F9 (2021)

seminoles1

I don't want to entirely derail this thread buuuuut

32 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Hooray for theaters!

I moved mid pandemic and now live alone for the first time in my life. My old roommate was a massive movie nerd. Whenever almost any slightly anticipated movie was coming out, we both assumed we'd be there together opening night or that weekend. Big dumb pop-corn flicks like this, ambitious but ultimately doomed sci-fi, anything Marvel, Star Wars, DC, etc. Now I live in another state where the only person I know is an old college buddy who isnt big on movies and is a chef so he works prime movie going nights anyways. The pandemic really pushed this realization off, but it's the first thing I really hate about living alone. 

• Like 2

I saw it last night, and let me just say, it IS as bad as you've heard. I enjoyed F5-8 and even Hobbs & Shaw (I own all of them on Blu-Ray/4K), but OMG was this a mess. Plot holes, dumb jokes, bad acting and even the stunts were mindblowingly-fake, even by F&F standards. Guys in the back of my theater were literally laughing when

Spoiler

the plane with magnets caught Tej's car in midair.

and countless other headscratchingly-stupid stunts/scenes. My jaw dropped when:

Spoiler

a truck falls on top of Roman and he somehow survives. You read that right. Taj even says "how are you not dead?" It's like the writers know this sh!t is batsh!t insane, LOL.

They also kinda admit it during the car in space scene, yes, that also happened.

Edited by KManX89

I went in with little hope and zero expectations.

And this surprised me. I actually enjoyed it. And when comparing it to other series in the super hero mold lately. Like Star Wars and Avengers. Its at a freakin Gone With The Wind level in comparison. It obliterates all in the genre. Even with a few hokie scenes in play.

25 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

Don’t plan on seeing this till it hits one of the streaming services. They just get worse and worse for me, and the stunts are just to over the top at this point. Didn’t even finish F8.

I've been in the same boat, but I haven't seen anything since F6. What this franchise is now is such a slap in the face to what the first movie was.

37 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

Don’t plan on seeing this till it hits one of the streaming services. They just get worse and worse for me, and the stunts are just to over the top at this point. Didn’t even finish F8.

Theres only a couple spots where things get really outrageous. One KMAX mentioned. And the car rope swing shown in the commercials. The rest wernt as over-the-top as the previous couple flicks had been. And the magnet section I thought an actual fresh idea which they worked pretty well. Plus the storyline, for what it was, which was nothing special. But things actually made sense in relation. Unlike any other superhero tale put out the past decade.

Like I said. Anyone that can follow along the level of idiocy and nonsense such tales as Infinity Wars or the likes provides. Should be looking at this story as Gone With The Wind or Shawshank Redemption in comparison.

9 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Theres only a couple spots where things get really outrageous. One KMAX mentioned. And the car rope swing shown in the commercials. The rest wernt as over-the-top as the previous couple flicks had been. And the magnet section I thought an actual fresh idea which they worked pretty well. Plus the storyline, for what it was, which was nothing special. But things actually made sense in relation. Unlike any other superhero tale put out the past decade.

Like I said. [b]Anyone that can follow along the level of idiocy and nonsense such tales as Infinity Wars or the likes provides. Should be looking at this story as Gone With The Wind or Shawshank Redemption in comparison.[/b]

Ice Cube Reaction GIF

Edited by Fresh Prince
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

Ice Cube Reaction GIF

Ill put it like this. Unlike Infinity War. Nowhere in F9 will someone be so distraught over their blowup dolls battery removal that they cant make the battlefield. 

So like I said. Story isnt great. But it makes more sense than the competition.

1 hour ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Ill put it like this. Unlike Infinity War. Nowhere in F9 will someone be so distraught over their blowup dolls battery removal that they cant make the battlefield. 

So like I said. Story isnt great. But it makes more sense than the competition.

This is such a laughably bad take....but nonetheless, if youre going to the NINTH installment of the FF series...starring Vin Diesel and John Cena...for the story....youre doing it wrong.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, 43M said:

This is such a laughably bad take....but nonetheless, if youre going to the NINTH installment of the FF series for the story....youre doing it wrong.

How is that a bad take? Im not 12 so the sense that scene made with her not being out there fighting due to a romantic connection with her overcharged talking vibrator is justified. How many troops loading up for Normandy said, "Well... Im just to emotional about leaving my fleshlight to go fight Hitler just now. Maybe later."

But from what Ive seen. There are billions of issues with those movies.  Like in that Thor movie. How can a guy that produces lightning. Get electrocuted by some little thing on his neck? 

Like I said. The F9 story isnt great. But it flows and doesnt seem to just randomly make up and defy their own rules as it goes along.

How is that a bad take? Im not 12 so the sense that scene made with her not being out there fighting due to a romantic connection with her overcharged talking vibrator is justified. How many troops loading up for Normandy said, "Well... Im just to emotional about leaving my fleshlight to go fight Hitler just now. Maybe later."

First off, I never said there weren't issues with numerous MCU movies.  There inarguably are.

Secondly, I havent watched Infinity War for awhile, so Im not sure what you're referring to with the way youve so....eloquently...explained it.

I just think its silly to take one small part and nitpick it like its some huge glaring plothole....which the FF series is rather notorious for.

But from what Ive seen. There are billions of issues with those movies.  Like in that Thor movie. How can a guy that produces lightning. Get electrocuted by some little thing on his neck? 

There is case to be made here....but Ill give it to you since its not explained one way or another.

Like I said. The F9 story isnt great. But it flows and doesnt seem to just randomly make up and defy their own rules as it goes along.

I havent seen F9, but....seriously?   The entire FF franchise is built around that.   

You can name and list every issue with the MCU and I will probably agree with you in most cases....but the Furious franchise is a laughable mess from top to bottom when it comes to defying rules and logic.