Unwarranted scapegoats in NFL history.

TecmoSuperJoe

On 7/11/2021 at 9:32 AM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Oh I forgot about Tomlinson in the 2007 playoffs, and Jay Cutler in the 2010 playoffs. I believe in both instances they were injured, and fans got on them for not being tough enough. Chargers lost to the Patriots in the AFC title game in which I don't think Tomlinson played.

Philip Rivers was playing on a torn ACL in that game. Tomlinson stood there on the sidelines with his helmet and visor on. He deserved more criticism than he got.

4 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Philip Rivers was playing on a torn ACL in that game. Tomlinson stood there on the sidelines with his helmet and visor on. He deserved more criticism than he got.

Tomlinson spotlighting that criticism in his own words at the 30 minute mark. Sounds like his reasoning made sense. Especially the position he played. Rivers had a better chance playing on one leg than Tomlinson did. Also, Michael Turner is the backup, and is completely healthy. Tomlinson made the right decision for the squad in my mind after two drives. Not sure what the howling jackals wanted. Play on one leg as a runner, because Rivers is playing on one leg as a QB? (a game in which he played terribly)

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I mean, it would have looked worse for Don Beebe if he just let Leon waltz into the endzone. And I don't think Beebe himself is bragging about making that play. Also, is Leon really made a scapegoat for that play? I think people just spotlighted him being a doofus, not having cost the Cowboys a game let alone a ring.

Yeah that's why I said he probably doesn't apply to the label but the media can't wait to bring up that play every Thanksgiving and Super Bowl. I just wish they would put in context on the bigger picture of those plays. 

On 7/8/2021 at 3:11 PM, D82 said:

Romo for the 2006 playoff loss to the Seahawks. Parcells played that game entirely too conservative given Seattle was fielding guys in their secondary who they had just signed off the street. 

Martin Gramatica literally lays down in front of the pursuit angle rather than just standing there and Romo walks into the endzone.