Pro Football Reference has compiled sack totals from before the stat was official

Apparition

This has long been a fascination of mine and now those numbers are finally available.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/sacks_career.htm

Turns out that the real single-season record does not belong to Strahan, after all.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/sacks_single_season.htm

Edited by Starless
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, August4th said:

Deacon Jones 64-69 run. Whew

Unbelievable. He AVERAGED 19.25 sacks a year for 6 straight years. In JJ Watt's dominant 4 year stretch where he won DPOY 3 out of the 4 years, he averaged 17.25. Just unbelievable.

This stuff is awesome. I've literally never heard of Al Baker before today, but he holds the record for most sacks in a season and is actually just outside the top-20 in sacks for a career. Without those 'unofficial' numbers, he's down at 108.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Duluther said:

Never even heard of Al Baker. Must have been quite the year. Wonder how the rest of his career went.

He should be in the Hall of Fame. Seems like he was his generation's version of Jason Taylor or Leslie O'Neal - a dominant player who never got the attention he deserved because he played mostly on bad teams. 

Edited by Starless
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Unbelievable. He AVERAGED 19.25 sacks a year for 6 straight years. In JJ Watt's dominant 4 year stretch where he won DPOY 3 out of the 4 years, he averaged 17.25. Just unbelievable.

This stuff is awesome. I've literally never heard of Al Baker before today, but he holds the record for most sacks in a season and is actually just outside the top-20 in sacks for a career. Without those 'unofficial' numbers, he's down at 108.

Turns out that this is a lie.

This man had 23 sacks in a single season and I knew him first for his ribs.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Turns out that this is a lie.

This man had 23 sacks in a single season and I knew him first for his ribs.

What a cool dude. Would love to drink a few beers and devour some ribs with him.

I've always wondered if there was some way to calculate sacks from back in the day. Like, did the official scorekeeper write "tackled QB for a loss" in the stat sheet so decades later in the future (now) we can say 'wait, that's a sack.' And then add it all up. 

Kinda annoys me that I don't remember Detroit's Al Baker with the incredible sack stats even though every family Turkey Day get-together we did in the 1970's had us watching a Detroit Lions football game at some point because hey all we had was 3 channels on the TV to choose from. So I must've watch that guy dropping some QB's but just not registering in the memory. Though in 1980, we were all whooping when that one Lions guy ran the OT-opening kickoff back for the game-winning score vs their arch-rival Bears. 

Alan Page, Carl Eller Jim Youngblood, Jack Youngblood were all really good, watched them play so many times and it's cool to see them on the list. Never knew Fred Dryer was such a baller, only know his as the actor in the 'Hunter' TV series from the 1980's. 

So many others too. These dudes could all be making $20M a year if they played in 2021 but back then they probably made only enough money to buy a used car. Times change. Merlin Olsen, Alex Karras who was basically only a pawn in Game of Life. The list goes on. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, FinSting said:

Alan Page, Carl Eller Jim Youngblood, Jack Youngblood were all really good, watched them play so many times and it's cool to see them on the list. Never knew Fred Dryer was such a baller, only know his as the actor in the 'Hunter' TV series from the 1980's. 

I only knew him from Frisky Dingo