MKnight82's Top 50 Video Games of All Time - Full List Up

#14 - Super Mario Kart

NINTENDO-SUPER-MARIO-KART-COVER-PICTURE-

Played On: SNES, Switch

I played an unhealthy amount of hours on this game as a kid lol. There are a lot of versions of Mario Kart, but in my opinion the original is the best. The gameplay was just tighter before it went to 3D imo. I recently played it at a neighbors house on the Switch's emulator, and I freaking destroyed him lol.  I still have practically every turn in the game memorized. Imagine if I could have used all those hours on something actually productive? Also I think I screwed up earlier saying that Gran Turismo is the greatest racing game of all time.  That for sure is the best racing simulator, but just straight racing this is the best racing game of all time. Also there was definitely some early multi-player stuff going on with this game, not to the extend that Goldenye became later but I definitely remember playing 2 player on this quite a bit, definitely in Battle Mode too.  I think Battle Mode was a bigger deal in this game than later versions, we would play Battle Mode a ton on SNES. This is one of the greatest games Nintendo ever made. 

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

It's behind VI, IV and maybe VII for me. 

No way.  I really don't get all the praise 6 gets btw. 

edit - I will say that I did not play 6 until I was older, and after I had played several of the other FF games.  I don't think 6 aged well personally.

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 1

#13 - Batman: Arkham City

35f876f261749b536facd146b5d50ff269a2baf0

Played On: Xbox 360, Xbox One

I loved all 3 of these games and any one of them could have ended up on this list. Ultimately I went with Arkham City because I feel like the original game was a little simple compared to the latter 2 games, and the batmobile stuff in the 3rd game kind of got tiresome. I also enjoyed Arkham Orgins which was made by another developer, but it wasn't quite up to the standard of the other 3 games. If you haven't played this game it takes place after the events of the first game, in which Arkham Asylum was damaged so they decide to segment off a piece of Gotham City and turn it into a prison.  They end up putting all of Batman's foes into this little slice of paradise and once things go awry Batman has to come in to save the day. If you're going to play this game for the first time I would recommend the HD remake. 

Really really cool game.  You get to feel like you're actually Batman. The combat is fluid and just gliding around the city is fun as hell. The story is solid with a rather shocking ending. Lots of side quests and little easter eggs thrown in as well. Its not all just punching and kicking too, there are lots of mysteries and puzzles to solve using "detective mode".  All around fantastic game with lots of replay value. 

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 2

I nailed a few of these upper end guesses, but I am disappointed a Link to the Past isnt top 10. Love that game. Also another minor disagreement - though I agree Super Mario Kart is one of the GOATs, I think Mario Kart 64 had the better battle system. 

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

I nailed a few of these upper end guesses, but I am disappointed a Link to the Past isnt top 10. Love that game. Also another minor disagreement - though I agree Super Mario Kart is one of the GOATs, I think Mario Kart 64 had the better battle system. 

Me and my friends were too busy playing Goldeneye to play mario kart on the 64. Idk what it was but the conversion to 3D for mario kart just didn't work for me.

#12 - Super Mario 64

Super_Mario_64_box_cover.jpg 

Played On: N64, Switch

This is the first video game I ever played in 3D. Nintendo could have really screwed up when converting to 3D, honestly the difficulty of completely re-designing the game mechanics of a massive franchise like Mario was a daunting task.  Instead they absolutely hit a homerun. Mario 64 is imo the best video game Nintendo has ever made. The level designs are top notch, with each of them feeling different and providing new challenges. Its really hard for me to describe to a younger gamer just how huge of a change playing this was after gaming in 2D your whole life up to that point. This was a groundbreaking game. 

I recently played this on the Mario All Stars compilation that came out for Switch, and this game still definitely holds up.  Very fun to play, still challenging and they tightened up the controls for better modern gameplay (that damn N64 controller ugh). 

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Me and my friends were too busy playing Goldeneye to play mario kart on the 64. Idk what it was but the conversion to 3D for mario kart just didn't work for me.

Golden Eye, Mortal Kombat, Mario Kart 64 and sports games (specifically NBA Jams) were the default couch coop. 

#11 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

TQKAd8U6hnIFQIIcz6qnFh8C.png

Played On: Xbox One

This game might have created the best "world" in video game history. There is so much story here, so many NPCs, so many items, so many quests, it can get overwhelming how large this game is. I was absolutely obsessed with this game when I played it. I couldn't put it down. The game is absolutely beautiful with a great soundtrack. You really feel immersed in the story and all of the quests. And don't get me started on Gwent, good god its addicting and one of the best in game mini games of all time. I have never played either of the previous games so I can't compare them to this, but I don't see how they could have been any better than this game.

In the game you play as Geralt of Rivia who is a Witcher, basically a monster slayer, and you're tracking a smoking hot sorceress named Yennefer. Along the way a group of baddies called the Wild Hunt try to kidnap the emperor's daughter named Ciri, who herself is quite the badass.  The story goes on from there.  

At its peak this is a Top 5 game. My issue is that I've only played this game all the way through once.  I've tried two separate times to play it again but its just too damn long. 

Edited by MKnight82

8 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Top 10 soon... man. Maybe Diablo II still. a GTA. Metroid?, maybe something like Tetris. Mass Effect (2) definitely. 

Another hint.  These are the consoles I first played the top 10 on:

PC - 4 games

Xbox 360 - 2 games

PS1 - 1 game

Gamecube - 1 game

Xbox - 1 game

Xbox One - 1 game

11 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Top 10 soon... man. Maybe Diablo II still. a GTA. Metroid?, maybe something like Tetris. Mass Effect (2) definitely. 

Still missing: 

Chrono Trigger

A fighting game (MK, Street Fighter, Dark Souls)

GTA or Red Dead - maybe both

He already said SMB64 was #1, so that leave out Mario 3.

My guess for @MKnight82's #1 overall is the orange box (Portal/Half Life/Team Fortress)

Edited by Matts4313