Who are some late round picks you had high hopes for? What happened to them?

Kiwibrown

My current crush is Donovan Peoples-Jones. I think he supplants obj. 

On the browns board we formed a small cult around udfa around Kai Naucua a couple of years ago. He is as much out of the league as he was never in it, despite a 4.44 speed he looked small and slow. 

Just limiting it to guys the Titans picked, last year it was Larrell Murchison from NC State.  I thought he'd come in right away as a depth contributor.  When I was scouting him, I remember him having an outstanding first step, but thought he was lacking in some other areas, and thought he was like a fourth rounder.  Getting him in the fifth was great, but then he had almost no snaps, and was beaten out by UDFA Teair Tart.

We'll see if he can start doing something this year.

Before that, I remember really liking the Corey Levin selection in 2017.  He was out of Chattanooga, so he was way under the radar, but I live pretty near there and had heard of him.  Had a good pro day workout, I think.  He got some playing time here and there and was a fan favorite as one of those guys that would turn into something, but it seemed like he didn't and was cut after a couple years.

He's with the Jets now.  Still young, so maybe he'll become someone who's worth keeping on a roster.

I really liked Braxton Berrios as a later rounder for the Pats. He got bounced as a part of a, what was thought of at the time, a deep receiving group. Showed a little ability last year on a sorry Jets team, but I think if he stayed in NE he could’ve carved a role. 

When GB got Colt Lyerla as a UDFA years ago, it was always going to be a bit of an all or nothing scenario and the risks were very evident, but we were really excited to have a potential TE to stretch the field after Jermichael Finley career ended early if Cotl could keep his head together and mature into an adult. He couldn't, and was a trainwreck. 

Looked him uo just now out of interest, and he's in his second prison stint in the last 4 years:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Lyerla

Lyerla was sentenced on November 19, 2019 to 27 months in the Oregon State Penitentiary after pleading guilty to charges of coercion, fourth-degree assault, unlawful possession of heroin and strangulation in Lane County Circuit Court.

I thought Bacarri Rambo was an absolute steal for Washington as a 6th rounder in 2013. He actually started off fine, but kinda bounced around and was out of the league after 2017. 

I also thought whomever got Tyrod Taylor (6th round, 2011) was going to get a great back up that could develop into a competent starter one day. I think I got that one. 

Definitely saw Roy Helu Jr. as the next great Washington RB. He lasted with the team for 4 seasons, mostly as a backup, before spending one with Oakland. Trivia: He holds the WFT record for receptions in a game - 14.

I was shocked when Scooby Wright went in the 7th round and thought whomever picked him up would have a solid LB for years. He bounced around 3 teams in the NFL and never amounted to anything. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I was shocked when Scooby Wright went in the 7th round and thought whomever picked him up would have a solid LB for years. He bounced around 3 teams in the NFL and never amounted to anything. 

As a Browns fan, I came in to post about him specifically. Same reaction here.

• Like 1

I remember WR Dorin Dickerson for the Texans - he was a physical specimen at 6' 2" 226lbs with a 43 vert and 4.4 speed - he'd end up doing absolutely nothing at the next level, literally didn't record a single snap. 

I have others, I'll be back today with more.

Couldn't believe Victor "Macho" Harris fell all the way to the 5th round, and even worse he went to the Eagles. He lasted 1 season there before getting cut (they had him starting at FS which I didn't understand tbh). Went to Washington and lasted another couple of games, before spending an offseason with the Steelers and then a couple seasons in the CFL. 

Deon Cain from Clemson. He had nice size 6’2 and speed. I bought into the hype train when he had a great training camp as a rookie. Unfortunately he tore his acl in a preseason game and eventually fell out the roster depth the next few years. It’s unfortunate thought he’d have potential to be a #2 or # 3 guy. He’s only 24 but he failed to crack the starting job for Colts, Steelers and now on the Ravens.

• Like 1

Bentley was the one guy I had hope in. And he has been meh, like a 5th round pick plays but he is still around. On the other hand the 2 6th round OL we picked last year I thought were terrible. Funny thing is they are the complete opposite. 

5 hours ago, Billy86 said:

When GB got Colt Lyerla as a UDFA years ago, it was always going to be a bit of an all or nothing scenario and the risks were very evident, but we were really excited to have a potential TE to stretch the field after Jermichael Finley career ended early if Cotl could keep his head together and mature into an adult. He couldn't, and was a trainwreck. 

Looked him uo just now out of interest, and he's in his second prison stint in the last 4 years:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Lyerla

Lyerla was sentenced on November 19, 2019 to 27 months in the Oregon State Penitentiary after pleading guilty to charges of coercion, fourth-degree assault, unlawful possession of heroin and strangulation in Lane County Circuit Court.

Yep, he was a major bust.

2014:
Colt Lyeria -- liked the hype I knew about of his talent and athletic gifts and the highlight videos. Taught me off the field stuff is real and made him not a real NFL prospect.
Telvin Smith - Very talented coverage linebacker, but retired and I think off the field stuff tainted him as well.

2015:
Jaelan Strong -- Liked him as a 4th or 5th round possession WR, but he went in the 3rd to the Texans and never really had the separation to make it. Kinda like fellow ASU WR NKeal Harry, but scaled down to being a mid-round version.
Owamagbe Odighizuwa -- Absolutely insane freak body build, I don't know if it's the injury history or just not adjusting to the pro game but he didn't work out.
Chris Conley - Really liked him out of Georgia and he has real speed a smart head on his shoulders and a kinda goofy personality. He's made it in the league as a 3-5th WR option.
Henry Anderson -- I thought he'd end up with one of the best careers from the class and in a few years out in redraft articles would be redrafted as a first rounder. He has had a couple nice years, but is basically good rotation and average starter in general.
Jamison Crowder --  Thought he was the ideal slot option and return man, If a team (I'm a Raiders fan and we needed an entire WR group, but addressed it super early in Cooper, I wanted La'el Collins at #4 (and every pick after until he went undrafted) and then Strong, Conley and Crowder for two outside and a slot guy to give us a diverse group.
Jamil Douglas -- I thought he was an athletic enough guard with enough strength to be a versatile enough guard to have some starter potential but enough depth and scheme versatility to make it for years. I think he's still around but hasn't been good when he gets on the field.
Josh Shaw -- USC, thought he was the man at safety for a discount for jumping off the roof. Hasn't been the man.
Max Valles -- He and thee other pass rusher from Virginia I thought at least one would make it, the other went to SF I think his name was Eli? Anyways Max Valles was the one that was super young and super athletic and I was betting he'd bend the edge well in the league and be a 5-10 sack rotational player. I think he made the Bills 53 man rosteer for a bit.
Darren Waller and DeAndre Smelter -- lumping them together because they were equals to me like Valles was to his teammate. GA Tech doesn't pass enough, but I thought the flashes of Smelter was insane and the GA Tech boys can block. I wanted one of them to finish out the WR rebuild for Oakland.
Martin Ifedi -- thought he'd be an ideal 3tech for a late investment. Bounced around a couple years then went to other leagues still plays, just not NFL.
Ifo Ekpre-Olomu -- thought teams were dumb not taking that gamble on his injury, Browns did in the 7th and the injury was serious.
La'el Collins -- Was my top player. Absolutely loved his character and talent. He went undrafted because his ex gf was murdered and then his agent bluffed if he wasn't an early pick he'd sit out until 2016. He's dealt with injuries but is a very good offensive lineman.

2016:
Miles Killebrew -- thought he'd be the type of LB/SS safety to make it in a 4-3 Under either playing as Kam Chancellor or Malcom Smith. Wasn't quite sure if he was more safety or LB, and that's basically his career but not as a starter.
Andrew Billings -- infinite strength as a NT. Thought for sure he'd pan out. I think injuries have sort of derailed him, but he's still around.
Blake Martinez -- I thought he was an ideal MLB as long as a team flanked him with guys solid in coverage. That's kinda the role he has succeeded in, but he doesn't get as many TFL as I had imagined in the run game.
Anthony Zettel -- his arms were too short, but the C/G the Broncos just drafted with his "Canada" video training out in the woods... same thing but the DT version. He made it as a rotational 3tech for a bit.
Scooby Wright -- didn't think he was as slow as he turned out to be. His college production was pretty nutty.

2017:
Chris Godwin -- Little Allen Robinson. Thought he was fantastic, he is.
James Conner -- Rooted for him as he overcame cancer and thought he'd be a nice power back, Steelers took him earlier than I imagined he'd go as a prospect and a RB at that, but he had a good year before injuries sapped him a bit.
Zach Banner -- Thought he'd be the man at RT in a power scheme, I think he started to start in Pitt but injuries got him.
Jake Butt -- I was sold and the Jim Harbaugh talking about him I thought he was the guy for sure. Didn't even research Kittle as another guy in range, thought Jake Butt was the man.
Desmond King -- Thought he'd be Malcolm Jenkins 2.0 with being a top tier CB with some speed concerns so they might transition him to safety. Kinda fits with how it's played out but he changes teams kinda an odd amount for how well I think he plays.
Jeremy McNichols -- I thought he was the sort of late round one cut guy with just enough talent to fly under the radar but go to a Kubiak like scheme and put out a 1000 yard season or two. I think he went to TB and did nothing instead.
Nathan Peterman -- hyppppe. I thought he had a nice delivery and had arm strength limitations but would be a good starter if he developed in a system to master first. Instead he played early with the Bills and threw meme worthy number of interceptions. I think he's doing good at mastering a system with Gruden and might show out this preseason.
Nathan Gerry -- Miles Killebrew 2.0, reroll on the same idea.
Caleb Brantley -- thought he was an ideal late round 3tech, better bang for your buck than Ifedi was but same concept. I think he's still in the league as a rotational 3tech, but has had injury issues.
Al Quadin Muhammad -- I wouldn't have landed him as I had him as priority UDFA but he was actually drafted in the 6th, I thought he needed a year or two on the PS but was a real edge threat with tools.
Elijah Lee -- Thought he was a late round version of Telvin Smith.

2018:
Tim Settle -- I thought he was a fantastic NT
Deshon Elliott -- I thought he was starting caliber as a safety.
JC Jackson -- I really liked him, but he was shot if I remember right and was scared he hung out with a rougher group

2019:
From 2019 on I have my mock expansion team so I can just list who I would have taken as I have it documented.
The St. Louis Music select Zach Allen, DE/DT Boston College with the 1st pick of the third round. (thought he was high 2nd talent as a 5 or 3 tech)
The St. Louis Music select Mack Wilson, LB Alabama  with the 1st pick of the fourth round. (thought he had what it took to develop into a WLB)
The St. Louis Music select Kelvin Harmon, WR NC State with the 1st pick of the fifth round. (thought he would be a good possession outside WR)
The St. Louis Music select Jaquan Johnson, S Miami with the 1st pick of the six round. (thought he had what it took to become a starter FS with a bit of development)
The St. Louis Music select Brett Rypien, QB Boise State with the 1st pick of the seventh round. (thought he'd be a good backup to develop in a system, but limited arm)
some UDFA I liked that year too include
Chase Hansen, LB Utah -- Miles Killebrew/Nathan Gerry type but this time free investment.
Elijah Holyfield, RB Georgia -- thought he'd be a bruiser RB that could work in a tandem situation
Alec Ingold, FB Wisonsin -- Loved him as a FB

2020:
3.068 Josh Jones, OT Houston -- I thought he was a 1st round talent, but needed development. His athleticism now developing at G is surprising to me, he should be a developmental LT.
3.080 Lloyd Cushenberry, C LSU -- I didn't anticipate his rookie struggles, but I thought his length and mentality would succeed at center. I'm still betting on him to win this year even though they drafted competition, just hope he takes a significant step forward.
4.110 Amik Robertson, CB Louisiana Tech -- fiesty CB thought he'd be an ideal nickle and if it didn't work out there his fiestiness would at least translate to a boundary guy that isn't covering a monster sized WR.
4.123 Rashard Lawrence, NT LSU -- squatty powerful NT I thought he'd end up similar to Tim Settle.
4.140 Ben Bredeson, OG Michigan -- Powerful and smart I liked him as a guard, but haven't heard if he's even in the conversation for the Ravens RG spot. I thought he would be.
5.150 Donovan Peoples-Jones, WR Michigan -- Athletic and very very high upside, I thought he'd take a bit of time to develop but he's flashed already.
5.163 Quintez Cephus, WR Wisconsin -- More quick than fast, always was going to struggle with separation but it worked in college and he has flashed a bit. Separation is still an issue.
6.195 Eno Benjamin, RB Arizona State -- Jeremy McNichols copy paste, single guy elusive back I thought could flash for a year or two if given the opportunity.
7.218 Rodrigo Blankenship, K Georgia -- The glasses kicker is awesome.
7.219 Joseph Charlton, P South Carolina -- Thought he has an NFL leg.
7.228 Hunter Bryant, TE Washington -- I thought he'd be a receiving option at TE, but injuries and blocking need to improve and then also get an opportunity.
7.242 Lamar Jackson, CB Nebraska -- His speed is questionable and a move to safety might happen, but I'm not sure he'll stay in the league after the Jets did him dirty with that end of game blitz with no help covering Henry Ruggs on an obvious hail mary. I hope that stupid play call doesn't end his career.
7.249 AJ Green, CB Oklahoma State -- I think he's bouncing around the 53 man line for the Browns, but they've invested so much at the position I'm not confident he makes the cut this year. I think he'd get a shot on a team with a weaker room though.
7.253 Trey Adams, LT Washington -- He retired. He looked sapped at the combine, but late late late round pick I was betting on the slim chance at showing out like he did early in college. Injuries ended his career.

2021:
3.066 -- Alim McNeill, DT North Carolina State -- Ideal NT that actually offers some pass rush. I was not expecting such a rare prospect to go this late.
3.083 -- from CHI -- Wyatt Davis, RG The Ohio State -- Ideal RG.
4.107 -- Jabril Cox, LB LSU -- Coverage LB, instead of projecting with Mack Wilson Cox has shown elite coverage at times. I think he's a LB for sure, but his coverage is enough that he might be a super super sized SS.
5.164 -- from CHI -- Marvin Wilson, DT Florida State -- NFL made a mistake not drafting him. He's a good person and at a minimum depth in the NFL, I think the switch to NT and coaching asked him to sacrifice his stats and it wasn't pretty. He's versatile enough to take snaps at NT, but he's a run stuffing under tackle I think. He should be in the league a while in that role even if it's rotational.
6.186 -- Thomas Graham Jr., CB Oregon -- Graham has the CB mentality to overcome size concerns, and the talent to be sticky in coverage. A year off for COVID hurt him, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him start in CHI this year.
6.204 -- from CHI -- Tay Gowan, CB UCF -- Tay has so many traits to be a higher ranked player, just experience lacks. When he has played he's been good though and the size and athleticism at good. Opportunity needs to present itself and he needs to show out when it does.
7.230 -- Shaka Toney, SLB/LEO Penn State -- I don't get how Toney was a 7th rounder. He's a pass rusher that isn't big enough to put his hand in the dirt, but he's a real pass rusher. I'm not going to doubt him and I think he'll stick in the league long term.

• Like 3

Well, Noah Gray, Cornell Powell, and Trey Smith are all getting hyped like crazy by Chiefs media and coaches so far, so we'll see how they end up.

Skimming a list of past players, I had incredibly high hopes for Nick Allegretti. Thought he'd be the heir at C to continue the line of quality we had between Hudson and Morse in years prior. He wound up being a solid backup, but nowhere near as good as I hoped.

Pegged Tremon Smith as a bad player but an elite kick returner. Wound up being half right, very unfortunately.

I was really high on Mike Catapano. Came out of Princeton with the kind of measurables you'd expect from a much larger school. Never stepped up with the competition, though.

I was on the Tony Moeaki bandwagon.

I really liked Nico Johnson. Thought he'd wind up becoming what Reggie Ragland did instead. A limited, but useful, part time LB. Nico just wound up being a bad LB instead.

But, on the bright side, I thought Jamaal Charles was the steal of the draft, I was a big fan of Brandon Carr save one specific flaw, and the Tyreek Hill guy wound up being pretty good.