Who are some late round picks you had high hopes for? What happened to them?

Kiwibrown

Back in 1993, I thought that S Rondell Jones, Denver's third-round pick, would be Dennis Smith's successor. He only lasted a few years.

Ten years later, the Broncos drafted Florida DE Clint Mitchell in the seventh round, and after hearing good things about him (Woody Paige said right after that draft that Mitchell would be an All-Pro), I thought they had a steal. He only lasted a few years as well.

In 2012, the Broncos drafted Baylor C Philip Blake in Round 4. I  thought he would be the center of the future. Total wasted pick.

Ravens' 2018 7th Round Pick Zach Sieler. Ozzie Newsome's final ever draft selection. DII phenom with all the measurables and an elite athletic profile. Flashed in his first preseason and forced his way onto the roster. Looked like our future at 5T and a great pipeline talent. Ravens would go light at DI the next couple seasons though and showed preference to the Vets, thus playing the Practice Squad roulette game with young Sieler. Eventually Zach didn't clear waivers and the Dolphins who he had played well against during the preseason snatched him up.

Fast forward and Zach Sieler has already earned a 3 year contract extension for the Dolphins, after a breakout 2020 season for them. It sucks because the Ravens rarely let talent slip through their fingers and the lore/legacy carried by him as Ozzie's last draft pick only worsens the burn. Letting him grow under Calais Campbell, and then eventually pairing him long term with Justin Madubuike would've been amazing too. Really happy he's doing well though, even if it's not for the Ravens, great kid.

A few players that come to mind. Some of which may not constitute as late round picks but just some that I remember being high on that never reached their full potential for whatever reason.

Charles Spencer. The big 6'5 350 mobile freak with a nasty streak that moved like he was 6'4 250. I had high hopes for him and often compared him to Steve Hutchinson at the time. In fact, I actually wanted the Bears to take him instead of Hester (again...shows what I know). Unfortunately he injured his leg pretty badly and could never recover (IIRC--I'm too lazy to look this up right now).

Nathan Vasher. Showed great upside his rookie year, broke out in his 2nd, got paid, helped the Bears get to the SB and then got lazy.

OJ Atogwe. Was considered a 1st round talent at one point and slipped in the draft. Had a good 3 years and then suddenly fell off a cliff.

Kwon Alexander. As an of-ball LB Kwon had/has alot of potential to be one of the best, but unfortunately injuries have derailed his career and I'm afraid his best days are already behind him at such a young age.

Tim Hightower and Steve Slaton. This was a very DEEP RB class and I remember people were in love with both of their skill sets at the time and felt they were a potential steal in the draft, and the during the first few years they were right, but then they fell off for different reasons.

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Charles Spencer. The big 6'5 350 mobile freak with a nasty streak that moved like he was 6'4 250. I had high hopes for him and often compared him to Steve Hutchinson at the time. In fact, I actually wanted the Bears to take him instead of Hester (again...shows what I know). Unfortunately he injured his leg pretty badly and could never recover (IIRC--I'm too lazy to look this up right now).

Yup, broke his leg at the joint two games into his rookie season and never returned. 

Jeff Janis!  Small school kid with size and speed.  Green Bay.  Caught the two bombs against Arizona.  Thought he would break out.  Apparently the head wasn't really into football.  I remember Rodgers hit him on a deep route, and he was wide open, ball clanked off of his facemask.  And that was it for Janis in GB and apparently the league.

But, he was a very strong special teamer for a while, too.  But man, he could have been so much more.

On 7/13/2021 at 9:21 PM, Jakuvious said:

Well, Noah Gray, Cornell Powell, and Trey Smith are all getting hyped like crazy by Chiefs media and coaches so far, so we'll see how they end up.

Skimming a list of past players, I had incredibly high hopes for Nick Allegretti. Thought he'd be the heir at C to continue the line of quality we had between Hudson and Morse in years prior. He wound up being a solid backup, but nowhere near as good as I hoped.

Pegged Tremon Smith as a bad player but an elite kick returner. Wound up being half right, very unfortunately.

I was really high on Mike Catapano. Came out of Princeton with the kind of measurables you'd expect from a much larger school. Never stepped up with the competition, though.

I was on the Tony Moeaki bandwagon.

I really liked Nico Johnson. Thought he'd wind up becoming what Reggie Ragland did instead. A limited, but useful, part time LB. Nico just wound up being a bad LB instead.

But, on the bright side, I thought Jamaal Charles was the steal of the draft, I was a big fan of Brandon Carr save one specific flaw, and the Tyreek Hill guy wound up being pretty good.

The Chiefs have been hitting on their day #3 picks lately. L'Jarius Sneed in the 4th was the best rookie CB of 2020. I expect Pro Bowl in 2021 unless he gets injured again. Mike Danna in the 5th was good as well. 

I thought Aaron Murray, 5th round QB in 2014, could be a viable backup. He was the only player they drafted that year that didn't play out his rookie contract. I thought either Ramik Wilson or DJ Alexander would be a solid LB. Nope.

J