Free Agent WR Demaryius Thomas declares retirement

TheKillerNacho

20 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

The torn labrum he suffered in 2015 and played through is as responsible for the declining production as the bad QBs. It’s a testament to how much his route running improved (as well as an understanding of how to use his size to box out defenders) that he was still able to be a productive receiver at that point even with a lot of the athleticism stripped away. 

I still feel like we were robbed of watching a All-Decade type of talent. He was so good. So explosive, so big, strong, fast, ect. He started his rookie season off by tearing his achilles and it just never seemed like the full height/weight/speed package he was in at Georgia Tech ever came together longterm. Since he did progress so much as a route runner (his biggest knock in college) it would have been awesome to see his physicality blended with the route running he learned later in Denver.

He was great for those 5 years with Peyton but I just feel like he was capable of so much more if he wasnt constantly working back from or battling injuries. Sort of like TY Hilton in a sense where there is just always something going on injury wise.

Edited by AkronsWitness

Demaryius to me is one of the most over-rated players of the last decade or so.

It’s just funny to think about how low key of a signing Emmanuel Sanders was for Denver.

Thomas was wildly over-rated.

Sanders meanwhile is one of the most under-rated players of the last twenty years. He carried that receiving corps to the title with Peyton. 

12 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I still feel like we were robbed of watching a All-Decade type of talent. He was so good. So explosive, so big, strong, fast, ect. He started his rookie season off by tearing his achilles and it just never seemed like the full height/weight/speed package he was in at Georgia Tech ever came together longterm. Since he did progress so much as a route runner (his biggest knock in college) it would have been awesome to see his physicality blended with the route running he learned later in Denver.

He was great for those 5 years with Peyton but I just feel like he was capable of so much more if he wasnt constantly working back from or battling injuries. Sort of like TY Hilton in a sense where there is just always something going on injury wise.

2 hours ago, RTTRUTH said:

It’s just funny to think about how low key of a signing Emmanuel Sanders was for Denver.

Sanders meanwhile is one of the most under-rated players of the last twenty years. He carried that receiving corps to the title with Peyton. 

Pretty bipolar back to back posts 

• Like 2

On 7/1/2021 at 11:48 PM, sp6488 said:

Pretty bipolar back to back posts 

What's even funnier is that he campaigned for Emmanuel Sanders who has never performed at a Pro Bowl level anywhere in his career not named Denver.

Edited by AkronsWitness

I still remember when I was playing fantasy football in a long-time keeper league and drafted him with the mr irrelevant pick during his rookie year.  I held onto him for 2 years just waiting for him to blow up and he never did and so I was forced to let him go. Then the Broncos signed Peyton the following offseason and DT went off. 

Wish him the best. The majority of us could only dream of retiring at the age of 33. Grats to him for putting in the work.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 2:29 AM, RTTRUTH said:

😂😂

Perhaps you didn't read some of the stats on page 3. To save you looking for yourself, here is one:

Only 1 player in NFL history has equaled Demaryius’ production in catches (535), receiving yards (7,332), TD catches (51) and most impressively wins (64) over a five-year period (‘12-16):

Jerry Rice (1992-96).

Oh, and Sanders didn't even sign until 2014. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

😂😂

Perhaps you didn't read some of the stats on page 3. To save you looking for yourself, here is one:

Only 1 player in NFL history has equaled Demaryius’ production in catches (535), receiving yards (7,332), TD catches (51) and most impressively wins (64) over a five-year period (‘12-16):

Jerry Rice (1992-96).

Exactly. A couple of overhyped receivers with inflated stats. Rich Gannon MADE Jerry Rice.

SleepyTameLangur-max-1mb.gif

Source: learned about football in 2003

Edited by NudeTayne

9 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

😂😂

Jerry Rice (1992-96).

I’m talking about when they won the Super Bowl, when Thomas was dropping passes and Sanders bailed them out on 3rd down repeatedly. 

I was talking Sanders whole career, not just Denver. And Peyton made a lot of guys look good, so I can skip the stats and trust what I saw with my own eyes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RTTRUTH said:

And Peyton made a lot of guys look good, so I can skip the stats and trust what I saw with my own eyes. 

Tell me who else he has made look THAT good, that is massively overrated also?

Well, nobody has put up those stats in a 5 year period besides Jerry Rice so good luck.

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Tell me who else he has made look THAT good, that is massively overrated also?

Well, nobody has put up those stats in a 5 year period besides Jerry Rice so good luck.

So you’re comparing him to Jerry Rice? 
Which one of us is reaching here?

I’m saying when one guy isn’t talked about (Sanders) but has essentially been working and making clutch plays his whole career he’s under-rated.

And when another guy is being compared to the greatest ever, I will probably call him over-rated. He had 140+ targets thrown at him for six straight seasons, which will equal some statistics. But if he weren’t bailed out by Sanders he’d have zero Superbowls to show for it all. And I’m saying for a “great” all-time player he sure wasn’t Mr. Clutch during the Superbowl run.
He missed one game from 2012-2018 (7 years). That in itself is impressive, but also helps accumulate stats, and doesn’t necessarily equal being a top three guy all time, or even a top two guys in your era.

When he finally missed a game he was 31 years old, at which point three different teams gave up on him in less than a year each. How long did Jerry play again? You really want to compare the two...

I just said he was over-rated. Never said he wasn’t good for a stretch. But great? Not for me.

6 hours ago, RTTRUTH said:

I just said he was over-rated. Never said he wasn’t good for a stretch. But great? Not for me.

You didn't just he was overrated though, did you. What you actually said was this:

On 7/2/2021 at 2:29 AM, RTTRUTH said:

Don't start backtracking without admitting your first statement(s) were ridiculous.

How on earth is it possible to overrate a player with the production in a 5 year span that Thomas put up? Who in here is saying he's a first ballot HOF? Nobody is. 

I am using his statistical output against Jerry Rice to show how GREAT (not good) he was for 5 years. That is a LONG time in the NFL. Clearly, nobody thinks Demaryius Thomas was close to Jerry Rice as a football player, but he was elite for 5 years which means he had a heck of a career.

11 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

he was elite for 5 years 

Pretty debatable. I don’t think DT was ever the player Megatron was, Antonio Brown became, or Julio became. Stats and stats and stats, but I don’t think anyone ever really group those 4 together.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Pretty debatable. I don’t think DT was ever the player Megatron was, Antonio Brown became, or Julio became. Stats and stats and stats, but I don’t think anyone ever really group those 4 together.

Well, I disagree. In that timeframe I absolutely do believe he was in the same bracket as those names. Maybe the bottom of that list, but in the conversation.

59 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Well, I disagree. In that timeframe I absolutely do believe he was in the same bracket as those names. Maybe the bottom of that list, but in the conversation.

Agreed, there was a time for a 4-5 year stretch that Demaryius was a top 3-4 WR in the NFL probably right behind Calvin/Brown and next to Julio

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Hell, Calvin was probably in his own group above AB and Julio, let alone including DT in there (Green probably another one). I don’t think I’d take DT in any category of being a receiver over those three other than maybe top gear speed. 

That’s a steaming hot take right there. 

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 1