Robinson extension unlikely to get done

WindyCity

I'm not going to freak out but I will say I will be massively disappointed if ARob walks now that we will be able to drop Foles and Dalton's contracts next year. Fields is the future and needs support. It seems Pace has done a good job of adding OL talent now and WR depth but none of them come close to being a number one like ARob - at least not yet.

Keep him at least through Field's rookie deal.

• Like 2

Just thinking out loud, but how great would it be if Darnell Mooney ascended to being our true #1 and Cole Kmet ascends to being a top-tier NFL TE?

If you follow the KC model and how passing attempts are distributed, about 48% of all passes go to Travis Kelce or Tyreek Hill.

3 hours ago, G08 said:

Just thinking out loud, but how great would it be if Darnell Mooney ascended to being our true #1 and Cole Kmet ascends to being a top-tier NFL TE?

If you follow the KC model and how passing attempts are distributed, about 48% of all passes go to Travis Kelce or Tyreek Hill.

Very nice. 

Unlikely if we are playing the odds, but even 1/2 becoming a primary passing game contributor would be huge.

Edited by WindyCity

Finally back from my journey and about ready to "plug in" again as camp approaches.

With just 3-4 days left to agree to a new deal I would also say that it's very unlikely especially since all of the reports about it say there have been no meaningful discussions for quite awhile.  Since Pace has already indicated they would like to sign him and ARob has indicated a preference for remaining with Chicago it's tough to see any other blockade but $$$ and terms.

He's getting nearly $18 mil this year on his tag so a deal averaging that over 3-4 years wouldn't seem to be an issue for Pace.  So what are the possible hang ups? 

1) ARob is asking for more than $18 mil in average annual value.  At least $20 mil or more.

2) He wants a 4-5 year deal with more gtd $$$ than Pace is willing to offer.

Guaranteed dollars and length of the deal would seem to be at the root of their differences.  Anyone have a different thought?

• Like 3

Bottom line is Pace doesn’t like to overpay for WRs.  I think he will overpay for other positions, but not WR.  

He has a pretty good feel for market and feels Robinson is asking for more than market value.

I think Robinson is a great football player, but he is complimentary.  More a 1a than a 1 because he lacks high end explosive ability.

I think addition of Mooney gives him space he needs to shine if he had good QB play.  Too bad he may be gone by time Fields is hitting his stride.

I agree with Pace generally on this issue, but feel like you can overpay some for a key player when you are riding a rookie QB contract.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Bottom line is Pace doesn’t like to overpay for WRs.  I think he will overpay for other positions, but not WR.  

He has a pretty good feel for market and feels Robinson is asking for more than market value.

I think Robinson is a great football player, but he is complimentary.  More a 1a than a 1 because he lacks high end explosive ability.

I think addition of Mooney gives him space he needs to shine if he had good QB play.  Too bad he may be gone by time Fields is hitting his stride.

I agree with Pace generally on this issue, but feel like you can overpay some for a key player when you are riding a rookie QB contract.

I've begun to suspect this is what it comes down to.  ARob may well be the best "possession type receiver" in the NFL but he's not a major deep threat or a prolific scorer.  I'd still be in favor of a 4 year $70 mil deal with around $35 mil or so gtd which coming up from a 3 year $42 mil deal with $25 mil gtd should be a solid offer.  Do you think Pace may be offering even less or is ARob expecting far more?

A number of media types have begun to project WRs who Pace would replace ARob with in 2022 and while he may have a feel for MV Pace's "feel" for drafting or signing FA WRs has been sorely lacking so far.  Unless he believes he can get a guy like Davante Adams I'd prefer he stick with the "bird he has in hand" over trying to replace ARob in FA or the draft especially with Fields taking over at QB sooner than later.

5 minutes ago, G08 said:

You want your primary WR in this offense to have elite speed. Allen Robinson isn't that guy... not bagging on him whatsoever but he's more of a Dwayne Bowe than a Tyreek Hill.

At some point I hope Pace sees his strengths and weaknesses in the draft.

WRs Pace has Drafted- Round

White - 1

Braverman - 7

Miller - 2

Wims - 7

Ridley - 4

Mooney - 5

Newsome - 6

Obviously the signs look good for Mooney and Newsome is a total unknown, but that isn't a good list.  Wims and Braverman were swings and nothing more, at their draft slot I have no issue. White was raw to begin with before his injuries (I don't hold the injuries against Pace FWIW), Miller we traded up for and has been disappointing since his rookie year, Ridley has been a ghost that say behind Wims, etc. His FA pick ups at the spot haven't exactly been stellar either.

Maybe this is one time that Pace doesn't try to get cute or think he can just figure it out in one offseason. You have a rookie contract for your QB, a rookie franchise OT, rookie deal TE, rookie deal WR for the #2 spot... don't get cute and just take the guy that has produced with garbage QB talent. We know what we have for a floor, and its better than we will likely get for a ceiling in FA. I'd rather not make the Floyd for Quinn deal on offense.

Granted, Pace should know the players better than I ever will and has actual insight on contract terms, morale, etc. I'm just saying for Fields - the most important Bear in the franchise right now - we should keep talent around him. I don't want to see Jay with Hester and Bennett or Tru with Wright and Bellamy again. Support your QBs and let them grow, don't piss on your investment after you make the big downpayment for it.

If ARob and the Bears part ways here are five possible targets to replace him in 2022.

Chicago Bears: 5 discounted replacements for Allen Robinson in 2022

1) Michael Gallup/Dallas

2) D.J. Chark/Jacksonville

3) Will Fuller/Miami

4) Robby Anderson/Carolina

5) Mike Williams/LAC

If it is the speed thing, okay, but that means next offseason is going to be hyper focused on WRs.

Which means we need some CBs and Olmen to step up in 2021. We can’t address WR and those spots all at once.

Edited by WindyCity