Pro Football Reference has compiled sack totals from before the stat was official

I wonder if they will release single game sack #s.  I'm interested in seeing if they had anyone eclipsing Derrick Thomas' 7 sack game, which at this point seems unbreakable.  Only 4 other times has anyone gotten 6 in a game, and 1 of those times was by Derrick Thomas.

15 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Deacon Jones was pretty much like Wilt Chamberlain. People will say it's the era...until analytics guys get involved and so...yeah, not true...they'd be the elite of the elite in any era.

I'd still give SOME precedence to era - back then, head slapping an OL was not just legal, it was commonplace. Head slapping was outlawed in 1977, primarily because of guys like Jones, Tombstone Jackson of the Broncos, Alan Page, etc...

Here's Jones talking about it (in a humorous manner, mind you). I think he's only half joking when he said he could break a man's neck with that head slap - with those cast iron-sized hands coming in at full force, I'm sure he's concussed thousands of people over the years.

Not knocking him - I like the brutal effectiveness of a good head slap at work, wish I could use it more often - but I'd surmise the modern guys would benefit from such a violent move.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'd still give SOME precedence to era - back then, head slapping an OL was not just legal, it was commonplace. Head slapping was outlawed in 1977, primarily because of guys like Jones, Tombstone Jackson of the Broncos, Alan Page, etc...

Here's Jones talking about it (in a humorous manner, mind you). I think he's only half joking when he said he could break a man's neck with that head slap - with those cast iron-sized hands coming in at full force, I'm sure he's concussed thousands of people over the years.

Not knocking him - I like the brutal effectiveness of a good head slap at work, wish I could use it more often - but I'd surmise the modern guys would benefit from such a violent move.

You are right...but at the same time...the rules against OL were also not enforced like they are today...and teams barely passed during Deacon's age.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

You are right...but at the same time...the rules against OL were also not enforced like they are today...and teams barely passed during Deacon's age.

Very appropriate counter - that along with a 14 game schedule. How about we call it a wash?

• Like 1
On 7/12/2021 at 5:28 PM, August4th said:

Baker has the record from his rookie yr. playing for the Lions and Cards during his prime probably hurt his fame.

I wouldn't say I know him well, but I know Al Baker well enough to tell you that he is an extremely likable, salt-of-the-earth guy.

** old man name dropper leaves the chat **

• Like 3
On 7/15/2021 at 6:52 AM, BStanRamFan said:

And doing it in 14 games a season. 

It's the 20+ sacks in three different seasons that gets me.

Deacon was a 14th round pick in 1965 (#186). There were seven HoF players in that draft. Four in the first round, Fran Tarkington in the 3rd, and two players in the 14th--Deacon Jones and OG Billy Shaw. For a 32 team draft, that's five HoF players in the first round and the other two in the 6th. Bizarre.

J

Here to second on the context of the violence of defenders back in the days of iffy rules.

Deacon Jones was a head slap monster who would concuss O-lineman on the way to the QB.

Its just like Night Train Lane who was able to close line people with forearm to the neck tackles.

The numbers are still impressive but there are huge asterisks.

On 7/12/2021 at 11:24 PM, swoosh said:

What a cool dude. Would love to drink a few beers and devour some ribs with him.

Al Baker was a guest on the Around The NFL podcast after this story broke, and he came across as a really humble, likeable guy. He seemed genuinely moved by the way he was being recognised by these new stat calculations.

Glad for him.

• Like 1

Just to be like pretty clear here, this isn't **** PFR did but basically add Turneys work into their site right?

Without double checking his old totals and layering them over the modern ones, I'm pretty sure this is the same stuff he's had it for like 20 years, if not more?

He was calling Baker the sack king for a while, for the information that he had available. None of this is new... Just finally got his worked published where someone cared.

That being said, I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure he had this stuff out on the web an eternity ago.

• Like 1