Free Agent WR Demaryius Thomas declares retirement

TheKillerNacho

1 hour ago, Starless said:

During the Peyton Manning years he was pretty firmly the 2nd most productive WR in the league, behind Calvin Johnson. It's a pity that the Achilles injury made it impossible for him to keep going at a high level after he left Denver, or he'd have had a shot at the HOF. 

There is really one defining moment in Demaryius Thomas's career that we will all look back on. Tim Tebow MADE Demaryius Thomas.

tebow-steelers-5.0.gif

@ET80? 🤔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Starless said:

During the Peyton Manning years he was pretty firmly the 2nd most productive WR in the league, behind Calvin Johnson. It's a pity that the Achilles injury made it impossible for him to keep going at a high level after he left Denver, or he'd have had a shot at the HOF. 

Yeah...he has some eye popping stats. DT was one of the most dominate WRs in the past 10 seasons or so but I bet if you were to poll this entire forum he wouldnt even be put in peoples top 10. So underappreciated man....

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

"Good". "Decent".

Put some respect on his name.

A simply dominant player at his best.

I stated my opinion he was a good player but didn’t have the longevity the better receivers ahead of him had. Since you want to bring up stats He didn’t retire top 50 in receiving yards will get passed up eventually by the younger WRs still playing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

I stated my opinion he was a good player but didn’t have the longevity the better receivers ahead of him had. Since you want to bring up stats He didn’t retire top 50 in receiving yards will get passed up eventually by the younger WRs still playing.

But I thought 'peak dominance' outweighed longevity? At least thats what the basketball people say

8 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

But I thought 'peak dominance' outweighed longevity? At least thats what the basketball people say

It’s about the right mix of both. I have Kareem and Duncan higher on my all time list then most people.

Edited by Blackstar12

25 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

He wasn't just a good player though, was he?

He was, at worst, an excellent player that was dominant over a few year period.

I think the lack of "respect" from a lot of people in regards to Thomas comes from the fact that elite production basically only came when Peyton Manning was there. And a lot of people feel that a lot of the top 10-15 wideouts at that time would have put up similarly dominant numbers. Prior to Manning he was consistently injured and didn't produce much at all, Manning comes and hes that 1300+ receiver. Manning leaves and he has one more season right at 1000 yards and he declined every year after that for the next 3 seasons before being out of the league entirely last season. 

Thomas was a great wideout. He was a ridiculous athlete. But there's no question Peyton Manning played a huge part in him becoming an elite WR. I don't think there is any argument he was ever better than Calvin Johnson, and I don't care what any numbers say, Megatron put up similar or better numbers in a much worse situation overall. And put him with Manning in his athletic prime and records would have been shattered. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mr Raider said:

I think the lack of "respect" from a lot of people in regards to Thomas comes from the fact that elite production basically only came when Peyton Manning was there. And a lot of people feel that a lot of the top 10-15 wideouts at that time would have put up similarly dominant numbers. Prior to Manning he was consistently injured and didn't produce much at all, Manning comes and hes that 1300+ receiver. Manning leaves and he has one more season right at 1000 yards and he declined every year after that for the next 3 seasons before being out of the league entirely last season. 

Thomas was a great wideout. He was a ridiculous athlete. But there's no question Peyton Manning played a huge part in him becoming an elite WR. I don't think there is any argument he was ever better than Calvin Johnson, and I don't care what any numbers say, Megatron put up similar or better numbers in a much worse situation overall. And put him with Manning in his athletic prime and records would have been shattered. 

He was the 1st WR taken in the draft (ahead of Dez Bryant) in 2010. He had a pedigree of being a really good prospect so putting his entire career solely on being a byproduct of Peyton Manning is a little harsh. It wasnt like DT was some sort of unknown Julian Edelman type player that emerged out of nowhere because of QB play.

He was injured a ton with Orton/Tebow, got healthy for a long stretch with Peyton and then physically fell apart once he was released from Denver. The question with DT was never his talent, but health. He was essentially robbed anywhere from 3-6 years of great football because of injuries and he should have blown every receiving record Rod Smith set for Denver out of the water.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

He was the 1st WR taken in the draft (ahead of Dez Bryant) in 2010. He had a pedigree of being a really good prospect so putting his entire career solely on being a byproduct of Peyton Manning is a little harsh. It wasnt like DT was some sort of unknown Julian Edelman type player that emerged out of nowhere because of QB play.

He was injured a ton with Orton/Tebow, got healthy for a long stretch with Peyton and then physically fell apart once he was released from Denver. The question with DT was never his talent, but health. He was essentially robbed anywhere from 3-6 years of great football because of injuries and he should have blown every receiving record Rod Smith set for Denver out of the water.

I get that, and I agree with you to a point. He was a first round pick based almost entirely on his ridiculous athletic ability and size. He was absolutely a freak athlete. But those athletic traits were only taken advantage of as much as a lot of people would expect when he had one of the best to ever do it throwing him the ball. 

I'm personally not blaming him specifically, and I fully acknowledge he had some very poor QB play outside of his time with Manning that played a huge part. I'm just kind of throwing out my personal theory why someone with that type of production for a 4 or 5 year stretch doesn't get as much love as some other guys that did similar things for a similar time frame. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Raider said:

I get that, and I agree with you to a point. He was a first round pick based almost entirely on his ridiculous athletic ability and size. He was absolutely a freak athlete. But those athletic traits were only taken advantage of as much as a lot of people would expect when he had one of the best to ever do it throwing him the ball. 

I'm personally not blaming him specifically, and I fully acknowledge he had some very poor QB play outside of his time with Manning that played a huge part. I'm just kind of throwing out my personal theory why someone with that type of production for a 4 or 5 year stretch doesn't get as much love as some other guys that did similar things for a similar time frame. 

This was the most well thought out and respectful 'i disagree with you' response I have ever seen on these here message boards. @NudeTayne could learn a thing or two.

• Like 2

The torn labrum he suffered in 2015 and played through is as responsible for the declining production as the bad QBs. It’s a testament to how much his route running improved (as well as an understanding of how to use his size to box out defenders) that he was still able to be a productive receiver at that point even with a lot of the athleticism stripped away.