MKnight82's Top 50 Video Games of All Time - Full List Up

9 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

That’s because you’re young

I better see some Socom and Kingdom Hearts on this list somewhere :)

Side note: I was thinking of getting that Long Dark Survival game a few months back and now I think I will

Edited by AkronsWitness

#20 - Madden Series

ef303b48-c144-4ace-89b3-00ef213a4fc9.jpg

Played On: Gamecube, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One

Similar to NBA 2k, I think its impossible to nail down a single Madden game so I'm just going with the whole series. I think we can all agree franchise mode used to be better than the modern version, probably peaking when I played it on original Xbox, which I think the last year was either 07 (Shaun Alexander cover) or 08 (Vince Young cover). However, the modern gameplay within the actual games is far superior imo.  I've tried to go back and play older madden games and the game mechanics are rough.  Also, and this has nothing to do directly with Madden, but before the NFL instituted the rookie salary scale building a team through the draft wasn't nearly as fun because it completely consumed your cap space. I have spent a lot of time in Madden franchise mode, you can see the evidence on this forum.  I don't think I need to go deeper here I think everyone on this forum as played Madden.  

• Like 1

#19 - The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind 

the_elder_scrolls_iii_morrowind_frontcov

Played On: Xbox, PC

I know a lot of people played this on PC, and eventually I did too later but originally I played it on Xbox. Also I know a lot of people who went back and played this after playing either Oblivion or Skyrim but I played this back when it first came out so I was in awe when first playing it. The depth and thought that went into this game is enormous. Huge world with a ton of NPCs, hundreds of quests, tons of gear. You can customize spells at an in depth level that isn't available in later games. There's a mystical element in this game that is missing from the later games too, as there are literal god like beings in Morrowind that you can interact with and even battle. Also I feel like they did the best job with making different locations in this map feel different versus the other Elder Scroll games. I've spent countless hours playing this game, replayed it multiple times and it still holds up, especially if you play a modded version on PC. This game would be higher on the list of the controls were tighter and if combat was better. That's the only thing holding it back from being in the Top 10. 

If you've never played the game, it takes place on the island of Vvardenfell, which is the home of the Dark Elves and one of the main provinces of the world of Tamriel (which is where all Elder Scrolls games take place). You play as a prisoner sent to the island, who is released without explanation and sent on your way. Along the way you learn about the legend of the Nevarine, who is said to be the one who will bring an end to the evil Dagoth Ur.  

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 2

#18 - Fallout 3

51YLGwmHSoL._SY445_.jpg

Played On: Xbox 360

There are certain games that when they come out they force you to upgrade to a next gen console, and this game was why I bought an Xbox 360. I was a huge fan of Fallouts 1 & 2 on PC, so when I found out Bethesda was going to make a fallout game I was pumped. I've tried not to tip my hand about what other games may or may not be coming up on the list, but its getting hard at this point to not point out certain things.  So spoiler alert, this is the greatest Fallout game of all time. Amazing setting, walking through the ruins of iconic places like the Washington Monument, and the mall area just will always stick in my mind. I still remember the first time a super mutant came at me with a minigun spitting bullets. The innovative VATS combat system, the great story (they got Liam freaking Neeson to voice your father, I mean come on), some iconic quests, they all make this game one of the best experiences in gaming ever. War never changes.

#17 - The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

a-link-to-the-past-4.jpg

Played On: SNES, Switch

I replayed this recently and can confirm that this is the greatest Zelda game of all time. For a game with somewhat simple controls, it can get challenging at times with some difficult boss fights. This game came out in the pre internet era, so you couldn't just go google where to go next. There were some magazines at the time that had some hints but really you just had to explore every inch of the map to see what you could find, and talk to your friends on the playground about what they had found. With that being said, I spent countless hours of my childhood playing this game. The game introduced us to some new stuff we hadn't seen in a Zelda game yet, there was a town with NPCs we could talk to. The dark world was introduced. It also merged concepts from 1 & 2, taking the overhead isometric gameplay of 1 but adding in magic spells from 2. The Master Sword may have been mentioned in 1?  But it definitely plays a bigger role here, which would be something that carried forward into later games. 

Why isn't this in the Top 10?  Zelda games just don't hold my interest the same way as an adult. Replaying it now is fun for a bit for the nostalgia, but ultimately there are more interesting gaming experiences now. 

#16 - NCAA Football 14

2396891_ncaafootball14.jpeg

Played On: Xbox 360

This is the greatest sports video game of all time.  Period. No other game can you give the experience you get from this game.  Take a 1 star program and build it up into a powerhouse. You can even create your own team and import them into the game (I've imported a VCU Rams team many times). Recruiting is addictive and fun. The gameplay on the field is well balanced, with both passing and running being effective. Blocking actually works! 

Some of my best gaming memories come from online dynasty modes in this game. We had an online league here on the forum (the old forum) with like 8 users where I think we made it through 3 full seasons recruiting and playing all of the games. Super fun, mad trash talking, epic back and forth user games, and sniping recruits from each other.  There's no other sports game that can come close to the experience this game provides. Here's hoping that we get a new version soon (and that EA doesn't screw it up). 

• Like 2

#15 - Final Fantasy X

f08b1048f743f5b8e03b65aca1c4f029.png_720

Played On: Playstation 2, Xbox One

I played this originally on PS2 but downloaded the HD remake on Xbox One. This game came out right when I was starting Freshman year of college and was another one I would play with my roommates at the time. It has one of the best stories in gaming history, and might be the best story in the history of Final Fantasy games as well. I downloaded the HD remake right when my son was born. My wife and I were so tired those first few weeks, she would just sit there next to me while I was playing this game holding my son and she really got into the story lol. All of the characters are memorable and the game might have one of the best soundtracks in gaming history. I've played this game through so many times I can't count. Oh and blitzball?  Might be one of the best in game mini games ever.  Recruiting players for your team and progressing through the league is like a game within a game.  

So then why isn't it in the Top 10?  That is hard to explain. I have nothing negative to say about this game, just that the games coming up are slightly better. 

In the game you play as Tidus, a sports start from the futuristic city called Zanarkand. During a match of Blitzball, the city is attacked by a giant creature called Sin. You are seemingly transported to the future where Sin has destroyed all major cities and people live a simpler life without electronics. You go on a quest to defeat Sin and search for your long lost father who's been missing since you were a child. 

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

#15 - Final Fantasy X

I played this originally on PS2 but downloaded the HD remake on Xbox One. This game came out right when I was starting Freshman year of college and was another one I would play with my roommates at the time. It has one of the best stories in gaming history, and might be the best story in the history of Final Fantasy games as well.

Interesting. I LOVE the FF series, and X is probably my favorite outside of VII, but I don't think/know that the story itself is that high for me. It's behind VI, IV and maybe VII for me. 

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Oh and blitzball?  Might be one of the best in game mini games ever.  Recruiting players for your team and progressing through the league is like a game within a game.  

I wish they would have brought this back in another FF.

• Like 1