Your top 5 cornerbacks

Letsch80

On 7/3/2021 at 10:21 AM, Letsch80 said:

A lot of talent at the position right now. 

1. Jalen Ramsey

2. Jaire Alexander

3. Marlon Humphrey (A bit biased)

4. Xavien Howard

5. Tredavious White

Just missed

James Bradberry, Stephon Gilmore, Marshawn Lattimore, Denzel Ward

Ramsey

humphrey

jaire

xavien

lattimore

On 7/8/2021 at 8:00 PM, wackywabbit said:

It's not biased to put Humphrey in the top 3. What I love about him is that he does everything. Coverage, run defense, tillman punch 2.0. Throw him into the slot (which is definitely worse for your metrics as a CB) because the team loses their slot corner and has Peters and Jimmy Smith as strictly boundary corner, sure! He does it all. 

Denzel Ward is a guy who I feel like I've never actually seen him do anything special despite watching the AFC North very closely. Everyone says he's good at football though and I guess he doesn't allow catches when he's standing on the sideline. Even on the field the rest of the Browns' secondary has been so bad that why would you even throw at an average CB?

Ward had the 3rd lowest passer rating allowed in the league.  3rd in the league in pass deflections in 13 games.

Shoot I did some research and apparently he's got a 31% completion against when in single coverage over the last 3 seasons which is pretty insane.

Yeah he's missed a lot of games and because of that he's definitely not top 5, but he's pretty good.

I swear Ravens and Steelers fans have an alliance to randomly besmirch Browns players in this forum lmao

Edited by Rod Johnson
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 8:00 PM, wackywabbit said:

Denzel Ward is a guy who I feel like I've never actually seen him do anything special despite watching the AFC North very closely. Everyone says he's good at football though and I guess he doesn't allow catches when he's standing on the sideline. Even on the field the rest of the Browns' secondary has been so bad that why would you even throw at an average CB?

Coming from a team with a non-existent passing game, I can see why you would think that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/401220147 

Gotta be super embarrassing to let a team with a non-existent passing game go 20/25, 275 and 3 TDs on you I bet

Let's not forget the rematch later in the season where a non-existent passing game put up 47 points despite Lamar missing about one full quarter of play. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

Career passer rating:

Lamar Jackson: 102.6
Baker Mayfield: 89.1

Career AY/A

Lamar Jackson: 8.1
Baker Mayfield: 7.1

45 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/401220147 

Gotta be super embarrassing to let a team with a non-existent passing game go 20/25, 275 and 3 TDs on you I bet

Please stay on topic or I'm gonna have to lock this up 🙅 🔐

50 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

As much as I love Gilmore, he is not a top 5 corner to me. In fact, I believe Jackson is.

Howard, Jackson, Ramsey, Alexander, White

no order

JC can’t be in there with how badly he got torched at times last season. Other guys simply didn’t have games like that.

In no order after 1st because I clearly think Ramsey has that crown. You cant even call me a homer on this because last year proves Ramsey should take that crown. Nobody shuts down Hopkins 2x and Metcalf 3x in the same season and not be considered the best. Not to mention all the other great receivers like Diggs that Ramsey did a great job against last season. So after Ramsey at one, in no particular order:

Alexander

White

Howard

Gilmore

HM: Humphrey 

The landscape of corners are in great shape even with the rules leaned towards the offense and so many talented receivers. Like even corners that are on the rise like Williams of the Rams and then rookies coming in like Surtain II its going to be fun to watch individual matchups and how defensive coordinators use these great corners within the scheme of their defensive to help slow down opposing offensives. What Seattle did back in the day with Sherman and the legion of boom was special. What we saw Brandon Staley did with the Rams last season knowing that he had Ramsey in the secondary was special. I think he can do something similar with the Chargers because I do love their secondary. Its going to be interesting and I cant wait.