What are the top 5 most important plays in your franchises history?

CP3MVP

51 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

I'm still learning my Giants history, so I'll stick to plays from the last 40 years or so.

1. The Helmet Catch: helped us win a Super Bowl.

2. The Sideline Catch: helped us win another Super Bowl.

3. Leonard Marshall's sack of Joe Montana in the 1990-91 NFCCG: a critical point in a classic game, and Montana's last performance for the Niners.

4. Lawrence Taylor sacking Gary Danielson with one hand. Lots of incredible LT plays to choose from, but I think that epitomized what he was capable of.

5. Jason Sehorn's circus interception in the 2000-01 playoffs.

You forgot the Miracle of the Meadowlands in 1978. That put the Giants on the track that they are on today.

On 7/12/2021 at 10:54 PM, stl4life07 said:

Rams

1 Mike Jones tackle at the 1yd line against the Titans that sealed the Rams Superbowl win in the 1999-2000 season.

2 Greg Zuerlein kick in OT to beat the Saints to send the Rams to the Superbowl in the 2018-2019 season.

3 Greg Zuerlein kick in regulation against the Saints to send the game into OT in the NFCCG in the 2018-2019 season.

4 John Johnson III interception in OT again the Saints in the NFCCG in the 2018-2019 season.

5 Kurt Warner to Ricky Proehl td connection in a defensive struggle against the Bucs in the NFCCG in the 1999-2000 season that help make the difference in the Rams winning that game and going to the Superbowl. 

HM:

Jared Goff escaping a potential sack by Cam Jordan in OT to hit Higbee for a big gain that help set up Zeurlein for the game-winning kick. 

Jared Goff hitting Everett for a big gain on the Rams last drive in the 4th that help set up Zuerlein for the game-tying kick that sent the game into OT.

You lose your fan card for leaving off arguably the biggest clutch play in Super Bowl history. Enough casuals and even talking heads seem to forget about it, can't have our fans do so too. To my knowledge it's the only long TD to take the lead that late in Super Bowl history - whatever ambiguous qualifiers we want to attach, it's the only if it's kind.

My list would be:

1. Ike Bruce TD to take the lead in Super Bowl 34

2. Proehls catch against the Bucs

3. Dickersons run to get 2105

4. The tackle - destiny thing to me here - we were always going to win that Super Bowl, even if the tackle isn't made and game went to OT.

5. Flipper running straight into the tunnel after a GW TD catch to beat the Giants in a playoff game

HM: Flippers catch to get 336 in a game

13 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

You lose your fan card for leaving off arguably the biggest clutch play in Super Bowl history. Enough casuals and even talking heads seem to forget about it, can't have our fans do so too. To my knowledge it's the only long TD to take the lead that late in Super Bowl history - whatever ambiguous qualifiers we want to attach, it's the only if it's kind.

My list would be:

1. Ike Bruce TD to take the lead in Super Bowl 34

2. Proehls catch against the Bucs

3. Dickersons run to get 2105

4. The tackle - destiny thing to me here - we were always going to win that Super Bowl, even if the tackle isn't made and game went to OT.

5. Flipper running straight into the tunnel after a GW TD catch to beat the Giants in a playoff game

HM: Flippers catch to get 336 in a game

You have been a longer Rams fan than I have. I would call myself truly a Rams fan starting in 2000. Before then I followed more NBA with Jordan and the Bulls and football was secondary. So my moments truly came in the last 20yrs. My personal true moments in history came in the 2018 season that I’ll cherish forever. I don’t regret not going to the Saints/Rams game for superstition reasons plus I know I would’ve been an even bigger mess at the game than I was at home when the game came down to two Zuerlein clutch kicks. Unfortunately the Rams didn’t finish that season off with a Superbowl but if they can win it this year in their own stadium then it would be full circle. 

Totally off the top of my head so I may be missing something.

Jermaine Lewis punt return touchdown in Super Bowl 35

Jamal Lewis rushing for 295 yards against the Browns

Ray Lewis pick 6 against Titans in Divisional round of 2000

4th Down stop on final drive against Niners in Super Bowl 47

Mile High Miracle Hail Mary in Denver in 2012 Divisional round.

My Dolphins list would be different than any other version but I'll stand by it and emphasize it:

1) Morrall to Warfield deep post pattern mid 4th quarter of opening playoff game vs Cleveland 1972. Minus that play Miami probably suffers ultra humiliating defeat as 13 point favorite after 14-0 season. Orange Bowl crowd was silent and stunned prior to play. Browns led 14-13 and were controlling game. But after that play the crowd and team erupted. Kiick scored game winner a few plays later, 20-14

2) Yepremian 51 yard field goal mid 4th quarter game three 1972 season at Minnesota. Let's face it, this franchise is elevated and tefloned via the Perfect Season. Without Garo's obscure kick...it never happens, dying quietly before anyone was contemplating it. Dolphins trailed 14-6 in an era without 2 point conversion. Vikings controlled game all day. 50+ field goals were very rare in that era, especially outdoors at Metropolitan Stadium. Nobody in my family gave Garo a prayer of making that kick. But when he did the surge of energy was obvious, including from the Dolphins sideline. Miami got the ball back and Griese hit Mandich for the game winner late, 16-14

3) Yepremian 37 yard field goal to win the Longest Game at Kansas City, Christmas Day 1971. Easily the most joyous game in franchise history, the day we felt we truly belonged and the nation would take notice. Miamians poured onto the streets and celebrated via honking horns and waving hankies, deep into Christmas night. 

4) Larry Seiple long run on improvised fake punt, 1972 AFC Championship Game at Pittsburgh. This is a famous play. Just like the week prior vs Cleveland, Earl Morrall was running on fumes. Miami would have lost the game if Shula had not pulled him for Griese at halftime. The Seiple play down 7-0 in the second quarter allowed the Dolphins to tie the game, before Shula made the yank

5) Kim Boklamper lazy interception effort vs. Joe Theismann, late third quarter 1982 season Super Bowl. The Redskins were the better team with the better quarterback but Miami had survived and was leading via two huge plays, a long Woodley touchdown pass and a Fulton Walker kickoff return. It seemed inevitable Washington would pull out the game unless Miami found another massive fluke play. And it was right there for defensive end Bokamper. He batted a Theismann swing pass deep in Redskins territory and it was right there for an interception and possible 24-13 lead that would totally change the game and force Washington to throw the ball. Pass defense was the Miami strength. Bokamper had no idea how to react and he passively waited for the ball while Theismann understood the need to seize the moment and bat it harmlessly away

I admittedly don’t know much of the Bills history before 1990 so my list is more modern than others might be.

1. Wide Right. Pretty self explanatory. Bills would have won their first Super Bowl and who knows what the rest of the decade would have looked like.

2. Music City Miracle. A play that will pit two cities against one another for eternity and spark controversy between Wade Phillips, Douge Flutie, Rob Johnson and the late Ralph Wilson.

3 Taron Johnson 101 yard Pick 6 against Baltimore in the 2020 Divisional round. Ties an NFL record and gave the Bills a 17-3 lead as opposed to Baltimore potentially tying the game.

4.  Josh Allen 4th down QB sneak vs Dallas on Thanksgiving 2019. Allen had fumbled the ball initially off the snap, but somehow found it in the pile of of bodies and charged forward for a first down. Bills scored a TD a few plays later. That play is the epitome of Josh Allen IMO and that game has been mentioned as Allen’s coming out party to the national stage.

5. Carlton Bailey pick 6 against Denver in 1991 Conference championship. What was expected to be a shootout between Jim Kelly and John Elway turned into a scoreless game 40 minutes. Then a tipped screen pass landed in the hands of Bailey who returned it for a TD and the Bills went on to win 10-7.

Honourable mentions:

Josh Allen hurdles Anthony Barr in his second career start.

LeSean McCoy OT touchdown in the snow against Indianapolis in 2017.

NT Sam Adams pick 6 against Tom Brady in 2003.

Fred Jackson catch and run against NE to set up a game winning field goal and end the losing streak in 2011.

On 7/12/2021 at 8:23 PM, Nabbs4u said:

My list

1. Philly Special SBLII

2. Zach Ertz TD SBLII

3. Brandon Graham strip FB SBLII

4. Chuck Bednarik hit on Frank Gifford

5. Miracle at the Meadowlands II

5. Miracle at the Meadowlands 

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/platform/amp/2019/10/5/20894841/eagles-history-greatest-plays-philadelphia-nick-foles-philly-special-super-bowl-brandon-graham

The only thing I'd change here is number 4: The 4th and goal stop against Atlanta (Mills vs Julio)

48 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

The only thing I'd change here is number 4: The 4th and goal stop against Atlanta (Mills vs Julio)

Yeah only reason Mine has the Bednarik hit is because it's one of those Iconic moments in sports that the NFL itself and most fans will instantly recognized. Much like both Miracles at the Meadowlands. You say the phrase and they're like, Yep I remember.......!

But yes, No SB Ring without the Julio stop. 🥃

2 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I admittedly don’t know much of the Bills history before 1990 so my list is more modern than others might be.

1. Wide Right. Pretty self explanatory. Bills would have won their first Super Bowl and who knows what the rest of the decade would have looked like.

2. Music City Miracle. A play that will pit two cities against one another for eternity and spark controversy between Wade Phillips, Douge Flutie, Rob Johnson and the late Ralph Wilson.

3 Taron Johnson 101 yard Pick 6 against Baltimore in the 2020 Divisional round. Ties an NFL record and gave the Bills a 17-3 lead as opposed to Baltimore potentially tying the game.

4.  Josh Allen 4th down QB sneak vs Dallas on Thanksgiving 2019. Allen had fumbled the ball initially off the snap, but somehow found it in the pile of of bodies and charged forward for a first down. Bills scored a TD a few plays later. That play is the epitome of Josh Allen IMO and that game has been mentioned as Allen’s coming out party to the national stage.

5. Carlton Bailey pick 6 against Denver in 1991 Conference championship. What was expected to be a shootout between Jim Kelly and John Elway turned into a scoreless game 40 minutes. Then a tipped screen pass landed in the hands of Bailey who returned it for a TD and the Bills went on to win 10-7.

Honourable mentions:

Fred Jackson catch and run against NE to set up a game winning field goal and end the losing streak in 2011.

What about the blocked FG against Denver in Week 4 of the 1990 season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw--wFNZDx8

The Bills were 2-1, but were headed towards certain defeat until this play happened. This comeback was the start of an important three game stretch that may have saved their season. In each game (Denver, Raiders, Jets), they came from behind in the fourth quarter. If they don't win this game, maybe they don't win the other two, either, and they start 2-4. That wouldn't have been good. The chemistry on that team wasn't the best. The year before, they were known as the Bickering Bills.

Speaking of 1989, what about Ronnie Harmon's drop in the end zone near the end of their playoff game with Cleveland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5tBYB88MPA

They win the game if he makes that catch, and they probably would have kept using the No-Huddle in Denver the next week (after their loss to Cleveland, Levy and Marchibroda talked about making that their offense in 1990). If they upset Denver because of it, they get a rematch with the 49ers.

Now, by that time, SF was playing really well (as we all know). However, the Bills did give them a game in December (Steve Young was at QB, but still) in Candlestick. They could have been up 10-0 in the second quarter, but there was a bad call on a fumble that should have been returned for a TD by Bruce Smith.

With that, and the no-huddle up their sleeve, I don't think we see anything like the 55-10 debacle, especially because the Bills matched up better with SF than they did the physical NFC East teams.

Edited by 7DnBrnc53

23 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

What about the blocked FG against Denver in Week 4 of the 1990 season:

I wasn’t alive then so until just now I didn’t know this game took place let alone the events that occurred.

I have some knowledge of the playoffs and obviously the SB but that’s about it until 1999.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 10:03 AM, Trentwannabe said:

Honourable mentions:

It's bad how many of ours are negative.

1. Wide Right is certainly the most iconic play, and the one people still identify with the team

2. Music City Miracle is the other fully heartbreaking play

3. May be cheating since the play itself wasn't iconic, but I'll say that first Reich TD pass in the comeback against the Oilers. I'll call that the "turning point" play in what is probably our most iconic win ever

4. Taron Johnson pick 6 in the playoffs to take us to the conference championship game

5. Cheating again, because this moment is more "iconic" than it is "important", but Don Beebe chasing down Leon Lett was another of the most iconic moments in the team's history. Completely unmeaningful based on game situation though

I'm hoping we can bump one or two of these off in the next couple of years as we hopefully have big time success and important moments. Maybe an Allen to Diggs game winner somewhere.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:
I wasn’t alive then so until just now I didn’t know this game took place let alone the events that occurred.

I have some knowledge of the playoffs and obviously the SB but that’s about it until 1999.

same boat, early 30s here