be a very good to great O.

10 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I do think he's not been the best coach ever....and that his conservative nature on O has led to some losses .....but I guess I like him now...

If the O is healthy and not top 7 in scoring, then I'll blame the coaches, starting with him, as he's responsible for their work and plans. They have more than enough talent to be a very good to great O.

That chart confirmed to me what I had indicated previously...he may not be the best coach in the world, but he's better than we think he is.  As can be seen also, there is a pretty good reason why he's around and a lot of those in the negative are not.   I am pretty surprised at Nagy being above the mark, but not surprised that he's the lowest of the 3 NFC North HCs that qualified to be included (and still are coaching). 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, swede700 said:

That chart confirmed to me what I had indicated previously...he may not be the best coach in the world, but he's better than we think he is.  As can be seen also, there is a pretty good reason why he's around and a lot of those in the negative are not.   I am pretty surprised at Nagy being above the mark, but not surprised that he's the lowest of the 3 NFC North HCs that qualified to be included (and still are coaching). 

I have no idea how that is calculated at all......I'm more interested in results than theory, and they've missed the playoffs more than made them. Either the FO or coach isn't good enough for me (or both, or the combo, or something). Because if it happens once or so, fluke. If it happens more than that, process/skill is the issue.

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Since 2014, only 8 teams (3 in the NFC, 5 in the AFC) have made the playoffs more than 3 times. 

So my expectations are unrealistic? Possibly.....but that's not how I feel when I look at the roster, and their w/l record (year by year, not overall). Maybe I need to re-***** my expectations.

Just now, PrplChilPill said:

So my expectations are unrealistic? Possibly.....but that's not how I feel when I look at the roster, and their w/l record (year by year, not overall). Maybe I need to re-***** my expectations.

Uh, that was not a swear word.....assess. Must have missed an "s".... :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

I don’t think they are unrealistic per se. Under Zimmer this team has fielded a roster that is playoff worthy nearly each year. So, believing that they’d make the playoffs isn’t an unrealistic feat. 

But with the parity in the NFL, especially in the NFC over that time span, one little mishap can unravel the season. And that’s happened to the Vikings. While the team has only made the playoffs 3 times, they’ve always been in the hunt, except for maybe 2014. But when you look back, one more win in 2016 and they would have made it. One more win, or simply a made FG in OT against GB in 2018 and they would have been in. A win over Chicago in 2020, and they would have gotten in. So, it’s been very close. 

But one this is certain, in that time frame, while they’ve only made it 3 times, they also haven’t had the fall apart seasons or the drop off seasons that many of the other teams with 3 trips or fewer have had.  

• 1 month later...