Around the NFL

tonyto36

More signs of trouble in Pittsburgh.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21122232/martavis-bryant-pittsburgh-steelers-wants-source-affirms

For all their talent, it feels like that team is a year away from completely imploding with Ben retiring and an exodus of talent from cap issues.  Next year they're already set to be 10 million over the cap even without resigning Leveon Bell

Their offense is 90% Bell and Brown. We have shown to be good at taking something away from teams, and they continue to prove that they can't play defense against us. Or, play the wrong type of defense. If they ever sort that out, then I'll consider us underdogs against them. For now though, KC are more concerning.

On 10/23/2017 at 11:18 AM, mcmurtry86 said:

They're still 5-2 and will win the division easily, assuming Roethlisberger is reasonably healthy. Could get a bye week as well and the #1 seed wouldn't shock me. 

I doubt it. Pittsburgh has a bad tendency to lose games they're favored in and this is the time of the year we start to heat up.

On 10/23/2017 at 3:18 PM, mcmurtry86 said:

They're still 5-2 and will win the division easily, assuming Roethlisberger is reasonably healthy. Could get a bye week as well and the #1 seed wouldn't shock me. 

I was talking about next year.

Regardless, the Steelers for all their talent, Tomlin finds a way to lose games they have no business losing.   I'd be surprised if they got the #1 seed, especially considering that would almost assuredly have to involve them beating Brady.

3 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

I was talking about next year.

Regardless, the Steelers for all their talent, Tomlin finds a way to lose games they have no business losing.   I'd be surprised if they got the #1 seed, especially considering that would almost assuredly have to involve them beating Brady.

They play in a cupcake division. KC is likely to lose another division game or 2 on top of another loss or 2. 

Tomlin sucks majorly but their schedule and overall talent level makes them easily a top 3 seed barring something crazy. And of the top 3, the Pats and Chiefs have more difficult schedules and I don't trust either KC or New England to put up 12 wins. Could be a year where the #2 seed is 11-5

5 hours ago, everlong said:

I doubt it. Pittsburgh has a bad tendency to lose games they're favored in and this is the time of the year we start to heat up.

Not going to heat up with Patricia and senile Belichick at the helm, right?

As for heating up - the schedule gets difficult and it's unlikely they get through continuing to avoid major injuries (especially on offense). 6-3 down the stretch seems a little more likely to me than 7-2 or better. They're 5-2 with near perfect health on offense playing mediocre or bad teams. The increased cohesiveness on D can only go so far.

Still like their chances to get to the Super Bowl but it's going to be a tough, ugly road this year

"Near perfect" is a bit of an over-statement. They lost Edelman and Mitchell for the year, Gronk missed a game, Burkhead missed 3, Brady's hurt his non-throwing shoulder, Garcia is on IR and both Solder and Cannon have been hobbled. It's not disastrous, but it's pretty far from perfect.

14 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

"Near perfect" is a bit of an over-statement. They lost Edelman and Mitchell for the year, Gronk missed a game, Burkhead missed 3, Brady's hurt his non-throwing shoulder, Garcia is on IR and both Solder and Cannon have been hobbled. It's not disastrous, but it's pretty far from perfect.

Garcia doesn't count and I'm referring to in-season injuries only since they had time to adapt to Edelman and Mitchell going out (and Mitchell might return anyway).

Since week 1, none of their key players have gone down with a major injury. That's likely to change with Cooks, Hogan, Amendola or Gronkowski going down with a season ender sometime in the next 6-8 weeks

2 hours ago, mcmurtry86 said:

Garcia doesn't count and I'm referring to in-season injuries only since they had time to adapt to Edelman and Mitchell going out (and Mitchell might return anyway).

Since week 1, none of their key players have gone down with a major injury. That's likely to change with Cooks, Hogan, Amendola or Gronkowski going down with a season ender sometime in the next 6-8 weeks

Why is that likely to change? What statistics are there on that? They've already lost 1 (maybe 2) WRs for the year with knee injuries, why are they likely to lose another just because those 2 happened in pre-season? Maybe they will, maybe they won't, but they're not more likely to just because they haven't since august.

15 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

Why is that likely to change? What statistics are there on that? They've already lost 1 (maybe 2) WRs for the year with knee injuries, why are they likely to lose another just because those 2 happened in pre-season? Maybe they will, maybe they won't, but they're not more likely to just because they haven't since august.

Well in the past decade the Patriots have had, on average, 4 guys hit IR prior to week 1. That more or less tracks with this season with 5 guys (Jules, Cyrus, Rivers, McClellin, and Valentine). Also in that time frame, the Patriots have had on average 6 guys hit IR during the regular or post-season. The lowest number being 3 just last year. We haven't had one person yet hit IR in season, so it is bound to happen based on the fact that, in the past, it always has. Also, those numbers are all based on contributors, no ST only, DNPs or IR stashes. To further support @mcmurtry86 assertion that one of our main offensive contributors is likely to go down, here are recent years big hits:

2016: Gronk

2015: Blount, Flowers, Lewis, Mayo, Solder, Wendell

2014: Mayo, Ridley (HM Easly, Siliga, Dobson)

2013: Edelman, Stallworth

2012: Gronk, Mayo, Vereen, Vollmer, Wilfork

2011: Carter, Koppen, Wright

2010: Bodden, Faulk, Kaczur, Neal, Warren, Wright

Again, all in season injuries. 

Archived