What are the top 5 most important plays in your franchises history?

CP3MVP

6 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

3. Ray Lewis Pick Six in 2000 Divisional round-Feel this was our best team in franchise history. Such a huge play that halted back to back SB appearances.

I always felt the blocked FG returned for a TD was the most important play that game. That swung the game from 13-10 Titans to 17-10 Ravens. Once the Ravens had a 17-10 lead in the 4th, the game was over. The Ray Lewis INT was icing on the cake. 

• Like 1

Ok for Ravens I'll go with

1. Flacco TD pass to Jacoby Jones ("mile high miracle") vs Denver in AFC divisional game in 2012 season. 

2. Blocked-FG run back for a TD vs Titans in AFC divisional game in 2000 season.

3. Shannon Sharpe 96-yard TD reception vs Oakland in AFC championship game in 2000 season. 

4. Lamar Jackson 46-yard TD pass to Brown vs Browns on MNF in 2020 season.

5. Bernard Pollard forced fumble vs Stevan Ridley in AFC championship game vs Pats in 2012 season. 

As a bonus, Jimmy Smith's pass defense vs Crabtree to win the Super Bowl vs the 49ers was obviously important, but isn't a particularly great or memorable play.  

1. Butler interception

2. Hightower forced fumble against Matt Ryan

3. SB 51 coin toss

4. Vinatieri kick against OAK

5. Gronkowski converting on a 3rd and 10 on an overhead pass at the side against KC in the 4th quarter, AFCCG 2018.

This should be quick...

1. JJ Watt Pick 6 vs the Bengals, 2011 playoffs.

2. Deshaun Watson 34 yard completion to Taiwan Jones vs Buffalo.

3. TJ Yates to Andre Johnson 41 yard TD.

4. JJ Watt Pick 6 vs Buffalo.

5. Andre Johnson vs Cortland Innegan...

It's hard for me not to just pick 5 plays from the '19 superbowl run. Assuming we mean the most important plays from a positive perspective. If we went the other direction, I could just as easily come up with the 5 most negatively important plays from '93 - '18. But that would be sad.

If I had to try, I think I'd have something like:

1. Wasp, no question. Turning point in the superbowl, a play I've watched a million times by now, and will forever be a hugely iconic moment in Chiefs history and Mahomes's career.

2. Len Dawson's 46 yard TD to Otis Taylor back in superbowl IV. More or less iced the game against Minnesota, right when it looked like the Vikings finally had some momentum going on offense.

3. Damien Williams's 5 yard TD catch from Mahomes. I feel like the play that got the most fanfare for Williams was his TD run to end it, but really that should've been a kneeldown after the first down and the game was over. This was the much bigger play, and it was just a fantastic effort by Williams to get across the line. On 3rd down, as well, so this was the difference between a 24-20 lead and a 20-20 assuming the FG went.

4. Mahomes's 27 yard TD run against the Titans in the AFC Championship game. I wavered between this and the TD to Watkins to ice it, but this was kind of the wasp moment in the Championship Game. Tennessee was ahead and honestly playing very well, and this play just felt like a switch. First lead we held in the game, and never gave it back.

5. Daniel Sorensen's tackle on the fake punt against Houston in the divisional round. I was at this game, and this was 100% the moment it felt winnable, again. To this day, one of the worst play calls I have seen in my entire life. But a fantastic play by Dan to read it and make the solo tackle and turn a little bit of momentum into a tidal wave of it.

A few honorable mentions that come to mind. The run of interceptions to end Superbowl IV, by a trio of hall of famers in Lanier, Thomas, and Robinson. The fumble forced on the kickoff against Houston by a combo of Sorensen and Sherman, and recovered by Thompson. The Watkins TD against Tennessee. The run by Williams to ice the superbowl against San Fran. The Frank Clark sacks to ice the 2019 playoff wins. Sammy's catch over Richard Sherman (thanks onejayhawk for that call out.) The 13 yard scramble and the 4th down conversion by Chad Henne against Cleveland (100% skyrockets up the list if we had beaten Tampa.) The Knile Davis kickoff return in 2015 to start the game that ended the playoff drought. And I'm sure there were others that were just before my time and not iconic enough for me to think of them now. I'm kind of discounting any plays in losses, also.

I will give a shoutout to the Dee Ford offsides, though. That's one of those plays that just had cascades of effects all over. Part of me feels had that not happened, we win that game, and regardless of the superbowl result, we may have been less aggressive that offseason. Maybe we keep Bob Sutton, don't wind up with Spags, end up keeping guys like Ford, Houston, and Bailey, instead of adding Clark and Mathieu, and who knows where we sit from all that.

Oh, and not by the Chiefs themselves, but the Ryan Fitzpatrick TD pass to Mike Gesicki in week 17 of 2019. That TD won the game for a 5-11 Miami team with nothing to play for, and gave us a first round bye as a result. Completely changed that postseason run.

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

5. Daniel Sorensen's tackle on the fake punt against Houston in the divisional round. I was at this game, and this was 100% the moment it felt winnable, again. To this day, one of the worst play calls I have seen in my entire life. But a fantastic play by Dan to read it and make the solo tackle and turn a little bit of momentum into a tidal wave of it.

It's very safe to say this one play is what led to the collapse of the Texans - not just the game, but the entire franchise. The Texans have completely imploded since this one play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

It's very safe to say this one play is what led to the collapse of the Texans - not just the game, but the entire franchise. The Texans have completely imploded since this one play.

I spent so much of that game telling my girlfriend that BOB got himself fired that day, that that is the exact kind of coaching performance that ends a man's career, and I remain in disbelief that anyone let that man run an NFL franchise for another 10 months after that day.

That will always be one of the best days of my life as a Chiefs fan, but there's always an other side to that, and it felt so abundantly obvious to me while it was happening, what needed to happen in response to that. You get that man as far from that roster as fast as possible, after that. Charter him his own private plane and fly him in the opposite direction of everyone else. The fact that they didn't act accordingly just dragged the collapse out so much.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

You cannot talk WASP and not give a nod to Sammy toasting Richard Sherman on the next series and the, "gnat's *** stretch over a rain barrel" TD four plays later. Still, WASP was a difference maker. 

J

Wasn't that the Damien Williams TD I had #3?

Honestly, though, that postseason run just had so many really iconic plays, like that. I could do like a top 10 plays of just the 2019 postseason, for us. All of like the highlight videos and compilations were so satisfying. But I'm also absurdly biased lol.

2 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Wasn't that the Damien Williams TD I had #3?

Honestly, though, that postseason run just had so many really iconic plays, like that. I could do like a top 10 plays of just the 2019 postseason, for us. All of like the highlight videos and compilations were so satisfying. But I'm also absurdly biased lol.

I guess it was. The 37 yard sideline pass to Sammy setting it up was huge, too. That's what took it from Tie-it Up to Let's-take-the-lead. It's weird that William's game sealing TD is almost and afterthought.

If you think about the previous year, the offside penalty is just as iconic, but in a negative vein.

J

Broncos

1. 1973 Week 14 against the Raiders: In the fourth quarter, the Broncos were trailing 14-10, and had the ball on their own 49. They tried a fake punt with RB Joe Dawkins, and he was stuffed for a loss. If that fake punt is successful, and Denver pulls that game out, they go on to win the AFC West, and have a good chance to get to the AFC Title Game in Miami (they would have had the Steelers at their place a week later. Pittsburgh got blown out at Oakland in the playoffs. They were still one draft away). A surprise run to the AFC Title Game (I don't see them winning in Miami) may have ended up changing Bronco history over the next several years.

2. 1977 AFC Title Game: Haven Moses' long TD catch in the first half. That put Denver up 7-3, and it gave them the momentum they needed to beat the Raiders and go to their first SB (I know that the Lytle fumble helped as well, but there was no guarantee that the Raiders win even if they get that fumble).

3. The Drive: That solidified Elway as a big-game QB.

4. The Helicopter play in SB 32: That showed that Elway and the Broncos were going all-out to win their first title, and they did.

5. Punt, Shanny, Punt!: In Week 16 of the 2008 season, the Broncos had a 13-3 lead on the Bills, and had the ball on their own 37 (with 2:00 left in the half). Instead of punting, Mike Shanahan tried a 54-yard FG on a cold day with a slumping first-year kicker in Matt Prater. He missed it, and the Bills went down and scored, cutting the lead to three before halftime.

That play has affected Bronco history over the last 13 years. If Shanny punts, and they pin them, the Bills probably don't score, and maybe Denver gets the ball back with enough time to go right down and get a FG (or maybe a TD. They had an explosive passing attack that year). If the Broncos win that game, they win the West, and Shanahan's job would have been safe. Also, Jeremy Bates probably stays around and tutors Cutler, who doesn't go to the Bears.

I'm still learning my Giants history, so I'll stick to plays from the last 40 years or so.

1. The Helmet Catch: helped us win a Super Bowl.

2. The Sideline Catch: helped us win another Super Bowl.

3. Leonard Marshall's sack of Joe Montana in the 1990-91 NFCCG: a critical point in a classic game, and Montana's last performance for the Niners.

4. Lawrence Taylor sacking Gary Danielson with one hand. Lots of incredible LT plays to choose from, but I think that epitomized what he was capable of.

5. Jason Sehorn's circus interception in the 2000-01 playoffs.