PFF roster rankings for all 32 teams.

On 7/8/2021 at 5:38 AM, JonMcC2018 said:

There's always a lot of anti-PFF stuff on this forum, but over the last year I've been listening to their podcasts and reading some of the stuff on their website and find it really interesting/enjoyable.

I'm not sure why people are so anti-PFF or think that they are one big joke.

A lot of their analysis and explanations are really enjoyable, but then they end up publishing some result like Devin White has a grade of 48.1 on this ranking. Most to all of their linebackers seem to be really underrated in their rating system, like Tremaine Edmunds isn't a 41.2, or rookie Patrick Queen a 29.1.

If the Raiders could have SLB Devin White 48.1, MLB Tremaine Edmunds 41.2 and WLB Patrick Queen 29.1
or the Raiders have SLB Nicholas Morrow 63.7, MLB Nick Kwiatkoski 67.1, and WLB Cory Littleton 47.1

Their ranking system implies what they have would be better, but common sense would suggest the three recent first round picks. There's something missing from their grading system or an explanation that sometimes leaves a head scratching moment. If you listen to their podcasts or read their articles it's a much better product.

• Like 2

I've heard them talk specifically about Devin White and his rating on their podcast before. Their basic argument is that:

1. Linebacker is just about the toughest position to play in the NFL, with three main responsibilities - pass defence, run defence, and blitzing. Very few linebackers grade well on their system.

2. Offenses spend a lot of time designing their schemes to deliberately pinpoint/expose linebacker coverage.

3. Very few casual fans watching the game have any idea of how well a linebacker is actually playing over the course of a game.

4. Devin White makes a good amount of 'splash' plays a game - a few big tackles, maybe a pick, a pass break up - that get you noticed on commentary a few times a game.

5. Outside of these 5/6 splash plays, there may be 10 other plays where he takes the wrong angle on a tackle, whiff on a coverage, get blocked by a tight end etc etc.

6. Guys like Bobby Wagner and Luke Kuechly who grade well on their system very rarely make mistakes.

• Like 5

And again I wouldn't take their word as gospel, but it's more the dismissive tone that people take against them that I find odd.

I mean have the people criticising them really gone to the effort of watching every single snap Nick Kwiatkoski took last year?

• Like 2
On 7/12/2021 at 12:50 PM, Trojan said:

A lot of their analysis and explanations are really enjoyable, but then they end up publishing some result like Devin White has a grade of 48.1 on this ranking. Most to all of their linebackers seem to be really underrated in their rating system, like Tremaine Edmunds isn't a 41.2, or rookie Patrick Queen a 29.1.

If the Raiders could have SLB Devin White 48.1, MLB Tremaine Edmunds 41.2 and WLB Patrick Queen 29.1
or the Raiders have SLB Nicholas Morrow 63.7, MLB Nick Kwiatkoski 67.1, and WLB Cory Littleton 47.1

Their ranking system implies what they have would be better, but common sense would suggest the three recent first round picks. There's something missing from their grading system or an explanation that sometimes leaves a head scratching moment. If you listen to their podcasts or read their articles it's a much better product.

Devin white was arguably the worst LB in football in coverage until the last 3 games of the playoffs where he was excellent.

PFF is a big believer in Coverage>Run stopping

On 7/10/2021 at 1:36 AM, JAF-N72EX said:

I agree with drafting better. But the Browns got washed in the first game against the Steelers early in the season while they were still healthy.

Well, Browns weren't healthy week 6 either. Baker had cracked ribs and had his worst performance of the year, Wyatt Teller (highest rated player on our o-line) didn't play, and Nick Chubb didn't play. And obviously the defense was missing some pieces in the secondary.

Instead of being a homer I'll just act surprised that the Chargers are that low. Sure they have a young, still somewhat unproven QB but overall I'm expecting them to reach the playoffs at the least.

• Like 1

Pretty fair for the Vikings. I would argue they could be ranked a little higher, but their complaints about starting multiple rookies on the O-Line are fair. Still, a top 5 offense that arguably improved their only hole at O-Line and a defense that added Danielle Hunter, Dalvin Tomlinson, Michael Pierce, Anthony Barr, Patrick Peterson, Xavier Woods, and Bashaud Breeland.

Biggest strength: Darren Waller has at least earned a spot at the table in the conversation for league's best tight end with his play over the past two seasons. Since 2019, Waller has more contested catches (27) and receiving yards after the catch (1,188) than any other tight end in the NFL. He ranks second to only Travis Kelce in receptions of at least 15 yards over that same stretch (55). The missed time from George Kittle last season due to injury plays a part in some of those ranks, but Waller has been nothing short of elite.

Waller is a true stud but I agree with him ranked as #3. 

On 7/12/2021 at 11:58 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

The Office Boomer GIF by MOODMAN

Thank you for such a compelling argument, but next time I would prefer to talk to your parents.

On 7/14/2021 at 2:46 PM, Vee-Rex said:

Well, Browns weren't healthy week 6 either. Baker had cracked ribs and had his worst performance of the year, Wyatt Teller (highest rated player on our o-line) didn't play, and Nick Chubb didn't play. And obviously the defense was missing some pieces in the secondary.

I get that and that may be true, but wouldn't you say the same could be said for just about any team in any given week tho? Who were the Steelers missing? Who was playing thru injuries? It works both ways.

I understand that playing thru injuries are tough and def have an effect on a person's play.....I'm not denying that at all. But I also understand that; A) not all positions and injuries are equal. B) Their counterparts may also be playing thru injuries as well too. C) Alot of injuries go undocumented. So it's hard to weigh which had more of an impact. JMO.

• Like 1
On 7/16/2021 at 12:39 AM, JAF-N72EX said:

Thank you for such a compelling argument, but next time I would prefer to talk to your parents.

I get that and that may be true, but wouldn't you say the same could be said for just about any team in any given week tho? Who were the Steelers missing? Who was playing thru injuries? It works both ways.

I understand that playing thru injuries are tough and def have an effect on a person's play.....I'm not denying that at all. But I also understand that; A) not all positions and injuries are equal. B) Their counterparts may also be playing thru injuries as well too. C) Alot of injuries go undocumented. So it's hard to weigh which had more of an impact. JMO.

Helps if you do some basic research:

Browns: OUT: G Wyatt Teller (calf), S Ronnie Harrison (concussion), S Karl Joseph (hamstring), LB Jacob Phillips; QUESTIONABLE: WR Odell Beckham (illness), QB Baker Mayfield (chest), WR Jarvis Landry (ribs/hip), DE Olivier Vernon (groin), Larry Ogunjobi (abdomen)

Steelers: OUT: WR Diontae Johnson (back), G David DeCastro (abdomen)

Big difference in the type of players out for each team.

• Like 1
On 7/16/2021 at 12:39 AM, JAF-N72EX said:

I'm not making excuses or saying the Steelers weren't the better team that week or anything. I was responding to you saying the Browns were healthy. They weren't.

On 7/14/2021 at 2:50 PM, DutchFalcon said:

Instead of being a homer I'll just act surprised that the Chargers are that low. Sure they have a young, still somewhat unproven QB but overall I'm expecting them to reach the playoffs at the least.

People have been expecting the Chargers to be the trendy breakout pick every season since 2011

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

People have been expecting the Chargers to be the trendy breakout pick every season since 2011

If there is ever a time that their lack of a fan base is minimized, it’s with COVID restrictions. It may be this year or never. 

13 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Kind of disagreed. It was funny for a few year that they were doing magic chairs with which part of the team would hold them back (Offense one year, Defence the next and Special teams after that). But after that the wheels kind of fell off and with a weak Oline I haven't seen them as a breakout team since ~2014ish or something. Hell, maybe even before that.