Marshon Freaking Lattimore

saintsfan

Marshon will continue to be a hot topic for us throughout the rest of the season so I think he deserves his own thread. PFF just ran an article about why he might be special after tweeting that he is their highest graded rookie EVER after 7 weeks of football. Check out the article here. I don't think any of us could have predicted he would be THIS good so early on. I really love the physicality he plays with and its nice to see a little of that come out in our other players as well. I don't remember the last time I actually enjoyed watching our defense play

I've been very pleased with him. I don't really put much weight into PFF because some of their grading seems bizarre, but he has played very well this season. If he continues this type of play I think he sees a few All-Pro teams in his future.

18 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

. I don't really put much weight into PFF because some of their grading seems bizarre, but he has played very well this season

I think PFF is useful for ballparking roughly how well a player has played. They use the same standard for everyone in a specific position, so at least you know if a handful of guys are roughly the same score they’ve probably played at roughly the same level.

It’s not good for specifically ranking players or attempting to chart value across multiple positions. But for stuff like “One of 4 DBs with a score over 90” or “highest grade we’ve given a rookie” at least you know he’s being graded on the same standard as everyone else, and has compared favorably.

2 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

I think PFF is useful for ballparking roughly how well a player has played. They use the same standard for everyone in a specific position, so at least you know if a handful of guys are roughly the same score they’ve probably played at roughly the same level.

It’s not good for specifically ranking players or attempting to chart value across multiple positions. But for stuff like “One of 4 DBs with a score over 90” or “highest grade we’ve given a rookie” at least you know he’s being graded on the same standard as everyone else, and has compared favorably.

That, and the best/worst player ratings make sense *most* of the time. The part where the ratings start to suck a lil bit is in the middle, it's generally good at rating the best and the worst. 

PFF sucks sometimes, but it ballparks pretty well.  Their number 3 graded player might really be number 6, but they would rarely be number 30.  Although sometimes, their rankings are really headscratching.  The obvious one that comes to mind is when they gave Rodgers a negative grade for throwing 5 TDs, 0 INTs.  I mean, it wasn't the best 5 TD game ever played, but a negative grade?  Come on now.

1 minute ago, Jlowe22 said:

PFF sucks sometimes, but it ballparks pretty well.  Their number 3 graded player might really be number 6, but they would rarely be number 30.  Although sometimes, their rankings are really headscratching.  The obvious one that comes to mind is when they gave Rodgers a negative grade for throwing 5 TDs, 0 INTs.  I mean, it wasn't the best 5 TD game ever played, but a negative grade?  Come on now.

I think there are some positions where its really tough to create an algorithm to grade. However, I feel like CB is one of the easier ones

Just now, saintsfan said:

I think there are some positions where its really tough to create an algorithm to grade. However, I feel like CB is one of the easier ones

I would like to know exactly how they grade some positions.  I can't see what  a player is doing unless the network is filming it, so I have to take someone's word for it, and this is especially true with players in the secondary who are off the screen.  Lattimore is never shown getting toasted and that's all I can really go on.  But if he isn't shown making a play, I have no way of knowing if his receiver got the upper hand and the QB just didn't see it.

Just now, Jlowe22 said:

I would like to know exactly how they grade some positions.  I can't see what  a player is doing unless the network is filming it, so I have to take someone's word for it, and this is especially true with players in the secondary who are off the screen.  Lattimore is never shown getting toasted and that's all I can really go on.  But if he isn't shown making a play, I have no way of knowing if his receiver got the upper hand and the QB just didn't see it.

I think their grades rely strongly on targets, catches allowed, pass break ups, INTs/TDs against, yards per completion allowed, QB rating when throwing against said CB

PFF: Lattimore might be special

Through seven weeks of the season, PFF has never given a higher overall grade to a rookie cornerback than the 94.1 the New Orleans Saintsstandout CB Marshon Lattimore currently has.

We saw 54 intriguing snaps from Lattimore in the preseason, but so far his regular season performance has looked little short of spectacular for a Saints team that was crying out for a legit No. 1 corner.

Lattimore has been thrown at 22 times, allowing 12 receptions for just 114 yards over the first seven weeks of the season (and five games for him). He has yet to surrender a touchdown catch, and has an interception and four pass breakups. Throwing his way is currently yielding a passer rating of just 50.2, just over 10.0 points higher than if quarterbacks simply threw the ball away every snap instead.

more

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-saints-cb-marshon-lattimore-might-be-special?utm_content=buffer68594&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl

On 10/23/2017 at 2:32 PM, SWATcha said:

I do. They were called the Dome Patrol ?

I started watching in 88, so my football watching experience became greatly skewed due to their greatness xD by the time the late 90's rolled around I was just in despair. All I had known was defensive greatness, and then it disappeared from the mid 90's until about 2009.

2 hours ago, navysaintsfan said:

I started watching in 88, so my football watching experience became greatly skewed due to their greatness xD by the time the late 90's rolled around I was just in despair. All I had known was defensive greatness, and then it disappeared from the mid 90's until about 2009.

Ha, almost the same. I started watching football in 87. Grandfather took me to my first football game. Saints vs Niners. (I'm in California, Niner country). Meet and greet day and I got to meet 3 of the 4 Dome Patrol (All but Swilling). Saints won by 2 I think. Was a Saints fan from that day on. I was also spoiled because the Saints made the playoffs that year. Little did I know......lol

Archived