MNF Week 7: Redskins @ Eagles

TheRealMcCoy

Who wins?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Mr. You Like That
    • Carson of House Wentz, the First of His Name, the Burnt Orange, King of the Eagles and the First Down, Quarterback of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of 3rd Down Chains, and Son of God

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/24/2017 at 12:35 AM

I don't disagree with anything said above me. I personally think that the Browns should have taken Wentz, because I would rather take the QB, but I don't disagree with what Cleveland was doing either. They evaluated Wentz VERY WRONG. That is their fault. But I can't blame them for taking the haul over what they thought was an average QB. 

At the end of the day, the Browns got Wentz wrong, but the Browns haven't even used all the picks they've gotten from it. If they had taken Watson at 12, and Watson ends up being a franchise QB, then how can you argue against it. So until Cleveland uses all the picks I'll reserve my judgement. And that includes consideration for Garrett and whoever they draft in the top 3 next year, cause Wentz would likely have won some games and lowered their picks.

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Presnap reads, which is a blog created by some guy that is fairly respected (employed by bleacher report or whatever it is), had this to say about Wentz coming into the season;

"Rank: 27th best QB

On a recent episode of Adam Schefter’s Know them from Adam podcast, former Washington GM Scot McCloughan said that Carson Wentz was the best young quarterback in football. McCloughan’s reasoning was Wentz’s size, “With the size, I like those guys. He reminds me of Roethlisberger. The big, thick-boned guy that’s got the strong arm, that’s tough enough to stay in there and make plays.” McCloughan is an accomplished GM and he may be right that Wentz is the best young quarterback in the NFL, the problem is he hasn’t shown it yet. Being a thick and tall quarterback isn’t valuable if you don’t move your feet in the pocket, diagnose coverages or deliver the ball accurately. As a rookie, Wentz was bad. He wasn’t just bad because he was a rookie, he was bad even while acknowledging that he’s a rookie.

He threw 31 interceptable passes and had an interceptable pass rate of 5.11 percent, right next to Blake Bortles. Wentz’s interceptable passes came in different ways but his most consistent mistakes were also his most egregious. He regularly threw the ball too far infield when trying to throw the sideline and his overthrows when attacking the middle of the field were so bad that it often looked like he was targeting the safety who would wait for the ball like a punt returner. It would be easier to assume development from Wentz if he wasn’t just a matter of months younger than Bortles. Wentz also has issues that typically don’t get better with experience.

Everything you do as a quarterback starts with your footwork. Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Tom Brady are always in position to throw the ball, turn to the other side of the field or react to pressure because their feet are always quick and balanced. Wentz showed bad footwork in college before improving at the start of his rookie season. He regressed back to his college form after a couple of weeks. That was when he began planting his heels in the ground, staring down his first read and waiting for the pressure to come before forcing throws. When you root your feet into the ground like that you are shutting down your options as a passer while making your offensive line look bad. Doug Pederson runs a quarterback-friendly offense that gives Wentz opportunities to get rid of the ball quickly, that should help him be productive in spite of his flaws. But once it comes to making the difficult play and playing against good defenses, Wentz will have major problems.

Did you know?

Carson Wentz’s receivers led the league in created receptions, inaccurate passes that resulted in a completion. The group ranked 15th in failed reception rate, 7.25 percent of the time a receiver turned an accurate pass into an incompletion."

He also had Cam as 2nd best, so I think he's as credible as drunken text message. But, probably worth laying down for the Eagles fans and Blaq. Some posters in here like his stuff. Wentz, seems to have put a lot of that right. 

Eagles receivers last year were absolute garbage and dropped SO many passes.

tl;dr That's all in the first 9 games, and there are 24 passes there which should have been caught. The official drop statistic is more friendly towards the WR than the QB.

3 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

2) The amount of anti-Wentz hot takes on that thread are delicious (several non Browns fans too) and many who even touted Kizer as just as good. 

That's the funny part to me more than anything else. I could have told you after a few weeks into this season that Kizer wasn't the answer for Cleveland. Now, did Cleveland ruin Kizer, or was Kizer just never going to be any good in this level? Maybe a bit of both. Kizer's level of futility is rather astounding even for a Browns QB.

9 hours ago, Danger said:

Eagles receivers last year were absolute garbage and dropped SO many passes.

tl;dr That's all in the first 9 games, and there are 24 passes there which should have been caught. The official drop statistic is more friendly towards the WR than the QB.

That was my first reaction. But this guy seems to think he throws an awful lot of interceptable balls as well that his receivers bailed him out on. That true, or?

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

That was my first reaction. But this guy seems to think he throws an awful lot of interceptable balls as well that his receivers bailed him out on. That true, or?

I feel like that article leads the league in made up stats. "Interceptable balls"? "Created receptions"? Those are not real stats. 

You can't just make up a stat for something that might of happened if circumstances were different. 

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Not at all. Nelson Agholor was LITERALLY the worst receiver in the league last year according to PFF. Jordan Matthews had his fair share of drops and is no longer with the team. We cut Josh Huff and Dorial Green Beckham because they sucked. The only decent player we had was Zach Ertz and even he wasn't doing super well until the last month of the season.

On 10/24/2017 at 2:48 AM, Nabbs4u said:

Disagree. What the Browns Did or Didn't do as a result of that trade directly effects 2 games a season for the Steelers for years to come. Just saying. 

My point was that the Browns as an organization are a black hole. Let's say Wentz ultimately is a First Ballot Hall of Famer. Had he gone to Cleveland he would've turned into Ryan Leaf instead because Cleveland is where talent goes to die.

On 10/25/2017 at 3:52 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

He definitely threw a healthy amount last year.  That was one of my knocks on him for certain. I'd say he's cut that down pretty drastically this season though. He's still inclined to make a poor read or throw, probably more often than a top QB should. However, it is way fewer and farther between and not unsurprising for a 2nd year QB.

Archived