PFF roster rankings for all 32 teams.

TecmoSuperJoe

There's always a lot of anti-PFF stuff on this forum, but over the last year I've been listening to their podcasts and reading some of the stuff on their website and find it really interesting/enjoyable.

I'm not sure why people are so anti-PFF or think that they are one big joke.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DawgX said:

How so?

Several reasons.

One, I don't even think they're the best team in their own (tough) division. In fact, you could make an argument that they're still behind both the Steelers and the Ravens.

Two, while they did improve on defense, I don't think they did enough to make a big enough impact THIS year. I know they had their fair share of injuries last season and revamped half the starters but I'm not overly impressed with the replacements either. Don't get me wrong, I really like the idea that the FO made the defense a high priority in the off-season but I question some choice players made with those decisions, and all in all I don't think the defense will start to see their investments pay off until next season .

Getting Myles back from injury is huge, so +1 for that, but for how long? The man is always banged up. I loved the Delpit pick last year so getting him into the mix is an upgrade for sure, so +1 for that as well and I like Ward. Clowney is overrated as hell IMO and is somehow still living off of his draft status and name. He's nothing more than a rotational guy at this point, IMO. I thought Takk was a good signing. I liked him in the draft but so far he hasn't lived up to the expectations, but that was with the Falcons and a change of scenery may do him some good, we'll see. But right now, I can't look at the signing as being anything more than depth (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it doesn't move the needle much either). Furthermore, I'm not a big fan of JOK. He's a small tweener but does play bigger than his size. I'd really like to see what he could do at S in the NFL to be honest. IMO, he's very much a project player with a high ceiling and I think he's still a couple of years away from reaching his potential. And mind you, this is all coming from a ND fan. I'm not familiar enough with Greg Newsome so I'll withhold any judgement there. But any improvement in the pass rush is better than none. I liked Jordan Elliot in the draft as a project but he's been a disappointment. Hopefully, for your guys' sake, the smoke about him really working hard in the offseason can pay off this year. It would help the pass rush tremendously in the middle, even if it's only for a handful of plays. 

Three, I'm not sold on the offense. I've never been a big fan of Landry (I've been in many discussions on this forum about him) and it's safe to say that OBJ is not the great player he used to be. Plus, I'm not the biggest fan of Baker either. I know I'm gonna get alot flak for saying this but it is what it is.

Edited by JAF-N72EX

On 7/4/2021 at 12:02 AM, Jakuvious said:

Out of curiosity, what specifically in their grades and write up do you disagree with? I would agree with you on Dallas. I don't think their ranking of Dallas makes sense even in the context of their own listed player grades. But for Denver and WFT, I can certainly understand it, depending on how you want to weigh things. Denver and Washington are firmly in the camp of strong roster held back by bad QB play. Like, by the charts they post, they have one player on Tennessee's defense graded higher than 67 last year (not counting the rookie.) Washington has 7, and Denver had 9. So I think it's fully understandable why PFF, using their grades, would rate those rosters higher.

i'm just confused by their methodology, period. based on their own grades, the titans have a significantly higher average grade (72.02) than the bills (66.72), who are ranked 4th to the titans' 13th. this holds true even if you go more granular and look at offense (titans 78.64, bills 73.22) vs defense (titans 65.39, bills 60.22). and that's not even getting into the grades themselves- caleb farley being rated higher than tre white, for instance, is one of the more ludicrous ones (though i should note that the titans' averages remain higher than the bills' even if you take tennessee's highly-rated rookies out of the picture). so how did they come to buffalo being ranked 8 spots higher than tennessee? clearly this isn't being done by overall roster strength irrespective of position, so the argument about washington and denver being above tennessee on the grounds of being strong rosters held back by bad QB play doesn't really hold up.

at the end of the day, though, this isn't to argue that the titans' roster is stronger than any of these teams. simple averages are obviously not a sophisticated analysis. but without knowing how the teams were ranked based on those ratings, all of this might as well be made up. perhaps there was some position-based weighting going on, but it'd be awfully nice if they'd just say that instead of doing this all so opaquely.

5 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Several reasons.

One, I don't even think they're the best team in their own (tough) division. In fact, you could make an argument that they're still behind both the Steelers and the Ravens.

Two, while they did improve on defense, I don't think they did enough to make a big enough impact THIS year. I know they had their fair share of injuries last season and revamped half the starters but I'm not overly impressed with the replacements either. Don't get me wrong, I really like the idea that the FO made the defense a high priority in the off-season but I question some choice players made with those decisions, and all in all I don't think the defense will start to see their investments pay off until next season .

Getting Myles back from injury is huge, so +1 for that, but for how long? The man is always banged up. I loved the Delpit pick last year so getting him into the mix is an upgrade for sure, so +1 for that as well and I like Ward. Clowney is overrated as hell IMO and is somehow still living off of his draft status and name. He's nothing more than a rotational guy at this point, IMO. I thought Takk was a good signing. I liked him in the draft but so far he hasn't lived up to the expectations, but that was with the Falcons and a change of scenery may do him some good, we'll see. But right now, I can't look at the signing as being anything more than depth (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it doesn't move the needle much either). Furthermore, I'm not a big fan of JOK. He's a small tweener but does play bigger than his size. I'd really like to see what he could do at S in the NFL to be honest. IMO, he's very much a project player with a high ceiling and I think he's still a couple of years away from reaching his potential. And mind you, this is all coming from a ND fan. I'm not familiar enough with Greg Newsome so I'll withhold any judgement there. But any improvement in the pass rush is better than none. I liked Jordan Elliot in the draft as a project but he's been a disappointment. Hopefully, for your guys' sake, the smoke about him really working hard in the offseason can pay off this year. It would help the pass rush tremendously in the middle, even if it's only for a handful of plays. 

Three, I'm not sold on the offense. I've never been a big fan of Landry (I've been in many discussions on this forum about him) and it's safe to say that OBJ is not the great player he used to be. Plus, I'm not the biggest fan of Baker either. I know I'm gonna get alot flak for saying this but it is what it is.

We beat the Steelers 2/3 games and we have drastically improved our defense. I thought we drafted better than them too. The weakest part of our defense last year was the secondary, and now it could be the strongest. 

Ward, jj3, harrison, delpit, hill, newsome, greed that is a very good group with two high end players and three guys who are very good and some young guys.. Last year it was ward, Kevin Johnson, Robert jackson, mj stewart, andrew sendejo, karl Joseph, three of these guys wont play a s ap in the nfl this year. 

I think the ravens are the team to beat in the afc north. Bit to say we arent a top 5-10 roster isnt that reasonable.

As with most teams we will go where our qb takes us. With Baker, i could see him playing anywhere from average to excellent. His best games will be brees like.

On 7/8/2021 at 7:38 AM, JonMcC2018 said:

There's always a lot of anti-PFF stuff on this forum, but over the last year I've been listening to their podcasts and reading some of the stuff on their website and find it really interesting/enjoyable.

I'm not sure why people are so anti-PFF or think that they are one big joke.

There is nothing wrong with PFF as long as you take it as one ranking/stat/analysis in conjunction with others.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

We beat the Steelers 2/3 games and we have drastically improved our defense. I thought we drafted better than them too. The weakest part of our defense last year was the secondary, and now it could be the strongest. 

Ward, jj3, harrison, delpit, hill, newsome, greed that is a very good group with two high end players and three guys who are very good and some young guys.. Last year it was ward, Kevin Johnson, Robert jackson, mj stewart, andrew sendejo, karl Joseph, three of these guys wont play a s ap in the nfl this year.

I agree with drafting better. But the Browns got washed in the first game against the Steelers early in the season while they were still healthy. And 1 of those 2 wins came down to the wire against Mason Rudolph and if the Browns lose that game than the Dolphins take the Browns 7th spot and they don't even see the playoffs or the 3rd game.

I agree, they did improve on defense. But by how much is debatable. RE; They were terrible last year and I'm not convinced they did enough to make a huge leap THIS year. IMO, they have a good set of core players to be a top defense in the future, but I don't see it happening this season. Outside of Myles, I don't trust the pass rush for reasons mentioned. 

19 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Bit to say we arent a top 5-10 roster isnt that reasonable.

To be clear, I never said they didn't have a top-10 roster. I don't know where I would rank them personally, I'd have to give it more thought to be honest, but I don't think I would fight anyone putting the Browns within that 10 range. But to place them at #3 in the league......that's a reach, IMO. Just on the strength of the division alone.

19 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I think the ravens are the team to beat in the afc north.

I certainly wouldn't disagree with this take either. There's def room for this argument, but I also think the same could be made for the Steelers too tho. And even the Browns. Again, it's already a tough division that's hindering on alot of different unknown factors and I could see a legit argument for either of them.

Can the Ravens give Lamar more help in the pass game? Can Lamar take that next step in becoming an elite passer without relying on heavy set packages like he did in 2019? Was the 2019 season a fluke for Greg Roman when he surprised defenses with those heavy 3 TE looks that hadn't been seen since the early 90's? 

Which version of Big ben and Juju are we gonna see? The inconsistent passer that rode a 11-0 record(?) behind an elite defense, or will he finally realize that he's not 25 anymore and adjust his game accordingly to be more consistent? Will Juju finally step up to be the true #1 they had hoped he would be, or will he continue to struggle against physical backs and press coverage? It's easy to get open against soft zone coverages. Will Fitchner adjust his gameplan and prep to accommodate these two factors, or will he continue to just coast through games?

For the Browns, I've already explained the defensive side of the ball. Can Mayfield finally take that next step and become a more consistent passer? I'm tired of seeing these type of throws that make you go "DAMN THAT WAS NICE" followed up with a "WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING?".

And let's not sleep on the Bengals either. No, I don't think they will compete for the playoffs this year, but I do think they'll be much more competitive and will not go 0-6 (or whatever it was) within the division again this season.

That's just my opinion is all.

On 7/8/2021 at 11:32 PM, JAF-N72EX said:

Several reasons.

I mean as a Browns fan the possibility everything falls apart and we finish .500 or below always seems strong, but it's hard to imagine going player for player down the roster at this (meaningless) stage of the off-season and thinking the Steelers might be stronger there. 

1 hour ago, Rod Johnson said:

but it's hard to imagine going player for player down the roster at this (meaningless) stage of the off-season and thinking the Steelers might be stronger there. 

But is it really tho? Or are you possibly letting your bias get in the way of your opinion? 

I have no dog in this fight. In fact, hold up....that's not really true either. I ACTUALLY HATE the Steelers. But again, I could see an argument either way. There's no definitive answer IMO and I've already addressed this.

Let me be even more clear. If you think the Browns have a better roster than the Steelers and Ravens, then fine. I have no issue with it. But to act like the Browns roster is so much far superior seems ridiculous to me. Much less the 3rd best roster in the league. That's a tough division. 

On 7/11/2021 at 2:01 AM, JAF-N72EX said:

But is it really tho? Or are you possibly letting your bias get in the way of your opinion? 

I have no dog in this fight. In fact, hold up....that's not really true either. I ACTUALLY HATE the Steelers. But again, I could see an argument either way. There's no definitive answer IMO and I've already addressed this.

Let me be even more clear. If you think the Browns have a better roster than the Steelers and Ravens, then fine. I have no issue with it. But to act like the Browns roster is so much far superior seems ridiculous to me. Much less the 3rd best roster in the league. That's a tough division. 

I don't think it's bias at all.  On paper the Steelers have a better front 7, the Browns have a better everything else.

On 7/8/2021 at 11:32 PM, JAF-N72EX said:

Several reasons.

The Office Boomer GIF by MOODMAN