Who is the "next big superstar"?

Tk3

7 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Dont agree with this take at all, this take suggests he doesn't have any upside to improve. A) He actually excelled reading defenses for the most part at the college level (so much that he was often times over confident in his abilities and waited for a specific route to come open and took unnecessary sacks as well as being over confident in his OL which was damn good, the Bears will naturally get him adjusted to the speed of the game) B) I don't think he has any more propensity to get banged up than any other QB in his class, all of his injuries were freak situations, he wasn't some reckless player looking for contact like you suggest. 

Also, based off of those two assessments you think he busts? (As if the team hasn't broken him down to a T and hasn't already come up with a play for success at the NFL level?) come on.....

But a horrible OL....And from what I heard, the offense is struggling because of it. The Bengals easily could have taken Sewell and offered Zeitler a decent contract (who used to play for the Bengals) and it would have been a world of a difference to the team. Sure Chase/Higgins/Boyd look good on paper, but the game is won in the trenches, or the team will be extremely predictable nickel and diming their way down the field in which DBs will be squatting on routes knowing he wont be beat deep. I fear Burrow is going to be the Bengals version of Tim Couch (A really good QB who never fulfilled his potential because of his OL was terrible)

What evidence do you have that he was excellent at reading defenses?

And you just said that the team that has never had a franchise QB has a plan for him? I'm sure they had one for Trubisky too. Of course now we can just blame that on Mitch, but at the end of the day, he and Fields were both highly drafted and talented prospects.

It's really difficult to evaluate Fields. He likely played with the first or second best supporting cast in the entire country the past two years. I think most of his success came from being in that situation, and yes I think he will be a bust. I'll gladly admit I'm wrong if that doesn't happen, should be interesting.

On 6/28/2021 at 11:50 AM, ET80 said:

- Herbert and Kyler come to mind (IMO, Allen is there). 

- RBs Jonathan Taylor, Cam Akers and Antonio Gipson are guys who can take that spot.

- CeeDee Lamb will get a lot of run with Dak at QB, look for him to get run as a darkhorse All Pro option.

- Budda Baker already got paid, but isn't really a well known name to the casual fan, that changes.

- AJ Epenesa should get an expanded role in Buffalo, and he has the ability to be a 10+ sack guy who gets significant attention.

I love that you mentioned Epenesa, I really liked him as a prospect and really wanted the Dolphins to draft him. He’s really versatile and can line up all over the place, I think Flores could have worked wonders with him and our hybrid/multiple front defense. I think he could be a similar player to Justin Smith from the 49ers used to be.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jdolphins18 said:

I love that you mentioned Epenesa, I really liked him as a prospect and really wanted the Dolphins to draft him. He’s really versatile and can line up all over the place, I think Flores could have worked wonders with him and our hybrid/multiple front defense. I think he could be a similar player to Justin Smith from the 49ers used to be.

I was/am livid that the Texans chose Ross Blacklock - a 43 DT coming off of a significant ankle injury - over Epenesa, who I had pegged as a natural heir apparent to JJ Watt.

He's so violent with his hands, uses them so effectively - he would have picked up a bunch from Watt and turned into a beast.

Oh well. Thanks BoB.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I was/am livid that the Texans chose Ross Blacklock - a 43 DT coming off of a significant ankle injury - over Epenesa, who I had pegged as a natural heir apparent to JJ Watt.

He's so violent with his hands, uses them so effectively - he would have picked up a bunch from Watt and turned into a beast.

Oh well. Thanks BoB.

If training camp is any indication, Epenesa is in for a big year. 

Granted Dion Dawkins hasn’t been at camp yet, but all reports from media and players is Epenesa look totally different this season and is poised for a lot of 1 on 1 opportunities.

21 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Granted Dion Dawkins hasn’t been at camp yet, but all reports from media and players is Epenesa look totally different this season and is poised for a lot of 1 on 1 opportunities.

If he's getting 1v1s, he's going to dominate - I was SO high on Epenesa, I think he's going to be a special player.

13 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

What evidence do you have that he was excellent at reading defenses?

And you just said that the team that has never had a franchise QB has a plan for him? I'm sure they had one for Trubisky too. Of course now we can just blame that on Mitch, but at the end of the day, he and Fields were both highly drafted and talented prospects.

It's really difficult to evaluate Fields. He likely played with the first or second best supporting cast in the entire country the past two years. I think most of his success came from being in that situation, and yes I think he will be a bust. I'll gladly admit I'm wrong if that doesn't happen, should be interesting.

Uh.........film, being able to see the coverage pre snap. You know when he used to throw that 7-10 yard hitch as soon as he got the snap? it was because he knew there was going to be off coverage. When you understand football you would know these things, these are things taught be Ryan Day, understanding how defenses try to disguise coverage, that's why tOSU does a lot of motion to show what that coverage is, this is like the first thing he does with his QBs. When you coach and or played at a high level you understand these things, he has automatic throws based off the coverage, I actually implore you to go back to watch games with this mindset and see the game differently.

As far as comparing prospects come on, Trubisky was a wildly overrated QB who was a one year wonder when you had guys who we uber talented franchise QBs sitting right in front of them in Watson and Mahomes. I feel the same about this draft, there is a prospect that also was drafted at #2 that benefitted from one great year of production and he was picked over by a guy who has been lights out the second he touched the field at tOSU. 

Even deeper, Trubisky and Fields are two different classes as far as skills/potential, if they were to go back as prospects, Fields would easily be drafted over him, im not really a fan of comparing them as if they are even because they are not. But as you said, it will be interesting to see moving forward.

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

I was a huge Epenesa fan at Iowa, his technique was impeccable but his athleticism was the one thing that was going to hold him back. He looks like he got his body into good shape, hopefully he spent the offseason explosion training.

5 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I was a huge Epenesa fan at Iowa, his technique was impeccable but his athleticism was the one thing that was going to hold him back. He looks like he got his body into good shape, hopefully he spent the offseason explosion training.

He said today he’s currently at 255 but would like to be at 260 and stay there.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

He said today he’s currently at 255 but would like to be at 260 and stay there.

That front could be one of the scariest in the NFL if those guys play up to their potential. It looks kinda like how Washington they accumulated high end DL prospects and became a force to be reckoned with. 

17 hours ago, Kirill said:

Trey Smith RG Kansas City. We struck gold with this pickup a 6th rd pick and day 1 all pro caliber guard.

As a Vols fan, I am glad to hear he is doing so well. He was the number 1 prospect coming out of high school for a reason, the talent was always there, he just came into the disaster that is the Tennessee football program

3 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

That front could be one of the scariest in the NFL if those guys play up to their potential. It looks kinda like how Washington they accumulated high end DL prospects and became a force to be reckoned with. 

The potential is definitely there with Epenesa, Rousseau and Boogie. Just hope they all put it together!