MKnight82's Top 50 Video Games of All Time - Full List Up

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Any predictions for top 10?

I might have missed some you posted but here are some guesses.

Modern Warfare 2

Halo 2

Skyrim

Age of Empires

Last of Us

GTA 3 or 5

God of War

Assassin's Creed-Origins 

Fortnite (regardless of opinion, what this game did for video game progression is astounding)

Edited by AkronsWitness

16 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I'm actually surprised you guys didn't have a stronger reactions to Witcher 3 being outside of the top 10.

It's probably in a fair spot for me too. Maybe Top 8. I was fine with it. I've only started to replay it once, so I am kind of with you there. 

#10 - XCOM 2

918MBaFEp9L._SL1500_.jpg

Played On: Xbox One

This game is the pinnacle of tactical turn based combat. All of the units are diversified and well balanced, and there are a good variety of enemy units you square off against. There are RPG elements with your characters leveling, and the different perk trees gives each squad member a different use and personality. The expansion pack really adds a bunch of great additional content along with some high end boss fights. The game is also just a really cool concept, with a human resistance group fighting against an alien invasion of earth. There's a lot of game mechanics that increase the replay ability too. You can upgrade your ship in any number of ways, and generally don't go in the same order as the time before. The research tree can be progressed along in any number of ways, and while some of the missions are standard story ones there is plenty of randomization happening within the combat there that makes every playthrough different than the last. I have definitely played this game all the way through at least 10 times at this point and it hasn't gotten old. 

Another thing that makes this game fun is that its hard. You can do seemingly everything right in a mission and then take a wrong turn and get your whole squad wiped out. That challenge and the other reasons listed above are why I have played this game so much and I expect I will continue to for many years to come. 

• Like 1

#9 - Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn

76400-baldur-s-gate-ii-shadows-of-amn-ma

Played On: PC, Xbox One

I recently downloaded the xbox one port of this game and replayed it and yep, it still holds up really well. This game is one of the most in depth and well written RPGs of all time. All of your squad members are great and have their own personalities, which was a big accomplishment back when this came out (2000). I mean Minsc might be the greatest squad member in RPG history. If you haven't played the game, Minsc is a ranger who carries around a hamster named Boo with him, and he's convinced Boo is actually a "miniature giant space hamster", you know, as one does. Go for the eyes boo!

There's some real complexity to this game in the character creation and leveling process. You can play your character dozens of ways which increases the replay ability a ton. The game is based on the old school dungeons and dragons leveling system so the complexity is very deep for a video game. You can also import your character from Baldur's Gate 1, which was pretty groundbreaking at the time. The setting is great with lots of towns and dungeons to explore. The developer Black Isle made a bunch of these isometric RPGs back in the day, and IMO this is the best one. I know a lot of people claim Planescape Torment to be the best but unfortunately I've never played that one. I will never get tired of this game and assume I'll still be playing it for years to come. There is an upcoming Baldur's Gate 3 coming out which I'm really excited for. 

• Like 1

#8 - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1586462817

Played on: Xbox

This is the greatest Star Wars game of all time and I don't think its very close. The story is better than the majority of the Star Wars movies to be honest. If you've never played the game, it takes place approximately 4,000 years prior to the events of the movies, and you play as a typical rpg hero, the guy who wakes up with no recollection of his past. An evil sith lord by the name of Malak (see the dude above with the lightsaber) has assembled a massive fleet and is threatening the whole galaxy.  You must assemble a team, discover where all of Malak's ships are coming from, figure our your past and put an end to Malak. There story has a lot of twists and turns and has one of the most famously shocking endings in gaming history. 

Most of the companions are great but I think most would agree the killer droid HK-47 is the best. "Commentary. That's the way to tell the meatbags master! Charging weapons just in case. This should be fun!" Oh man what a fun psychopathic robot. A lot of games have tried to do the choose to be a good guy or a bad guy thing. Star Wars is set up perfectly for that as it really makes a difference with path you choose, as it directly impacts what force powers you have. My only knock on this game is that the combat can be a little dry but otherwise its a masterpiece. 

I tried playing this on PC once but had all sorts of compatibility issues.  I still have my OG xbox and will on occasion pull it out and play this game.  It still holds up really well despite the graphics being dated. 

• Like 1

#7 - Starcraft

Played On: PC

Starcraft is the greatest RTS game of all time.  I mean its literally a professional sport in Korea. The 3 different factions are extremely well balanced, with legitimate strategies to win with each and ways to counter others attacks. The game plays like a game of chess. This game came out when I was in high school, and my parents had just let me have my own computer in my room for the first time. My friends and I would play the crap out of this game online. The multiplayer is extremely fun but it has one of the best single player campaigns of any RTS game IMO. The expansion pack Brood Wars brought some new units and additional single player missions to an already great game. I think the original is superior to Starcraft 2, which just doesn't have the same competitive balance as the original (plus it doesn't run on Windows 10 somehow yet the original does). I believe there is a remastered version coming out soon which I am highly anticipating. 

• Like 2

#6 - Mass Effect 2

51UacxPP4CL.jpg

Played On: Xbox 360, Xbox One

This game kind of prompted this list, as @MikeT14 mentioned we had a discussion of whether this was in our Top 5 video games of all time.  Well it just barely missed that mark for me as I couldn't squeeze it in. This is a fantastic game though and IMO the greatest game Bioware has ever made. This game improves on the first Mass Effect by streamlining the inventory system and improving the combat. It also takes some of the best companions from the first game (Garrus & Tali) and adds some new memorable ones (Miranda and Mordin). It was a very interesting concept too, as in the open sequence of the game your character is literally killed, and you are brought back to life through an experimental procedure from the dubious Cerberus group, who were bad guys (still bad guys?) in the original game. This causes an interesting story dynamic as you are now working for a group that is outside of the law, and technically an enemy of the council. 

There are some very memorable missions in this game. The battle on Horizon when all of the husks are swarming you, and those large Scion things are belting you with there blasts is one of the most difficult boss fights in any game ever.  Similarly, when trying to acquire the Reaper IFF and you're in that super confined area being swarmed by waves of husks is extremely challenging. Also the final premise, a "suicide mission" where literally anyone on your squad could actually die is one of the most hectic mission in gaming history. This game does a really good job of connecting you with your companions to. Each companion has their own "loyalty" quest you can perform where you learn a lot more about their backstory.  

If you haven't played this game before or want to replay it I would highly recommend getting the new HD remake that just came out. This game is infinitely replayable and one of the best RPGs of all time. 

• Like 2

#5 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim_1611085424693

Played On: Xbox 360, Xbox One

This game has been ported to like everyone console imaginable but I played it originally on xbox 360 and then the HD remaster on xbox One. If you haven't played this game you've kind of been living under a rock. This game is simply the best open world experience I've ever had in gaming. There is so much to do, so many quests, so many NPCs, the towns are great and the story is solid. You can literally just wander around in this game for hours having fun. The thing that really stands apart from Skyrim from Oblivion and Morrowind is that the combat is much improved. I think everyone remembers the first time a dragon came down in the game and you had to take them out. I mean I remember the first time I pulled up on my horse and was approaching White Run and just stopped to look at the landscape and the water flowing down the stream. You can play this game for hours and hours and never get bored.  Honestly one of the best video games I've ever played in my life. 

• Like 1

#4 - Final Fantasy VII

Final_Fantasy_VII_-_1997_-_Sony_Computer 

Played On: Playstation, Xbox One

IMO this is the greatest RPG ever made. I stand by my statement that X's overall story is a little better, but everything else about this game is superior. All of the characters are great (well maybe not Cait Sith) and has probably one of the most famous protagonists in gaming history (Cloud) and one of the most famous villains in gaming history (Sephiroth). There's a shocking death mid game, and there are some really memorable boss fights. The soundtrack in this game is also top notch. I also really enjoy the materia system for magic in this game, it was a really clever way to incorporate magic that fit into the story and you could mix/match them in awesome ways. The chocobo breeding and racing is a great in game mini game (which actually pays real dividends!). The airships had been in earlier final fantasy games but this time you could actually fly it around a big open world. The game has a linear story line but there is plenty of room to zig and zag to side stuff if you want. 

I remember the first time I ever saw this game, my buddy in high school's father had gotten it for their PC and they were playing it together. I had actually never played a FF game up to that point so it immediately caught my attention. I don't think I actually played the game for myself until I was a Freshman in college and played it on my roommates Playstation (I never owned a PS1, although I was able to continue playing this game on my PS2 as it was backwards compatible). I have since played it literally hundreds of hours. One of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.  Unfortunately I have not had a chance to play the new remake of the game (I don't own a PS4). I will never get tired of playing this game. 

7 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

OH MY GOD HOW DID I FORGET XCOM2?!? Definitely in my Top 10 most played all time. So addicting/frustrating. War of the Chosen just makes it worse. 

Ya actually no one had mentioned that one, Baldurs gate 2, or my #1 overall game at all in this thread. 

22 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

PC - 4 games (XCOM, Baulder's Gate, Starcraft, ?)

Xbox 360 - 2 games (SKYRIM & ME2)

PS1 - 1 game

Gamecube - 1 game

Xbox - 1 game (KOTOR)

Xbox One - 1 game

Man, PS1, XB1, Gamecube, PC to go. 

Had some decent guessing. A Gamecube Top 4 game? No idea, at all. I'll stick with Metroid Prime, but maybe Melee?

XBox One ... I'll stick with RDR2.

PS One... oooh boy. Metal Gear Solid. 

PC - Age of Empires.