League fines WFT $10M due to team culture investigation

RaidersAreOne

On 7/2/2021 at 7:02 AM, MikeT14 said:

Nothing was going to happen to Snyder without owner support. And these owners don't want to open a can of worms in their own departments. 

Exactly this. Every owner is scared to death of the same thing happening to them that they won't back anything drastic being done in this kind of situation.

3 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Exactly this. Every owner is scared to death of the same thing happening to them that they won't back anything drastic being done in this kind of situation.

Well, I think the problem is that Snyder isn't the type who will go quietly. Jerry Richardson probably had pressure put on him behind the scenes to sell and the other owners were probably on board with that. I'm just speculating here. But Snyder would fight tooth and nail to keep the Redskins because it's the only reason anyone cares that he's alive.

On 7/1/2021 at 5:38 PM, 43M said:

Wow.

I have zero love for Snyder, and if there was widespread harassment, it should be punished....but a $10M fine for something that doesn't have an actual documented report?   

Absolutely embarrassing....but thats the current NFL for ya.

You've got it backwards, my man. Beth Wilkinson is one of the best lawyers in the country. The fact that the NFL doesn't want a written report is damning. Lawyers put everything in writing, unless it can hurt you or your client. The NFL is protecting Snyder by not putting the report in writing. It means that what happened is really, really bad, and they don't want the media having access to a long report documenting every terrible thing when the owners aren't willing to force Snyder out. The lack of a written report is a huge win for Snyder. Trust me, he's not upset about it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

You've got it backwards, my man. Beth Wilkinson is one of the best lawyers in the country. The fact that the NFL doesn't want a written report is damning. Lawyers put everything in writing, unless it can hurt you or your client. The NFL is protecting Snyder by not putting the report in writing. It means that what happened is really, really bad, and they don't want the media having access to a long report documenting every terrible thing when the owners aren't willing to force Snyder out. The lack of a written report is a huge win for Snyder. Trust me, he's not upset about it.

Agreed wholeheartedly - the information found was so bad, the other owners said "Never speak of it again..." The lack of a report falls into the "Protect the Shield" rule that Goodell and his team follows. Whatever is out there is going to be buried right alongside those Patriots videotapes and all of that concussion research from the 80s. The league wants this to die and never see the light of day.

This being said - there's some unofficial documentation that Wilkinson has on this whole thing: Notes, recordings, etc. If THAT ever gets out, I think we'll all end up saying that $10mm was absolutely nothing in comparison.

• Like 2

On 7/1/2021 at 6:05 PM, DutchFalcon said:

Snyder is laughing his way too the bank. This is chump change for him. WFT is what, a 1 Billion dollar franchise? So this is like a 1% loss? Yeah I'm sure he's upset about this instead of being forced to sell his golden goose or have anything worse happen.

If anything this feels like the NFL is covering up how bad it is. If he was truely upset with it he'd be lashing out right now about it, but he isn't. Which makes me feel whatever was going on would be bad enough to truely damage his reputation and/or that of the league.

Given the money he’s pulled in for changing the team name to WFT and the money from that merchandise, as well as likely changing the name in another year or two and the merchandise money from that, plus the new stadium he’s going to get publicly funded……….it’s like us losing a pocket full of change.  

On 7/2/2021 at 1:20 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The NFL never ceases to amaze me with how incompetent/corrupt they are with these "punishments". Dan Snyder essentially gets to run the team through his wife, WFT loses literally nothing except some pocket change so they can do some positive PR, and the culture won't change one single bit but the NFL gets to say they did their due diligence while everything gets swept under the rug and forgotten about.

I can't imagine being a victim in this situation and seeing this pathetic outcome.

It’s just like he ran the team through whoever he did before, whether that was Bruce, Vinny the Rat or even Gibbs.  He doesn’t have any inkling about what a good workplace or organizational culture looks like.  And until that does happen, even changing the locker room culture like Rivera is trying to do isn’t going to fix it.  

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 11:37 AM, pwny said:

Tax deductions are a reduction of your adjusted gross income, not of your taxes due. He spends $10M towards the charitable givings and his taxes due are decreased by a portion of that, ~the top marginal tax rate on his earnings. There’s other funky stuff with it that are too complex to explain over the internet, but the general idea is you never get back nearly as much as you donate.

The bigger issue is that it’s a charitable giving that he chooses the charity. He very likely gives 10M a year through community outreach with the WFT brand name anyway. So literally all they have to do is cut this check and then not cut the normal check, and he and the organization literally lose exactly $0. This isn’t a punishment, it’s a publicity stunt that the NFL uses to give the illusion of a punishment. 

Add to that there have been rumors around here that he’s had a shell charity going on for quite some time.  

At the least, it does seem like the NFL is making him foot the bill for Wilkinson and her firm for the investigation.  

Michael Holley gives his opinion:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/07/04/fmia-guest-michael-holley-on-andrew-berry-and-the-forward-looking-browns-5-draft-hits-misses/

1. I think the NFL whiffed on every aspect of its Washington Football Team announcement last week. Its punishment, transparency, statement quoting Daniel Snyder, and explanation/rationalization during a conference call were all misguided, if not all wrong. While the $10 million fine is the largest given in league history, it rings like pennies in a pail for a billionaire like Snyder. Maybe other owners can appreciate the symbolism of the fine, but the currency of most fans is twofold: draft picks and tangible changes. It’s stunning that WFT lost no draft picks. And as Sally Jenkins observed in her Washington Post column, the NFL’s statement didn’t confront any specific allegation against Snyder himself. “It was the building that did it,’’ Jenkins wrote. “The walls. It was the staircase that peered up the dresses of young female employees.”

• Clearly, the Post’s reporting on the organization has been devastatingly accurate. It has exposed the worst known office culture in the NFL, if not all of North American sports. The Post’s reporting last year led to a series of moves from Snyder, including the hiring of the NFL’s first Black team president (Jason Wright) and, at the time, the highest-ranking woman in the organization (Julie Donaldson). Now the franchise is led by Snyder’s wife, Tanya, recently named co-CEO. Still, how is there no suspension for Snyder? Part of his punishment is working on a new stadium and “other matters.” What does that mean?

• To recap, every aspect of WFT’s work culture was found to either lean toward hostility, invasiveness, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, or all of the above. The franchise has been sued by some former employees; it has reached a $1.6 million settlement with another. Yet, the leader of the franchise is held accountable by a fine, ceding day to day control of the team to his wife, and focusing on other matters.

• It’s impossible for the league to credibly stand on the claim that owners are held to a higher standard than players. Snyder’s organization has been outrageous for years. His hiring of Wright and Donaldson doesn’t override history. The penalty should have reflected that.

• For those who are wondering, Roger Goodell does have the power to initiate taking the team away from Snyder. But it would require overwhelming support from fellow owners, and most of them are against that route. The light penalty is likely a result of Snyder agreeing to do everything the league has wanted in the last year: give up the nickname (albeit grudgingly); accept a record fine; institute every recommended policy; grin and bear it.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 5:55 PM, Xenos said:

Michael Holley gives his opinion:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/07/04/fmia-guest-michael-holley-on-andrew-berry-and-the-forward-looking-browns-5-draft-hits-misses/

• For those who are wondering, Roger Goodell does have the power to initiate taking the team away from Snyder. But it would require overwhelming support from fellow owners, and most of them are against that route. The light penalty is likely a result of Snyder agreeing to do everything the league has wanted in the last year: give up the nickname (albeit grudgingly); accept a record fine; institute every recommended policy; grin and bear it.

That last part is interesting and I had never thought of it. The name change was tied to the punishment. Hm.

On 7/1/2021 at 5:56 PM, DontTazeMeBro said:

Why do teams even still have cheerleaders?    Seems like nothing but problems and minimal additional value.

Are you serious???  Nothing but problems?  Why is it so tough to work without problems with cheerleaders around?  This really shouldn't be all that difficult.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Are you serious???  Nothing but problems?  Why is it so tough to work without problems with cheerleaders around?  This really shouldn't be all that difficult.

Fully agree with @DontTazeMeBroand will add that we could finally solve the concussion issue, along with pesky stuff like ruptured Achilles's (and save money on medical insurance for players) by moving the game off the field and into an office where instead players discuss football (in a civilized manner, of course).

We at home get to decide (to ourselves) who wins and both teams get a trophy after each game. Important megacorporation sponsor-approved social issues of today are interwoven into the discussion and we all get benefited by the teachings so we know what is best think. 

NFL players of all levels of athleticism, ability and disability are honored. Peace is achieved. All rivalries become koombayfriendships. Eagles fans wear Cowboys jerseys.

tl;dr progress

CqGxy1zwVRVw7SYIZGc3xqHxFNdQpwjKslaYg2Vb

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Fully agree with @DontTazeMeBroand will add that we could finally solve the concussion issue, along with pesky stuff like ruptured Achilles's (and save money on medical insurance for players) by moving the game off the field and into an office where instead players discuss football (in a civilized manner, of course).

We at home get to decide (to ourselves) who wins and both teams get a trophy after each game. Important megacorporation sponsor-approved social issues of today are interwoven into the discussion and we all get benefited by the teachings so we know what is best think. 

NFL players of all levels of athleticism, ability and disability are honored. Peace is achieved. All rivalries become koombayfriendships. Eagles fans wear Cowboys jerseys.

tl;dr progress

CqGxy1zwVRVw7SYIZGc3xqHxFNdQpwjKslaYg2Vb

Addendum: all team names are changed to "Football Team" just to get out in front of future thought-harm. The world is awareing up every day and teams like the Cowboys and Chiefs--clearly problematic--will eventually lead to other name changes needed.

Teams like the Lions, Panthers and Bengals evoke imagery of violence. Eagles and Patriots are too nationalistic--disgusting. Giants are sizeist. Saints ostracize our secular friends. 49ers encourage greed and dredge up old hurts. Raiders and Buccaneers...yeah, bad message to glorify.  Texans...what about the other 49 states? RUDE.

At some point it makes the most sense to just change them all to "Football Team". It's the most safe and will be easiest for sponsors to work with. We need to punish everyone because Dan Snyder is a creep.  Bye bye cheerleaders.

I also have some ideas about how to make strip clubs better as well. Hint: text-based user experience.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I have no idea why it’s tough. I imagine for most it’s probably not. But every story I’ve ever heard with the words ‘NFL Cheerleader’ has been a bad story. The only people who benefit from the NFL having cheerleaders are the cheerleaders. They get to advance their modeling careers and have access to super fit millionaires and get to say they’re an NFL cheerleader. Noone buys tickets to see them. Maybe some lonely dudes will buy calendars. Seems like an overall net negative.