Unwarranted scapegoats in NFL history.

TecmoSuperJoe

On 7/5/2021 at 1:53 PM, blkwdw13 said:

I’d put Cody Pakrey in this also. Sure he “missed” the kick that would have won it. But the Bears up until that point weren’t able to do anything offensively, they could have locked up the game way before that against a depleted Eagles team but couldn’t do anything. It was just another complete failure in Nagys and the Bears line of them. 

I think it was mainly unfair because game shouldn’t have come down to that and 1) it wasn’t a short field goal and 2) ball was tipped and still came within literal inches of making it.

4 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Unwarranted scapegoat? 

Cam Newton: he carried the team to the super bowl and his OL and Receivers failed him on the biggest stage. 

Give the Broncos defense a ton of credit. Also there was a certain play that was inexcusable and he let his teammates down on the biggest stage.

Edited by Blackstar12
  • Like 2

Romo for the 2006 playoff loss to the Seahawks. Parcells played that game entirely too conservative given Seattle was fielding guys in their secondary who they had just signed off the street. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 43M said:

Bored Season 3 GIF by The Office

let these people live their lives!

MVS: forgiven

Bostic: Forgiven

Favres 6 picks against the rams: forgiven

Peppers telling Burnett to get down: forgiven

Kevin King: forgiven

packers run D against Kaep: forgiven

but at least we had Nick Collins. damn, that was sweet

Anyone that mentions Brandon Bostick as an "unwarranted scapegoat" is automatically discredited. Dude literally vacated his job on the onsides team to try and "save the day." Jordy was literally right there ready to field that on-side kick clean. Nothing "unwarranted" about the Bostick bull****.

Edited by beekay414

Oh I forgot about Tomlinson in the 2007 playoffs, and Jay Cutler in the 2010 playoffs. I believe in both instances they were injured, and fans got on them for not being tough enough. Chargers lost to the Patriots in the AFC title game in which I don't think Tomlinson played. And in 2010 the Bears lost to the Packers in the NFC title game. Can't remember how Cutler got hurt, but yeah fans were giving him crap. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Oh I forgot about Tomlinson in the 2007 playoffs, and Jay Cutler in the 2010 playoffs. I believe in both instances they were injured, and fans got on them for not being tough enough. Chargers lost to the Patriots in the AFC title game in which I don't think Tomlinson played. And in 2010 the Bears lost to the Packers in the NFC title game. Can't remember how Cutler got hurt, but yeah fans were giving him crap. 

Wasn't just fans. Cutler was getting so much stick during the rest of that game from other NFL players at the time. Think Rodgers amongst others shouted them down after. 

Not sure if the Bears had said what the injury was though so people were watching Cutler on a stationary bike speculating what the problem was.

Leon Lett

SB27 - Great Don Beebe you saved the game from being 59-17, you still lost by 35 points who cares about that last TD.

1993 Thanksgiving - again another incident that didn't matter as the Cowboys won every game after this to go back to back and the Dolphins lost every game after this and missed the playoffs.

I get so tired of these two insignificant plays getting mentioned as much as a they do without people mentioning the consequences which were none. Neither of these probably don't apply but just in case they do I wanted to mention them.

Edited by bootsy

9 hours ago, bootsy said:

Leon Lett

SB27 - Great Don Beebe you saved the game from being 59-17, you still lost by 35 points who cares about that last TD.

1993 Thanksgiving - again another incident that didn't matter as the Cowboys won every game after this to go back to back and the Dolphins lost every game after this and missed the playoffs.

I get so tired of these two insignificant plays getting mentioned as much as a they do without people mentioning the consequences which were none. Neither of these probably don't apply but just in case they do I wanted to mention them.

I mean, it would have looked worse for Don Beebe if he just let Leon waltz into the endzone. And I don't think Beebe himself is bragging about making that play. Also, is Leon really made a scapegoat for that play? I think people just spotlighted him being a doofus, not having cost the Cowboys a game let alone a ring.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Also, is Leon really made a scapegoat for that play? I think people just spotlighted him being a doofus, not having cost the Cowboys a game let alone a ring.

Yeah, I don't think anyone has any malice for Lett - they just think he's a dummy for making those two gaffes.

No harm, no foul.

• Like 1