Help me learn..

jdhommert

I tried to put this in the most appropriate forum, but feel free to move it. 

I'll try not to make this too long or messy. Knowing me, that isn't going to happen lol

Intro-Former Stl Rams fan, I was heavy into the draft from like 11-15ish. After the Rams moved I was so emotionally broken and triggered that I gave up the NFL all together for years . Dont ever take your team for granted no matter how bad they are. The worst football team in the world is infinitely better than no football team. I miss everything that comes with being so invested in the entire roster, the season/games, draft process etc.  No matter how hard I try, I cant get myself hardcore interested or emotionally attached to another team. But I'm trying to get back into it, learn a ton more and all. If nothing else it will help me with fantasy football I've started playing lol Anyway...

I was somewhat familiar with this stuff and learned more on this forum than anywhere else back then. I want to re-learn what I forgot and get much better. So where can you guys send me to really learn the stuff? Not just look at highlights or whatever. I want to specifically learn how to evaluate what a great route is, how to eval a QB etc. I was pretty good at RB/WR because I have a simple rule of thumb- Did the player make that play great or was it the situation or play call? Open field, defenders far away, massive hole in the line etc. Its so simple but lord it served me well. I remember pounding the table for Hopkins because I remember watching his college highlights and SO many of his highlights were him going up and getting the ball with defenders on his back etc. 

I think a lot of what I'm missing is technique type things. Its pretty easy to see a coaches film view and see a safety read/close in, a CB defend a pass, or did the OL or DL win? Easy to look at a throw/ball placement and ball velocity, but what about throw mechanics, release, going through reads, instincts? Do I just look and see how many times/plays a QB moves his head to look for the next guy?I remember most of what a 1/3/5 tech is, I remember I learned a lot here about LB or DL responsibilities during a play etc. I forgot all that though. For WR a "good route" to me is a guy that makes a good quick change of direction and/or makes a move that loses his DB...but that could also just be on the DB too. What separates great vs ok/bad, just how quick and fluid the guy changes directions? Isn't there supposed to be a certain amount of steps in each route?

I hear people say this guy just 100% isn't an NFL QB and that guy is a prototype NFL QB...what in the world makes that a thing? Its like some guys are born to do it, some guys could never ever do it just from watching tape. I have no idea how to make that jump. I guess scheme/arm strength and all go into it....again I just dont know how to really eval a lot of stuff and make up my own mind. So many things I just dont know whats good and whats bad during the eval process. It would be great if everyone said *why* they love/hate each player specifically. Sometimes I would find people that listed strengths/weaknesses and then go watch for those specific things on that specific player to try to get an idea of what good or bad ____ even was.

I've always been a "everyone else says this guy is special so I'll watch and see if I agree" and then using my "was it the player or the situation around the player that made that play special" method, never really knowing how to evaluate the actual process like technique, hand placement, what the player is looking at, mental stuff blah blah you get the picture

So what resources can you guys recommend? Youtube videos, blogs, twitter follows or whatever. I remember someone linking a video on another forum of a guy breaking down why blitzing Mahomes is a horrible idea and he had a great video where I really learned something opposed to just watching to every other video showing highlights of great plays. It was pre super bowl iirc, but I cant find that video to save my life. Whoever was saying that guys YT feed was great for breaking down NFL stuff like that, I wish I could find it. I've been trying to search and read on here but I havent seen that much stuff that really helped me learn a lot, but its also not peak draft season either.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jdhommert said:

So what resources can you guys recommend? Youtube videos, blogs, twitter follows or whatever. I remember someone linking a video on another forum of a guy breaking down why blitzing Mahomes is a horrible idea and he had a great video where I really learned something opposed to just watching to every other video showing highlights of great plays. It was pre super bowl iirc, but I cant find that video to save my life. Whoever was saying that guys YT feed was great for breaking down NFL stuff like that, I wish I could find it. I've been trying to search and read on here but I havent seen that much stuff that really helped me learn a lot, but its also not peak draft season either.

Welcome back. I too was disappointed to see the Rams leave St. Louis. It really left a void. No surprise that people turned out by the thousands when the XFL brought football back to the city.

I'm not much on football analysis and draft evaluations, but I can point out a few guys who are. For a general overview of the draft by a guy who seems to know almost every prospect, I recommend Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings which has become an institution here since you left. For Youtube analysts I recommend Brett Kollmann and AlexRollinsNFL. In this video for example, Rollins goes into how Bucs DC Todd Bowles shut down Mahomes with some major adjustments to his defense (which Mahomes had torched in the regular season when they blitzed him 39% of the time).

I wish you luck with getting back into the groove!

7 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

Welcome back. I too was disappointed to see the Rams leave St. Louis. It really left a void. No surprise that people turned out by the thousands when the XFL brought football back to the city.

I'm not much on football analysis and draft evaluations, but I can point out a few guys who are. For a general overview of the draft by a guy who seems to know almost every prospect, I recommend Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings which has become an institution here since you left. For Youtube analysts I recommend Brett Kollmann and AlexRollinsNFL. In this video for example, Rollins goes into how Bucs DC Todd Bowles shut down Mahomes with some major adjustments to his defense (which Mahomes had torched in the regular season when they blitzed him 39% of the time).

Thanks! I'm actually watching a Bootleg Football video right now with Kollman on it.

On 6/27/2021 at 11:31 AM, jdhommert said:

I tried to put this in the most appropriate forum, but feel free to move it. 

I'll try not to make this too long or messy. Knowing me, that isn't going to happen lol

Intro-Former Stl Rams fan, I was heavy into the draft from like 11-15ish. After the Rams moved I was so emotionally broken and triggered that I gave up the NFL all together for years . Dont ever take your team for granted no matter how bad they are. The worst football team in the world is infinitely better than no football team. I miss everything that comes with being so invested in the entire roster, the season/games, draft process etc.  No matter how hard I try, I cant get myself hardcore interested or emotionally attached to another team. But I'm trying to get back into it, learn a ton more and all. If nothing else it will help me with fantasy football I've started playing lol Anyway...

I was somewhat familiar with this stuff and learned more on this forum than anywhere else back then. I want to re-learn what I forgot and get much better. So where can you guys send me to really learn the stuff? Not just look at highlights or whatever. I want to specifically learn how to evaluate what a great route is, how to eval a QB etc. I was pretty good at RB/WR because I have a simple rule of thumb- Did the player make that play great or was it the situation or play call? Open field, defenders far away, massive hole in the line etc. Its so simple but lord it served me well. I remember pounding the table for Hopkins because I remember watching his college highlights and SO many of his highlights were him going up and getting the ball with defenders on his back etc. 

I think a lot of what I'm missing is technique type things. Its pretty easy to see a coaches film view and see a safety read/close in, a CB defend a pass, or did the OL or DL win? Easy to look at a throw/ball placement and ball velocity, but what about throw mechanics, release, going through reads, instincts? Do I just look and see how many times/plays a QB moves his head to look for the next guy?I remember most of what a 1/3/5 tech is, I remember I learned a lot here about LB or DL responsibilities during a play etc. I forgot all that though. For WR a "good route" to me is a guy that makes a good quick change of direction and/or makes a move that loses his DB...but that could also just be on the DB too. What separates great vs ok/bad, just how quick and fluid the guy changes directions? Isn't there supposed to be a certain amount of steps in each route?

I hear people say this guy just 100% isn't an NFL QB and that guy is a prototype NFL QB...what in the world makes that a thing? Its like some guys are born to do it, some guys could never ever do it just from watching tape. I have no idea how to make that jump. I guess scheme/arm strength and all go into it....again I just dont know how to really eval a lot of stuff and make up my own mind. So many things I just dont know whats good and whats bad during the eval process. It would be great if everyone said *why* they love/hate each player specifically. Sometimes I would find people that listed strengths/weaknesses and then go watch for those specific things on that specific player to try to get an idea of what good or bad ____ even was.

I've always been a "everyone else says this guy is special so I'll watch and see if I agree" and then using my "was it the player or the situation around the player that made that play special" method, never really knowing how to evaluate the actual process like technique, hand placement, what the player is looking at, mental stuff blah blah you get the picture

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

For route running, and especially that focuses on some upcoming prospects, you can check out First Down Training on YouTube 

I learned a lot watching that channel. 

12 hours ago, RTTRUTH said:

For route running, and especially that focuses on some upcoming prospects, you can check out First Down Training on YouTube 

I learned a lot watching that channel. 

Killer, thanks! I'll check it out for sure!!!

On 6/27/2021 at 11:53 PM, y*so*blu said:

After looking at Kollmans channel, it was him who made the video I was talking about regarding being better off about not blitzing Mahomes and why etc, it was him it just didnt have the name of the video I thought it would. I'm definitely going to watch a lot more of his stuff! 

• Like 1