Examples of Butterfly Effect in football?

biggie.

On 7/12/2021 at 11:47 AM, otg said:

TL;DR

John Elway single handedly ended the Cleveland Browns and might have killed ET's dog.

Art Modell refusing the same stadium deal built off of sin tax that the Cavs and Indians accepted killed the Browns. 

2 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Been on vacation two weeks and ignored all news.  But after reading about Sherman, I feel like there is a butterfly effect brewing from Super Bowl 49.  Carroll calls a pass, leads to Butler's INT.  Defense enraged (remember Sherman's sideline reaction?).

Team falls apart on defense, specifically the LOB, which had nothing to do with the play.  They move on.

Browner in prison for attempted murder.

Earl Thomas inexplicably loses it mentally (ADHD has no bearing that I'm aware of)

Now Sherman basically attempts suicide in a drunken stupor.

Time will tell, I suppose.

Browner was on the other team when that INT was thrown. He had a direct hand in it...

17 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I have no idea how that is your take away from what I posted.

I've seen so many posts across all social media leading up to the title (even just a couple days prior when the series was tied 2-2) suggesting that Giannis hates Bud and wants him fired and that Bud not being fired is the worst outcome for the team that I just read your statement as if you were still saying after them winning the title that the situation you laid out not happening is why Giannis would be regretting signing the supermax, because Bud absolutely won't be fired now for several years. My mistake, and apologies.

On 7/21/2021 at 6:54 AM, Mazrimiv said:

Not football, but if Durant's foot lands two inches further back at the end of game 7...

The Bucks are knocked out in the conf semi's (again)

Bud is fired

Giannis is probably regretting signing the super max.

This is about football lol. 

7 hours ago, pwny said:

I've seen so many posts across all social media leading up to the title (even just a couple days prior when the series was tied 2-2) suggesting that Giannis hates Bud and wants him fired and that Bud not being fired is the worst outcome for the team that I just read your statement as if you were still saying after them winning the title that the situation you laid out not happening is why Giannis would be regretting signing the supermax, because Bud absolutely won't be fired now for several years. My mistake, and apologies.

No worries.  I was genuinely confused by the initial response.  Makes perfect sense now.

On 7/12/2021 at 10:47 AM, otg said:

Instead of being the saddest boy in Houston is ET completely insufferable due to the success of his Elway led Oilers?

I'm completely insufferable right now...

On 7/12/2021 at 10:47 AM, otg said:

John Elway single handedly ended the Cleveland Browns and might have killed ET's dog.

Touch my dog and I'll go into a murderous rage. I love my pups.

I have a good one thats very relevant in today's NFL. Sorry @ET80

It ends with the 49ers drafting Trey Lance.

Which only happened because the 49ers were able to trade with Miami, who had houston's 3rd overall pick. It was available via trade from Miami for three reasons: 

1) They already had a QB they drafted in the top 5 last year, so they werent really interested in another rookie (if they didnt have Tua, more than likely they take Lance or Fields)

2) They didnt trade for desean watson (even though they were his preferred destination) because he is a sexual predator and the timing of the accusations meant he was basically untouchable before the draft

3) GM BOB YOLOd a couple first round picks for a talented LT (tunsil) who wanted to get paid

#3 was only possible because Tunsil, who should have been a top 5 pick, fell in the draft because someone was trying to blackmail him with a picture of a bong gasmask on the day of the draft. Miami realistically got absurdly lucky that a franchise LT fell in their laps. There was no reason for him to fall that far. They ended up getting picks that would turn into the 49ers (hopefully) franchise QB

Considering the draft capital the niners gave up for Lance, either the gasmask bong photo / BOB GM skills / Watson predatory behaviors will combine to be an incredible windfall for the 49ers or something that set them back 5 or more years. 

Now, the tunsil trade wasnt such a bad trade for houston, but the result was about as poor as it could have been given he didnt bust. If they had #3 overall last year, they could have drafted watsons replacement rather easily.... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In 1988, Seattle's trade for QB Kelly Stouffer (the player the Cardinals drafted the year before in the first round, but couldn't sign) had a bigger impact than I thought (I am looking at the Sporting News archives again).

Kelly Stouffer's agent was Mike Blatt, who had no problem working out a contract with Mike McCormack, Seattle's president and GM at the time. However, this is where things get interesting: The Nordstrom family (who owned the Seahawks at the time) was trying to sell the team. Blatt put them in touch with Ken Behring, which turned out to be a mistake (and almost a disaster).

For one, Behring fired McCormack as GM and hired Tom Flores. It was those two who decided to draft Dan McGwire in 1991 over Brett Favre (despite what HC Chuck Knox wanted). The McGwire pick led to the Mirer fail two years later.

Then, Ken Behring almost moved the team to LA in 1996 (before the league stopped him).

Edited by 7DnBrnc53
  • Like 1