MKnight82's Top 50 Video Games of All Time - Full List Up

We share a lot of gaming-style interest. My prediction is we see:

KOTOR

Some combo of Secrets of Mana + Chrono Trigger + Super Mario RPG + Final Fantasy and that one other game on SNES that was an RPG with your dog.

Dune or other RTS like Star Craft.

Perhaps some of the "tactics" games.

Hopefully classics like Link to the past, Mega Man X, Mario Cart, Sonic, etc

Curious on some of your more obscure games and if I will have played them. 

#37 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

56747-the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-tim

Played On: N64

When I played Ocarina of Time there was no doubt about it, this was the greatest game I had ever played in my life. This game came out in November of 1998, and my birthday is in November.  I remember my mom bought me this game for my birthday and let me skip school to stay home and play it all day. There were open world RPGs on SNES and PC before this game, but none of them had been rendered into 3D before. This game was a gamechanger (literally). Sidequests, villages with NPCs walking around, riding a horse, aiming with a bow and arrow, jumping and dodging in combat, none of this had been seen in 3D before! Its incredibly impressive that not only did they pioneer the mechanics of 3D conversion in this game but the story is also great, and they added some awesome stuff to the world like playing songs on the ocarina which has carried forward in the Zelda series since. 

So why isn't this game still #1?  Why isn't it in the top 10?  Blame Nintendo. I tried playing this a year or two ago on an original N64 and it just doesn't hold up. The N64 might have one of the worst controllers of all time and the graphics were just so dated I couldn't keep interest. This game needs a HD remake in the worst way (and don't quote that 3DS port crap). Nintendo has really screwed up by letting this sit not updated for so long because it used to be on All Time game lists in the top 5 by practically everyone.  Now its an afterthought. NINTENDO PUT A FREAKING HD REMAKE OF THIS GAME ON SWITCH ALREADY. 

16 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

We share a lot of gaming-style interest. My prediction is we see:

KOTOR

Some combo of Secrets of Mana + Chrono Trigger + Super Mario RPG + Final Fantasy and that one other game on SNES that was an RPG with your dog.

Dune or other RTS like Star Craft.

Perhaps some of the "tactics" games.

Hopefully classics like Link to the past, Mega Man X, Mario Cart, Sonic, etc

Curious on some of your more obscure games and if I will have played them. 

Good guesses.  Some you may see, some you may not.

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Now its an afterthought. NINTENDO PUT A FREAKING HD REMAKE OF THIS GAME ON SWITCH ALREADY. 

I think theyve tried to reinvent this game in most of their newer editions. Oddly enough, Ocarina of time is where my Zelda interest started dying. Dont know why, I just could never get in to it. I did like the 3ds Zelda though... 

Good guesses.  Some you may see, some you may not.

Whats your timeline for finishing this? 

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

I think theyve tried to reinvent this game in most of their newer editions. Oddly enough, Ocarina of time is where my Zelda interest started dying. Dont know why, I just could never get in to it. I did like the 3ds Zelda though... 

Whats your timeline for finishing this? 

Maybe 10 per day?

edit - I already have the list made just have to do the write-ups

Edited by MKnight82

I'll be interested to see if you just put Mass Effect 2, or if you count the series/remastered as one.

As much as you've played franchises in sports, Madden or 2K or something should make the list somewhere.

As @Matts4313said, some good guesses, but I don't remember you being much of a Final Fantasy guy. Could be wrong.

I'll say Age of Empires makes it as well. Grand Theft Auto - either San Andreas or V, Diablo II or 3 definitely.

-----------------------------

Good list so far too. Personally, THPS2 is better than 3 for me. And Halo 2 is above Reach, although I did like Reach a lot.

I've never heard of They Are Billions. I will have to check it out.

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'll be interested to see if you just put Mass Effect 2, or if you count the series/remastered as one.

As much as you've played franchises in sports, Madden or 2K or something should make the list somewhere.

As @Matts4313said, some good guesses, but I don't remember you being much of a Final Fantasy guy. Could be wrong.

I'll say Age of Empires makes it as well. Grand Theft Auto - either San Andreas or V, Diablo II or 3 definitely.

Good list so far too. Personally, THPS2 is better than 3 for me. And Halo 2 is above Reach, although I did like Reach a lot.

Halo 2 is probably the most multiplayer I played in a Halo game, I just thought the main story for Reach was better.  Was never really a Halo multiplayer guy. 

As far as OG vs remasters, I'm kind of just lumping them together and not choosing between them. A lot of older games benefit from having a remaster though.

They are billions is excellent would highly recommend. 

• Like 1

#36 - Katamari Damacy

57078_front.jpg 

Played On: Playstation 2, Switch

Ever play a game that's like nothing else you've ever played before?  That's Katamari Damacy. I discovered this game when they installed it on a presentation PS at Circuit City when I worked there selling TVs (Freshman in college).  Me and the other salesmen couldn't figure out what the hell it was at first.  Then I got hooked. The gameplay is like no other game, the setting is quirky and bizarre, and the soundtrack is catchy as hell. This is another game where you can sit around with your friends, drink some beers and pass around the controller for hours. This game still holds up as I recently acquired it for my Switch and still play it. 

Describing the game to someone who hasn't played it is difficult, so here's the synopsis of the game from wikipedia: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katamari_Damacy 

"In a drunken stupor, an eccentric, god-like entity called the King of All Cosmos destroys all the stars, Earth's Moon and other such celestial bodies in the universe, save for Earth itself. Despite acknowledging his mistake, the King charges his 5-centimeter-tall son, the Prince, to go to Earth with a "katamari"—a magical ball that allows anything smaller than it to stick to it and make it grow—and collect enough material for him to recreate the stars and the Moon. The Prince is successful, and the universe is returned to normal.[1]

A side-story follows the Hoshino family as the Prince works at his tasks. The father, an astronaut, is unable to go to the moon after it is wiped out by the King, and the daughter, whose name is Michiru, "senses" the Prince's work—she can feel when each constellation returns to the sky. Ultimately, the family, along with their house and town, are rolled up in the katamari that is used to remake the moon.[2]"

Ya, that old story.  

Edited by MKnight82

17 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

If he was going with legendary editions (Mass Effect) then he should have went with Halo Remastered, imo.

AOE was a solid nomination. Which obviously means we should wager one of the Civ games as well. 

For sports games I, personally, would go with some of the more "extreme" versions, as Madden and the like have sucked for a while and have little replay value. NFL Blitz, NBA Street, The Biggs, etc were all amazing. No clue if they held up over time though. 

Edited by Matts4313

#35 - State of Decay

91tw4SPjo2L.jpg 

Played On: Xbox 360, Xbox One

Really cool game that imo is the first great open world, rpg, zombie survival game. It has lot of elements, including zombie combat, but also base building, crafting, level/skill progression, and more. Its cool too that the game has a bunch of NPCs with different traits, but none of them are really the "main character", and any of your people can die at any time but the story continues. The main story is OK, but this game really shines in the sandbox mode call "Breakdown", where you are tasked with repairing a broken down RV before attempting to flee the town (which ultimately leads to the RV breaking down again, and the town advancing to a harder level). I think the original is better than SOD2, which is a lot of the same from the first game but the first one had a better map than any of the ones in 2. One really cool thing is how they incorporated stealth in the game, and the zombies are really drawn by sound. The roaming hordes through the streets is a nice touch too. 

In the main story mode you can choose from a list of NPCs to start with (you unlock more as you go along, I think the list eventually gets as large as 50 NPCs) and are stuck in a small town called Trumbull Valley. A zombie apocalypse breaks out and you need to escape from the town. The setting is your typical zombie trope, small southern town, and the soundtrack is excellent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Following

Is there a way for me in the OP to link the game to where I have the write-up, but it just lists the name of the game and not one of those big links? What I mean is I'd like it to just say this: 

State of Decay

And you click that.  Instead of this: 

#34 - LA Noire

rihwhsbtjdu61.jpg 

Played On: Xbox 360, Xbox One

Ever wanted to be a detective? Ever wanted to stare at people's bizarre facial expressions and guess whether they're lying or not?  Well I've got a game for you! Set in Los Angeles in the late 1940s, LA Noire does a great job with its characters and voice acting. Utilizing facial recognition software that was revolutionary at the time, the game cast real actors to portray its different NPCs as you try to figure out who done it. I played this when it first came out and recently got the HD remake which reminded of how strong of a game this is. The world is large but can feel kind of empty (this is early when they didn't have the power to have a lot of things happening in these big open worlds) and the combat is pretty shallow, but the story and acting is top notch. You feel like you're playing a movie with a high production value. 

If you haven't played the game, you play as detective Cole Phelps, a WW2 vet who returns to LA and becomes a police officer. As you move through the ranks at the station, some of the most notorious crimes and murders in history happen and you are tasked with solving them. 

• Like 1

#33 - Diablo 3

diablo-3-cena-prodaja-srbija.jpg 

Played On: PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One

When this game originally came out it never would have been on this list. It didn't offer much new compared to its predecessors other than new loot, and generally felt more cartoonish than its prior installations as well. I also had a friend tell me the story was complete crap and not worth playing (my rebuttal to that is that the story in all diablo games is crap, its the gameplay that makes it great). Blizzard has done A LOT of modifications to this game since launch. They eliminated the real money auction house (which was very controversial, and just an obvious money grab by the developer), added a great expansion in Reaper of Souls, added new games modes like the bounty system, and a non-story mode where you can basically sandbox and do whatever you want. One of the biggest gripes with Diablo games too is that there is a lack of end game content, which they've somewhat fixed by making the ladder seasons shorter, so you're always grinding in the early-mid game. All of these improvements have rounded it out to a very strong and likeable game. 

The sheer amount of hours I've spent on this game must be respected. This game game out all the way back in 2012 and I can honestly say I've played it every year since its been released. I've owned it for PC, Xbox 360 and Xbox One (I may own it for Switch too?). But I acknowledge if I do this list 10 years from now, and Diablo 4 comes out with a better version of what 3 provides, this game will likely eventually drop from this list. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Is there a way for me in the OP to link the game to where I have the write-up, but it just lists the name of the game and not one of those big links? What I mean is I'd like it to just say this: 

State of Decay

And you click that.  Instead of this: 

State of Decay

(testing right now to see what works)