Calais Campbell - the best big name Free Agent in Jacksonville's history

pwny

Calais is an animal. Most of us knew he was a good player, and those of us who tracked and followed pressure rates, knew he was a top 5-8 pass rusher.  But I think few, if any, expected he would do what he’s done through 7 games.

Calais Campbell has arguably been the best defensive lineman in football this year, through 7 games. In addition to the above, Campbell leads all NFL players with 35 QB pressures, so these sacks aren’t coming at a fluky rate.

Campbell is undoubtedly the biggest splash from a major free agent signing in Jacksonville history, even just 7 games into his career. 

7 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I wonder how realistic it'd be for him to win DPOY if he keeps this up. What would the team need to do for him to do it? 

History suggests the team needs to get into the playoffs/at least be close. If the defense stays a top 3 type unit, that’s enough on the team side to do it.

Currently, he’s on pace for 26 sacks. The NFL record is 22.5. If he breaks it, the award is his. Justin Houston got 22 in 2014 and didn’t win the award - it went to JJ Watt who had 20.5 and a bunch of stuffs that Houston didn’t have. Campbell already has more stuffs than Houston had that season, so that’s not going to be a concern, and Campbell currently leads the league in Sacks+Stuffs, so that’s in his favor too.

4 minutes ago, iPwn said:

History suggests the team needs to get into the playoffs/at least be close. If the defense stays a top 3 type unit, that’s enough on the team side to do it.

Currently, he’s on pace for 26 sacks. The NFL record is 22.5. If he breaks it, the award is his. Justin Houston got 22 in 2014 and didn’t win the award - it went to JJ Watt who had 20.5 and a bunch of stuffs that Houston didn’t have. Campbell already has more stuffs than Houston had that season, so that’s not going to be a concern, and Campbell currently leads the league in Sacks+Stuffs, so that’s in his favor too.

Gotta imagine we'll be close to the playoffs if we don't make it. I'm going to assume 9-7/10-6 wins the division, 7-9/8-8 is a lock for this team at worst imo. Depending on QB play, the schedule allows for exactly what I said will win the division.

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

7-9/8-8 is a lock for this team at worst imo

Assuming we don’t have some extreme poor luck with health in the second half, anything less than 9 is an abject failure that rings pretty poorly on this staff. The schedule is pretty easy down the stretch. So they should be in a position that the team can set him up for that sort of award.

31 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Assuming we don’t have some extreme poor luck with health in the second half, anything less than 9 is an abject failure that rings pretty poorly on this staff. The schedule is pretty easy down the stretch. So they should be in a position that the team can set him up for that sort of award.

That's kind of why I say at worst.

OL needs to get healthy and Bortles needs to be more like yesterday than any other week than BAL though too. Sometimes the run game isn't going to be there/defense can always have a hiccup at some point. Can't expect to run all over teams every week with no passing game and expect to win game in and game out. 

17 hours ago, Jags said:

Is this what a good FA and good coaching/ play can do for your team?              

This is what I've been saying was wrong with this team the whole time which was the coaching all along with veteran leadership.. CC is an animal he brings way more to the team than just his on the field play. Because of Campbell he has actually changed the mind set of Fowler those younger guy needed a pros pro to show them how to work, watch film and get better.. and because of Campbell I think the light has come on for Fowler before I was thinking his ceiling was 8 sacks total in a year now I think he may be a double digit guy down the road if not this year. I just wonder how his career would have been if he would have played in a 43 his whole career.. barring injury if he stays healthy if we can get some extra thread i.e. Julius Peppers who has like 6 sacks so far this year that would be even better.

1 minute ago, DuvalsKing said:

This is what I've been saying was wrong with this team the whole time which was the coaching all along with veteran leadership.. CC is an animal he brings way more to the team than just his on the field play. Because of Campbell he has actually changed the mind set of Fowler those younger guy needed a pros pro to show them how to work, watch film and get better.. and because of Campbell I think the light has come on for Fowler before I was thinking his ceiling was 8 sacks total in a year now I think he may be a double digit guy down the road if not this year. I just wonder how his career would have been if he would have played in a 43 his whole career.. barring injury if he stays healthy if we can get some extra thread i.e. Julius Peppers who has like 6 sacks so far this year that would be even better.

You just making it over here DK? Good to see you back on here.

21 hours ago, iPwn said:

Would appear he fits the scheme...

In fairness...this is a very different scheme than we really saw last year.  And also, it would appear Calais transcends the scheme and basically just goes ham wherever you put him.

Archived