Your top 5 pass rushers as of 2021

46 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Leonard Floyd had his best year as a pro last season 

This pretty much tells you the value of the chart right here.  Casual fans will think Leonard Floyd played much better than he actually did last year when looking at traditional stats.  Playing next to the freak named Donald can't be accounted for in traditional stats.  You have to look beyond that, which this chart does.  It's an extreme example, but it honestly makes me even more confident that this chart is very useful when comparing EDGE pass rush performance.

And it's a known fact TJ Watt isn't double-teamed as much as other stud EDGE rushers, mostly because he lines up so far outside the OT.  That doesn't mean he's not  a stud.  He has the highest pass rate among all EDGE rushers for a reason.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

This pretty much tells you the value of the chart right here.  Casual fans will think Leonard Floyd played much better than he actually did last year when looking at traditional stats.  Playing next to the freak named Donald can't be accounted for in traditional stats.  You have to look beyond that, which this chart does.  It's an extreme example, but it honestly makes me even more confident that this chart is very useful when comparing EDGE pass rush performance.

And it's a known fact TJ Watt isn't double-teamed as much as other stud EDGE rushers, mostly because he lines up so far outside the OT.  That doesn't mean he's not  a stud.  He has the highest pass rate among all EDGE rushers for a reason.  

Floyd played freaking great last year, most combined tackles ever in a season, most sacks he has ever had, more TFLs, most QB hits and that is not to even mention his versatility in coverage and range as a OLB.  But no he played like crap last year?  BS all over that one, the dude played great, sure helps with Donald being on the team just like helps Chase Young having Sweat opposite of him and Allen/Payne on the inside.  What about JPP he have a bad year as well?  No thank you on that logic.

And care to explain that ranking of Odenigbo with other much superior pass rushers in that same category?  That there is a flat deception, had such a great season the Giants signed him for one year at $2.5 mil with only $1 mil guaranteed, oh wow.  How how you explain his poor stat production and then on this having a ranking around other guys who had double digit sacks or close to it?  Fact is Odenigbo maybe could play DE in that 3/4 for the Giants but not sure they take out Lawrence or Williams so no on that but most likely is on the bench behind the rookie Azeez at OLB and if not him Elerson Smith and if not him Ryan Anderson.

You like the metric because you think it proves a point you are trying make.  

O boy... I'm bowing out of this argument.  The importance of traditional stats are embedded too deep in some people's minds to ever convince them otherwise.

I guess PFF is wrong about Floyd as well, given they gave him a 69.0 grade last year, which is on par with his 69.6 grade from 2019.  

But traditional stats are king.

Edited by HTTRDynasty

25 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

O boy... I'm bowing out of this argument.  The importance of traditional stats are embedded too deep in some people's minds to ever convince them otherwise.

I guess PFF is wrong about Floyd as well, given they gave him a 69.0 grade last year, which is on par with his 69.6 grade from 2019.  

But traditional stats are king.

So a guys career is just based on a PFF grade?  Sorry but that is not the be all and end all of players.  Leonard Floyd did not have a great year because his PFF grade was slightly lower?  Ok.  Sorry I watch the games, I like Floyd coming out of Georgia, thought he did disappoint a bit on the Bears and was happy for him to succeed so much on the Rams.  Traditional stats, or watch the games and base value off of that, sure stats help show production but again how does that explain Odenigbo's rating in such a graph?  Yeah it is not everything, and if you call literal production on the field just traditional stats well then I guess I am traditional.  

Steelers had the best pass rush win rate as a team at 54% and got a NFL high 56 sacks, Bills 2nd in pass rush win rate at 52% but were 15th or so in the league with only 38 sacks.  So yeah stats are deceptive if one is only looking at percentages.  PS Washington was 3rd in the NFL with 50% pass rush win rate, 6th in the NFL with 47 sacks which was solid and shows the talent around Chase Young.  Oh and Falcons were an impressive 4th in the NFL in pass rush win rate at 49% but clearly that is deceptive because they were 23rd in the NFL in total sacks at only 29.  

Fun to look at stats I guess but again, no way Leonard Floyd had a bad season for the Rams last year just based on some stupid graph saying so or PFF grade saying his performance was equal to when he was on the Bears, it was not.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Floyd was pretty insane last year though. He’s so good specially at covering. 

11 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

This is a pass rush thread.  No one said Floyd sucks as a player, despite the strawman in this thread.

"Casual fans will think Leonard Floyd played much better than he actually did last year when looking at traditional stats"

That is from you, if that is not a dig on Leonard Floyd then what is?  He played great last year but instead you think his stats look better than his on the field play?  How about you watch him play a big more.

33 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Floyd was pretty insane last year though. He’s so good specially at covering. 

Agree, his coverage as a 3/4 OLB and overall range is very rare, especially for a dude that got double digit sacks, 11 TFLs and 19 QB hits.  But he is in that lower left hand corner of that chart so he sucks?  And if I am reading that graph right yes that lower left hand corner is the "bad" corner, but has multiple dudes who are just fine as a pass rusher, PS Floyd was 9th in the NFL in sacks so is absolutely relevant in this conversation even though he is much more well rounded than a lot of 3/4 OLBs.  Bud Dupree is also in that corner and could have a breakout year for the Titans next year in desperate need of another pass rusher.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

"Casual fans will think Leonard Floyd played much better than he actually did last year when looking at traditional stats"

That is from you, if that is not a dig on Leonard Floyd then what is?  He played great last year but instead you think his stats look better than his on the field play?  How about you watch him play a big more.

You're talking to someone who lived in LA last year and watched plenty of Rams games.

Do you know what clean-up sacks and clean-up pressures are?  Clearly not.  5 out of Floyd's 10.5 sacks came against the Seahawks... they were all clean-up sacks.

Crap on advanced metrics all you want, but there's a reason they do a better job of predicting future success than traditional stats do.

Edited by HTTRDynasty

People want to conveniently forget that Dante Fowler put up 11.5 sacks in 2019 with the Rams, then had just 3 sacks this past year without playing with Donald, who is consistently taking on double and triple-teams.  But Fowler's traditional stats didn't lie in 2019.  Nope, not at all. 😂

These guys all need to be giving Donald half their paychecks, if not more.

Er0ojJBXcAU6h09?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

People want to conveniently forget that Dante Fowler put up 11.5 sacks in 2019 with the Rams, then had just 3 sacks this past year without playing with Donald, who is consistently taking on double and triple-teams.  But Fowler's traditional stats didn't lie in 2019.  Nope, not at all. 😂

These guys all need to be giving Donald half their paychecks, if not more.

Er0ojJBXcAU6h09?format=jpg&name=large

You do know you said this in this thread when I brought up who was around Chase Young.

A double team is a double team.  I don't care how many good players you have around you, if you still have to beat two blockers more often than most other EDGE players in the league, that puts you at a disadvantage when it comes to accumulating stats.  I also think you're conveniently forgetting the fact that having other good/great players alongside you on the DL can easily take away from your stats as well (e.g., if they get to the QB first).

But yeah sure being Donald's teammate helps production, but does not take away from it, if it does then take away something from the likes of Allen, Sweat, Young and Payne.

Now I am not going to defend Fowler, I thought he was crazy overdrafted when he came out, good player but not that damn good to be 3rd overall.  Still did have some early success and a 8 sack year early in his career, but yeah is not that great granted.

Few other stats for stats, not sure these are taken into account of that graph you keep showing, but this helps shows an ability to get home on the QB or impact the play.  TJ Watt obviously did wonderful with that and lead the NFL in sacks as well.  Was not as good later in the year after Dupree got hurt and Bush did not play the entire season which did matter a lot because he is a hell of a blitzing ILB.  But helps having Tuitt destroy guys and Heyward.  

TFL leaders through December 31 2020

23, T.J. Watt, Steelers
17, Roquan Smith, Chicago
15, Devin White, Tampa Bay
15, Joey Bosa, LA Chargers

QB Hit leaders

41, T.J. Watt, Steelers
31 Carl Lawson, Cincinnati
28, Chris Jones, Kansas City
27, Joey Bosa LA Chargers
26, Aaron Donald, LA Rams

And for those that say Joey Bosa is not good, yeah he makes a damn good impact from his DE spot.  And Chris Jones in terms of impact is right there behind Donald as the most impactful pass rushing DT in the NFL.  

Also found this interesting, league leaders in TFLs and QB hits since they started tracking "TFLs started getting tracked in 1999, hits in 2006"

TFLs :

1999 - Jessie Armstead (21)

2000 - Hugh Dogulas (21)

2001 - Michael Strahan (24)

2002 - Hugh Douglas, Dwight Freeney (20)

2003 - Michael Strahan (23)

2004 - Cornelius Griffin (21)

2005 - Michael Strahan (18)

2006 - Julius Peppers (18)

2007 - Jared Allen, Shawne Merriman (18)

2008 - Demarcus Ware (27)

2009 - Lamarr Woodley (20)

2010 - Demarcus Ware, Cameron Wake (21)

2011 - Demarcus Ware (26)

2012 - JJ Watt (39)

2013 - Robert Quinn (23)

2014 - JJ Watt (29)

2015 - JJ Watt (29)

2016 - Ryan Kerrigan (18)

2017 - Chandler Jones (28)

2018 - Aaron Donald (25)

2019 - Aaron Donald (20)

2020 - TJ Watt (23)

QB Hits :

2006 - Aaron Kampman (30)

2007 - Kyle Vanden Bosch (31)

2008 - Demarcus Ware, John Abraham (30)

2009 - Trent Cole (28)

2010 - Jason Babin, Tamba Hali (27)

2011 - Jared Allen (32)

2012 - JJ Watt (43)

2013 - JJ Watt (46)

2014 - JJ Watt (51)

2015 - JJ Watt (50)

2016 - Aaron Donald (31)

2017 - Chandler Jones (33)

2018 - Aaron Donald (41)

2019 - Shaq Barrett, Zadarius Smith (37)

2020 - TJ Watt (41)

Those JJ Watt numbres from 2012-2015 are absolutely nuts, easy to forget but that dude was freaking insanely good but there you got his bro right there with him last year.  Would have lot to seen these numbers from longer pack, John Randle specifically with QB hits he seemed to always have his hands in there.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

You do know you said this in this thread when I brought up who was around Chase Young.

But yeah sure being Donald's teammate helps production, but does not take away from it, if it does then take away something from the likes of Allen, Sweat, Young and Payne.

Now I am not going to defend Fowler, I thought he was crazy overdrafted when he came out, good player but not that damn good to be 3rd overall.  Still did have some early success and a 8 sack year early in his career, but yeah is not that great granted.

Few other stats for stats, not sure these are taken into account of that graph you keep showing, but this helps shows an ability to get home on the QB or impact the play.  TJ Watt obviously did wonderful with that and lead the NFL in sacks as well.  Was not as good later in the year after Dupree got hurt and Bush did not play the entire season which did matter a lot because he is a hell of a blitzing ILB.  But helps having Tuitt destroy guys and Heyward.  

TFL leaders through December 31 2020

23, T.J. Watt, Steelers
17, Roquan Smith, Chicago
15, Devin White, Tampa Bay
15, Joey Bosa, LA Chargers

QB Hit leaders

41, T.J. Watt, Steelers
31 Carl Lawson, Cincinnati
28, Chris Jones, Kansas City
27, Joey Bosa LA Chargers
26, Aaron Donald, LA Rams

And for those that say Joey Bosa is not good, yeah he makes a damn good impact from his DE spot.  And Chris Jones in terms of impact is right there behind Donald as the most impactful pass rushing DT in the NFL.  

Also found this interesting, league leaders in TFLs and QB hits since they started tracking "TFLs started getting tracked in 1999, hits in 2006"

TFLs :

1999 - Jessie Armstead (21)

2000 - Hugh Dogulas (21)

2001 - Michael Strahan (24)

2002 - Hugh Douglas, Dwight Freeney (20)

2003 - Michael Strahan (23)

2004 - Cornelius Griffin (21)

2005 - Michael Strahan (18)

2006 - Julius Peppers (18)

2007 - Jared Allen, Shawne Merriman (18)

2008 - Demarcus Ware (27)

2009 - Lamarr Woodley (20)

2010 - Demarcus Ware, Cameron Wake (21)

2011 - Demarcus Ware (26)

2012 - JJ Watt (39)

2013 - Robert Quinn (23)

2014 - JJ Watt (29)

2015 - JJ Watt (29)

2016 - Ryan Kerrigan (18)

2017 - Chandler Jones (28)

2018 - Aaron Donald (25)

2019 - Aaron Donald (20)

2020 - TJ Watt (23)

QB Hits :

2006 - Aaron Kampman (30)

2007 - Kyle Vanden Bosch (31)

2008 - Demarcus Ware, John Abraham (30)

2009 - Trent Cole (28)

2010 - Jason Babin, Tamba Hali (27)

2011 - Jared Allen (32)

2012 - JJ Watt (43)

2013 - JJ Watt (46)

2014 - JJ Watt (51)

2015 - JJ Watt (50)

2016 - Aaron Donald (31)

2017 - Chandler Jones (33)

2018 - Aaron Donald (41)

2019 - Shaq Barrett, Zadarius Smith (37)

2020 - TJ Watt (41)

Those JJ Watt numbres from 2012-2015 are absolutely nuts, easy to forget but that dude was freaking insanely good but there you got his bro right there with him last year.  Would have lot to seen these numbers from longer pack, John Randle specifically with QB hits he seemed to always have his hands in there.

Gonna try this one more time:

Young is double-teamed at a significantly higher rate than Floyd. You’re obsessed with who Young has around him, but not what it means to have other good players around you. Having good players around you only matters when it allows you to receive less attention than you otherwise would because of it. If you’re still being double-teamed at a top 10 rate, it’s foolish to be knocked for that. If Young was doubled at the same rate as Floyd, fair game and good argument. 

Floyd, on the other hand, receives far less attention playing with Donald (and Mack in prior years) than he otherwise would. If Floyd was still double-teamed at a high rate last year even when playing with Donald, I wouldn’t bring up how much he benefited from it. But that wasn’t the case. If you can’t understand that, I don’t know how I can make it more clear for you. 

And those traditional stats you keep posting do not account for clean-up sacks and pressures, like I’ve said. 

15 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Gonna try this one more time:

Young is double-teamed at a significantly higher rate than Floyd. You’re obsessed with who Young has around him, but not what it means to have other good players around you. Having good players around you only matters when it allows you to receive less attention than you otherwise would because of it. If you’re still being double-teamed at a top 10 rate, it’s foolish to be knocked for that. If Young was doubled at the same rate as Floyd, fair game and good argument. 

Floyd, on the other hand, receives far less attention playing with Donald (and Mack in prior years) than he otherwise would. If Floyd was still double-teamed at a high rate last year even when playing with Donald, I wouldn’t bring up how much he benefited from it. But that wasn’t the case. If you can’t understand that, I don’t know how I can make it more clear for you. 

And those traditional stats you keep posting do not account for clean-up sacks and pressures, like I’ve said. 

All you seem to focus on is how often one gets "double teamed".  When in reality what is considered a double team by those who made this graph?  Does the guard have to stay on him for the entire play?  Does it count as a double if the guard only helps for a few seconds then goes back inside to block another rusher?  Is that a double team?  Does it count if the TE is blocking at the end of the line of scrimmage on the DE, is that a double team?  Does it count when the back chips on the edge rusher, is that a double team, or if the TE ships only for a little?  Then you have the other axis that is win rate, what is a win?  Beating your man by one foot, beating your man off the snap and out of his stance?  Beating your man yet the play is on the opposite side, is that a win?  Beating your man and taking the wrong angle and causing a big play, is that a win?  Then you have the issue of snap count and who exactly is included in it and not because of that which should be taken into consideration as well, aka Odenigbo and his crap *** production last year.  

There are so many damn variables for that freaking graph, yeah just get a TFL, get a QB hit or get a sack, PD whatever and how many do you get.  But go ahead read the variables yet do not always know exactly how they count what is getting a win in pass pro or what exactly constitutes being "double teamed".

And I sure freaking hope you do not double 3/4 OLBs as much as you do 4/3 DEs, that is the entire basis of the defense, having sometimes five guys on the line of scrimmage makes it clearly pretty damn hard to double team an edge with only 5 OL, much less adding the fact the ILB is blitzing more often than not and the OLB is dropping, aka Leonard Floyd and doing a FABULOUS job at it!  Hell Devin White and Jerome Baker are two damn good pass rushers from their ILB spots and are very hard to handle when they are brought along with many other ILBs in a 3/4.

Did this graph last year predict Trey Hendrickson would have a 13.5 sack season?  I doubt it, so to think this is some projection machine for the future, not so sure about that.  Carlos Dunlap is one of the more productive long term sack men in the NFL with currently 87.5 sacks but he does not "win" and get doubled at a high rate as some others so he is no good?  Cam Jordan and any guy who can consistently get after the QB over a long period of time has to be respected, a lot of guys have had splash years of production but it is a lot harder to consistently do it year in and year out and Cam Jordan is one of those guys.

Some under the radar guys Rashan Gary is one who could have a up tick in sacks, really came on last year and was a beast when he was in there.  Very hard to handle at his size with his athletic ability, with some improved pass rush moves he could be outstanding this year and might soon be taking the spot of Preston Smith.  Then there is Denis Gardeck who surprised big time last year, showed great motor and ability to get around the edge.  With Jones coming back he could be something especially with that improved DL they have also.  

Also I think some of these guys could hit, with the Patriots Josh Uche, Ronnie Perkins or Chase Winovich, all are promising pass rushers Chase already has produced but Uche and Perkins have big time ability to get under tackles and get around the edge, and opposite Judon who is an outstanding edge rusher and a great guy to learn from.  Also have Van Noy who is productive but not an elite rusher, still makes a great collective group potentially.   Then the Chiefs with Danna, Ward or Charlton one of those guys should produce big time off the edge with the monster DTs they have in Jones/Reed then behind them Saunders/Nnadi/Wharton but maybe Wharton will play DE.  Still would not be surprised to see some of those guys put up bigger sack numbers this year.

Danielle Hunter, Chandler Jones and Von Miller all coming off missing all of 2020 so will see if they can all get back into the fold.  Already talked about Hunter but Jones is pretty dang legit as well.  Then there is Brian Burns obviously who could be hell to deal with having Reddick opposite him and those two huge dudes Derrick Brown and Roy on the inside, then depth on the edges with Gross-Matos and Hayes, even got Nixon who could be a nice change of pace pass rushing DT inside as a backup.  So Burns could have an outstanding year and so could Reddick and even with Reddick he really broke out last year obviously as a rusher.

8 hours ago, Ozzy said:

All you seem to focus on is how often one gets "double teamed".  When in reality what is considered a double team by those who made this graph?  Does the guard have to stay on him for the entire play?  Does it count as a double if the guard only helps for a few seconds then goes back inside to block another rusher?  Is that a double team?  Does it count if the TE is blocking at the end of the line of scrimmage on the DE, is that a double team?  Does it count when the back chips on the edge rusher, is that a double team, or if the TE ships only for a little?  Then you have the other axis that is win rate, what is a win?  Beating your man by one foot, beating your man off the snap and out of his stance?  Beating your man yet the play is on the opposite side, is that a win?  Beating your man and taking the wrong angle and causing a big play, is that a win?  Then you have the issue of snap count and who exactly is included in it and not because of that which should be taken into consideration as well, aka Odenigbo and his crap *** production last year.  

There are so many damn variables for that freaking graph, yeah just get a TFL, get a QB hit or get a sack, PD whatever and how many do you get.  But go ahead read the variables yet do not always know exactly how they count what is getting a win in pass pro or what exactly constitutes being "double teamed".

And I sure freaking hope you do not double 3/4 OLBs as much as you do 4/3 DEs, that is the entire basis of the defense, having sometimes five guys on the line of scrimmage makes it clearly pretty damn hard to double team an edge with only 5 OL, much less adding the fact the ILB is blitzing more often than not and the OLB is dropping, aka Leonard Floyd and doing a FABULOUS job at it!  Hell Devin White and Jerome Baker are two damn good pass rushers from their ILB spots and are very hard to handle when they are brought along with many other ILBs in a 3/4.

Did this graph last year predict Trey Hendrickson would have a 13.5 sack season?  I doubt it, so to think this is some projection machine for the future, not so sure about that.  Carlos Dunlap is one of the more productive long term sack men in the NFL with currently 87.5 sacks but he does not "win" and get doubled at a high rate as some others so he is no good?  Cam Jordan and any guy who can consistently get after the QB over a long period of time has to be respected, a lot of guys have had splash years of production but it is a lot harder to consistently do it year in and year out and Cam Jordan is one of those guys.

Some under the radar guys Rashan Gary is one who could have a up tick in sacks, really came on last year and was a beast when he was in there.  Very hard to handle at his size with his athletic ability, with some improved pass rush moves he could be outstanding this year and might soon be taking the spot of Preston Smith.  Then there is Denis Gardeck who surprised big time last year, showed great motor and ability to get around the edge.  With Jones coming back he could be something especially with that improved DL they have also.  

Also I think some of these guys could hit, with the Patriots Josh Uche, Ronnie Perkins or Chase Winovich, all are promising pass rushers Chase already has produced but Uche and Perkins have big time ability to get under tackles and get around the edge, and opposite Judon who is an outstanding edge rusher and a great guy to learn from.  Also have Van Noy who is productive but not an elite rusher, still makes a great collective group potentially.   Then the Chiefs with Danna, Ward or Charlton one of those guys should produce big time off the edge with the monster DTs they have in Jones/Reed then behind them Saunders/Nnadi/Wharton but maybe Wharton will play DE.  Still would not be surprised to see some of those guys put up bigger sack numbers this year.

Danielle Hunter, Chandler Jones and Von Miller all coming off missing all of 2020 so will see if they can all get back into the fold.  Already talked about Hunter but Jones is pretty dang legit as well.  Then there is Brian Burns obviously who could be hell to deal with having Reddick opposite him and those two huge dudes Derrick Brown and Roy on the inside, then depth on the edges with Gross-Matos and Hayes, even got Nixon who could be a nice change of pace pass rushing DT inside as a backup.  So Burns could have an outstanding year and so could Reddick and even with Reddick he really broke out last year obviously as a rusher.

This is based on the chips in each player's helmet.  It's as exact as you could possibly get.  Far more exact than thinking someone is good at rushing the passer when they have double-digit sacks, but half their sacks come from cleaning up someone else's pressure.

Ranking the NFL's top 10 edge rushers for 2021: Execs, coaches, players make their picks

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/31733216/ranking-nfl-top-10-edge-rushers-2021-execs-coaches-players-make-their-picks

1. Myles Garrett, Cleveland Browns

Highest ranking: 1 | Lowest ranking: 8

Garrett and T.J. Watt traded first-place votes throughout the process, with Garrett winning out based on his magnificent traits.

Asking general managers which pass-rusher around which they'd build a defense, most said Garrett. Evaluators weren't as sold before last season, when they felt Garrett underachieved and would get washed out by a good blocking scheme or seasoned left tackle (and he was also coming off a six-game suspension.) No longer.

"Absolutely made a massive jump last year," a veteran AFC defensive coach said. "From a physical standpoint setting the edge and as a pass-rusher he's just gifted. He put it all together. He was so difficult to deal with, snap in and snap out."

Garrett's pass-rush win rate of 26.3% last season ranked third among edge rushers despite facing 104 double teams. He won on 15 of those (14.4%), which ranked 12 in the league.

Garrett led all edge rushers in sacks created (16.5), a stat that takes into account plays in which his pressure resulted in a sack for a teammate. He caused 29 incompletions (fourth in the league). Garrett has recorded at least 18 quarterback hits in all four of his NFL seasons.

"Built out of a lab," an AFC scout said. "Zero weaknesses. Power, bend, speed."

3045282.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

2. T.J. Watt, Pittsburgh Steelers

Highest ranking: 1 | Lowest ranking: 8

There's not a category that Watt doesn't dominate.

Not only did he lead the league in pass-rush win rate (29.1%), but his four pass-rush interceptions created tied for first, and his 40 caused incompletions led the NFL by a wide margin. Aaron Donald was the next closest at 30. His 15.5 sacks and 23 tackles for loss led the league.

And, oh yeah, Watt can play the run and cover tight ends if the defense needs.

"Incredibly productive player in every phase," an NFC exec said. "Probably has the best combination of motor and smarts in the league. He wins with intelligence, effort, technique, positioning."

All these factors made a compelling case for the top spot. Some evaluators consider Watt an overachiever.

"The truth is he might not have been the best athlete at his own position," an NFC defensive coach said, referring to former teammate Bud Dupree, who signed with Tennessee as a free agent. "He's not the most explosive guy. But he's so damn relentless and smart and technically perfect that he just wins. He'll probably have a Hall of Fame career for all those reasons."

3051389.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

3. Joey Bosa, Los Angeles Chargers

Highest ranking: 1 | Lowest ranking: 10

Pass-rush purists love Bosa, and that showed in the voting. Some who preferred singular athletes such as Garrett were a bit lower on Bosa, while those who prioritize technique love him.

"Best technician in the NFL -- great short-area speed, best hands," one NFL personnel evaluator said.

The game's highest-paid pass-rusher at $27.5 million per year, Bosa had another tremendous season, putting up a 24.9% pass-rush win rate (fifth in the league). He created 26 incompletions, fourth best among edge rushers, though he didn't match his peers in double-team effectiveness (five wins on 64 attempts, 7.8%).

"He's a load," an NFL veteran offensive lineman told me. "His ability to create leverage makes for a long day."

16710.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgroun

4. Khalil Mack, Chicago Bears

Highest ranking: 1 | Lowest ranking: 9

Mack was good in 2020. Last year's No. 1 pass-rusher on our list won 19% of his pass rushes and created 13 total sacks, including nine individually.

Some evaluators question, however, whether he was great.

"I didn't think he was last year," an NFL coordinator said. "Robert Quinn [on the other side] didn't do him any favors. But [Mack] simply didn't win enough for a player of his caliber."

To be sure, Mack appeared on the injury report 10 times while dealing with knee, back, ankle and shoulder injuries. But his double-team rate has declined in each of the last three seasons, yet his win rate was three percentage points lower than in 2019. Mack won 9.7% of his double teams (seven of 72).

"His 'wow' plays are unbelievable," the coordinator said. "There just weren't enough of them."

14927.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgroun

5. Chandler Jones, Arizona Cardinals

Highest ranking: 3 | Lowest ranking: 9

Jones' injury-shortened 2020 season doesn't discount his standing among the game's best.

He fell three spots after missing 11 games with a biceps injury that required surgery. He finished the year with one sack and seven quarterback pressures.

But no pass-rusher has been more consistent when healthy than Jones, who averaged 14.5 sacks per season from 2014-19. And his game should translate to multiple high-level years in Arizona, evaluators agree.

"I still don't understand why the Patriots let him go," an AFC defensive coach said. "His bend, hands and flexibility are still elite. Most guys his size [6-foot-5, 265 pounds] aren't flexible, but he gets lower than you'd think and that tackles can't handle. And I don't think a bicep injury will change that."

13976.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgroun

6. Von Miller, Denver Broncos

Highest ranking: 1 | Lowest ranking: 11

Surprised that a pass-rusher who didn't play a snap last season is ranked this high? Don't be. The Broncos said plenty about Miller's place in the game by picking up a $17.5 million option for an aging player in a salary-cap-strapped year during the pandemic.

It's because Miller is still a premier player, even with the ankle injury that derailed his 2020 season last September. He has averaged 0.79 sacks per game for his career, tied with J.J. Watt for second among any player with at least 100 games played. Only Reggie White is ahead of them.

Returning from ankle surgery will test that pace, but supporters are willing to bet on him.

"He's still the best when he's healthy," an NFC exec said. "He's No. 1 on my list. His ability to win off the edge with bend is still second to none."

Miller's 106 sacks through his first nine seasons are the fifth-most by any player since individual sacks became official in 1982.

"He understands what it takes to win, so I'm not so worried about his injury," an AFC defensive coach said. "He knows what it takes to win."

There is some positive buzz in Denver, too, about Miller's return.

4241986.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

7. Chase Young, Washington Football Team

Highest ranking: 2 | Lowest ranking: 12

The can't-miss prospect out of the 2020 draft proved that he was up to that description during his rookie season. His 22.5% pass-rush win rate ranked eighth among all NFL defenders, and he showed a flare for the splash play with four forced fumbles and four pass deflections.

"He's going to be dominant for a very long time," a veteran NFL defensive coach said. "Monster. You could see that coming out of Ohio State. He not only had the massive talent but acted like a professional before he got to the league. He knows what it takes, and his get-off is already one of the best in the league."

Young also handles double teams well, winning 10 of 69 matchups (14.5%) when covered by two blockers. He's the youngest player in this top 10 by three full years and could be primed to move up as his career progresses.

4040605.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

8. Nick Bosa, San Francisco 49ers

Highest ranking: 2 | Lowest ranking: Unranked

The torn ACL in Week 2 last season caused Bosa's inevitable drop from No. 3 last year, but voters are still high on his elite ability in the long term.

Bosa won Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2019 with nine sacks, 25 quarterback hits and 16 tackles for loss. He didn't have enough time to put up numbers but still posted an impressive 84.9 Pro Football Focus rating in limited 2020 action.

"Instincts and technique -- excellent with his hands and counters and plays with power," an NFC scout said. "Really no 'wow' physical trait but knows how to play the game. Can play the run and pass with no real weakness there."

13971.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgroun

9. Cameron Jordan, New Orleans Saints

Highest ranking: 2 | Lowest ranking: Unranked

One NFL defensive coordinator put Jordan in his top five for interior defensive linemen and pass-rushers.

"He belongs on either list," the coordinator said. "Doesn't matter where he lines up. Just a great football player."

Jordan's sack totals dipped from 15.5 to 7.5 and his 11.6% pass-rush win rate in 2020 wasn't elite. But the Saints had some early-season injuries that allowed offenses to focus on Jordan, thus affecting his numbers. And he won 14.3% of his rushes from the interior.

Jordan's 214 pressures over four seasons trail only Aaron Donald (229), and his run-stop win rate of 27% is a strength.

Coaches say Jordan gets a ton of backfield pressure that doesn't show up in the numbers. An AFC defensive coach added: "Defenses know what move he's gonna throw at you and still can't stop it. He has this stab, swipe, arm-over move that is a beast. Just has really innate timing and feel with his hands."

2976560.png&w=43&h=60&scale=crop&backgro

10. Danielle Hunter, Minnesota Vikings

Highest ranking: 4 | Lowest ranking: Unranked

Hunter finished just outside of the top 10 going into last season, but voters recognized just how much the Vikings missed him in 2020. The numbers say Minnesota's pass production cut nearly in half without Hunter, who missed the entire season after undergoing surgery to repair a herniated disc.

Since 2019, the Vikings have 42 sacks on opponents' 527 dropbacks (8%) with Hunter on the field, yet 29 sacks on 679 dropbacks (4.3%) with Hunter off the field. Hunter racked up 56 pressures by himself in 2019, yet the Vikings had 137 total pressures as a team last season, fourth-fewest in the NFL.

Still underpaid on a five-year, $72 million deal, expect Hunter to remind Minnesota of his worth in 2021.

"He's kind of like Myles Garrett in that he's built like a Marvel character," an AFC scout said. "Special traits and he has length to win and counter moves to go with it."

_end_rule.png

Edge rushers also receiving votes

Shaquil Barrett, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: "He's a pure pass-rusher and very talented but not sure he's as complete a player as others on this list. The Bucs needed to wait and see on him with the franchise tag. But he was [great] in the playoffs and [is] a helluva player. But if we're talking top 10, that's a tough sell for me." -- AFC exec

Za'Darius Smith, Green Bay Packers: "With those heavy hands, he can play the run and the pass, he gets TFLs, lives in the backfield, can play inside and out. He's elite for me." -- AFC defensive coach

Frank Clark, Kansas City Chiefs: "He's still a problem. Natural pass-rusher but he can do a little bit of everything. He's got to bring it more consistently." -- NFC defensive coach

Brian Burns, Carolina Panthers: "He's one of those next top-tier guys. He's not at that level yet, but he's coming. He can go." -- NFL coordinator

Matt Judon, New England Patriots: "I'm partial to complete football players and this guy can do it all vs. run and pass." -- AFC defensive coach

Bud Dupree, Tennessee Titans: "As far as explosion, burst off the edge and pass-rush traits, he was one of the most talented guys in Pittsburgh, and was finally putting it together before the injury." -- AFC scout