Greg Clark, former 49ers TE dead at age 49!

17 hours ago, straighthate said:

Sad to see. Sounds like he had some CTE issues that led to his early passing based on his family’s statement. Can’t say I remember that far back if he had excessive concussion issues during his playing days. 

He may have had some concussions, but the reason he had to retire was chronic hamstrings. After more than 1 surgery failed to fix them, he retired after 4 seasons. 
He was part of the 3 pick draft of 1997. Jim Druckenmiller (QB) in the 1st, Greg Clark 2nd, Mark Edwards (FB) 3rd. They traded the rest away wheeling and dealing to get those 3 players. This was the 1st Draft I paid attention to...

Damn that's sad. I still remember him catching two touchdowns in the 49ers/Packers 1998 Wild Card since Owens kept dropping everything up to that point. He was picked in the third round, and I have to wonder if they were looking for a replacement for Brent Jones who had his last season in 1997. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

On 7/13/2021 at 11:59 PM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Damn that's sad. I still remember him catching two touchdowns in the 49ers/Packers 1998 Wild Card since Owens kept dropping everything up to that point. He was picked in the third round, and I have to wonder if they were looking for a replacement for Brent Jones who had his last season in 1997. 

Exactly! He had only 3 catches for about 20 or so yards, but 1 was a 1st down and the other 2 were TDs! A Packer DB called what he ran the "Oh sh!t route". Clark faked falling on a route only to pop up and grab the pass for a TD---twice! 

I feel for his wife and 3 sons.