Your top 5 pass rushers as of 2021

Ok this is just getting a little ridiculous around here.

I love Joey Bosa, easily one of the best DE prospects I have watched in 20 years no question.  Has an awesome frame, uses his hands very well and is extremely productive when he is out there.  Sadly his career has been a little up and down because he has been hurt so much and missed so many games, never missed a full season like Danielle last year but a lot of games here and there over his career.

Mind you Joey Bosa's dad is a former NFL player not to mention Grandfather, Uncle, Grand-Uncle all played in the NFL as well and clearly his brother and cousin currently.  He was a big time prospect coming into Ohio State and had an awesome true freshman season and beyond and was always elite.

Danielle on the other hand did not know what NFL football was till 2002 and was born in Jamaica.  He said "(I) couldn't understand why his stepdad would want to spend every Sunday in front of a TV cheering for a guy named Michael Strahan to get something he called a 'sack.' "

So where theses guys started from in general, yeah got to give a few more props to Danielle on that one compared to the NFL history the Bosa family has.  Both great ends though no question and both should be considered top 5 when healthy.  

Also mind you out of the list the NFL big shots put out, everyone of those dudes outside of Hunter were either the 1st, 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft or a mid 1st rounder or late 1st rounder.  Every single one outside of Hunter.  So outside of Hunter they were all expected pretty much to be doing what they are doing currently.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Did I miss something?  Is this now a "top 5 exceeded expectations" list?

Go ahead and predict already great plays in high school and college that are extremely high 1st round draft picks at defensive end will be great in the NFL.  I had Danielle Hunter a late 1st round pick or early 2nd rounder when he came out of LSU so I did not just all of a sudden start hyping him after the fact.  Did I know he was going to be this good in the NFL, no but just keep passing off what the has done as if anyone and everyone else on the list has done it, which they have not.  Because all were higher ranked players and more "developed" prospects coming out of college so yeah they are going to succeed more often than not.  Chase Young had success in the NFL as a rookie on a team with a great defensive line and he was a prospect who could have went #1 overall, oh wow what a shocker?  No really.  

Anyone that watched Chase Young in college knows he was an amazing talent and there is a reason he almost won the Heisman trophy at defensive end, that last season played about as good as any defensive end in the history of college football has played at a high level against top competition.  But you act as if you are the only guy on earth that thinks he is good?  Ok.  

I'm just not even going to point out the bad list anymore.

I refuse to have an intelligent debate with anyone who doesn't have Bosa top 5 and just call you a hater or casual in my head and move on.

Because i suspect the bad list are coming in attempt to trigger me. I will not subside to the peer pressure. 🤓

41 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Okay, I see.  This has turned into a "pat myself on the back because I was right about a prospect" thread.

Not exactly, I mentioned that point because it shows that I am not just talking about a player because he plays for a team I follow.  I actually watch prospects coming out of college a ton and I am not totally glued to NFL content only.  But disregard the point all you want, still fact is all of these dudes you speak of were expected to do what they are doing based on where they were drafted, and you should get props for thinking the same because you found some unconventional stats online....ok.   Rather how about a thank you when I answered my own question and found the information in regards to double teams and blocking win rate with that data, something you never did. 

3 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

All you need to see is this. Level of double teams, with win rate.

Not sure what more i need to show. This is with Joey never having good interior dlinmen play. 

Can you explain that graph to me a little bit?  Like Z Smith, like I'm a Packer fan, and I love me some Z, does this graph show that he wins his rush a lot and faces more doubles teams than most everyone else?

5 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:
  1. Shaq Barrett
  2. TJ Watt
  3. Myles Garrett 
  4. Chase Young 
  5. Von Miller (would be in the top 1 if he wasn't hurt last year)

Shaq Barrett is a tough eval, he was arguably not even the best pass rusher on the team last year, JPP was more dominating start to finish arguably and is a more well rounded player.  Also helps those edge guys greatly with Devin White ripping it up the middle and getting a ton of pressure and sacks.  Then they got Suh who is hard to deal with when motivated, Vea was not even healthy all year but is a load inside and Gholston who gets a solid push as well.  That front seven is as good as any in the NFL, and now they add Tryon and Britt as rookie backers they are really solid.  But sure Barrett is one of the best pure pass rushers at times but need to see a little more consistency out of him than just one or two wow years.  

Boyles did a hell of a job with them though, he should have really got a HC job this past off season.  

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Can you explain that graph to me a little bit?  Like Z Smith, like I'm a Packer fan, and I love me some Z, does this graph show that he wins his rush a lot and faces more doubles teams than most everyone else?

Pretty much the x axis shows how much a player got double teamed and the y axis shows how often said player won against the double team (I beleive thats what the y axis states the amount of times they won against the double team could be wrong)

Edited by mattyice0401

16 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

Pretty much the x axis shows how much a player got double teamed and the y axis shows how often said player won against the double team (I beleive thats what the y axis states the amount of times they won against the double team could be wrong)

Yeah, but according to the graph JJ Watt faced more double teams than Smith, but again that is deceptive because what is and is not considered a double team based on those collecting the data.  So there are errors potentially, not like a dude sat and counted each time it occurred every play all year.  But then again that same chart says Odenigbo was doubled a lot last year which I call BS on that all day long, he was not that good last season.  Also says Cam Jordan was doubled about the same rate as Trey Hendrickson, how in the world is that accurate at all, Cam saw most the doubles on that DL no Hendrickson is my guess.

But yeah they are nice to look at from time to time but deceptive in how the numbers are put in the graph sometimes and what each axis represents can be deceptive at times as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Not exactly, I mentioned that point because it shows that I am not just talking about a player because he plays for a team I follow.  I actually watch prospects coming out of college a ton and I am not totally glued to NFL content only.  But disregard the point all you want, still fact is all of these dudes you speak of were expected to do what they are doing based on where they were drafted, and you should get props for thinking the same because you found some unconventional stats online....ok.   Rather how about a thank you when I answered my own question and found the information in regards to double teams and blocking win rate with that data, something you never did. 

Lmao

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Shaq Barrett

Barrett is the most overrated pass rusher named in this entire thread. Much less #1. His stats are largely dependent on Bowles heavy blitz scheme and Vea's interior pressure up the middle.

It's not a coincidence that his best season spiked abnormally HIGH in 2019 when Vita Vea was actually healthy for the entire season and then tailed off in 2020 when Vea was injured. It's also not a coincidence that Barrett was invisible during the first two games of the playoffs when Via was injured when Barrett gets 3 sacks against the Packers elite OL in the NFCC game just as soon as Vea is cleared to play --albeit limited.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

telling someone is wrong when its their opinion is probably the dumbest take ive ever heard on this forum.

I mean, opinions can certainly be bad. And they can certainly be wrong. 

If my opinion is that Andrew Billings is a superior defensive tackle to Aaron Donald, it’s both bad and wrong. An opinion is not absent of criticism based on that either.

• Like 1