Jump to content

Where The Bears Upgraded Most In Free Agency


Recommended Posts

On 7/14/2021 at 8:23 PM, abstract_thought said:

I don’t view Dalton as an upgrade if he’s a starter. Guys like Attaochu and Wilkinson are just replacing depth that was already here.

I think Goodwin is an omission I’m more excited about. He’s a clear upgrade over Ted Ginn.

Mentally and from an experiential standpoint Dalton is an upgrade.  He's had success doing many of the things Mitch couldn't seem grasp like making line calls, checking out of poorly called plays, and throwing a receiver open.  These are things Fields will have to pick up on as well and we can only hope he can do it far better than Trubisky ever could.

Attaochu is an upgrade over Mingo as an edge rusher and he plays the run well but much like Quinn he's pretty useless in coverage.

Wilkinson is currently no more than a big bodied JAG but maybe Castillo sees something in him that says much like Ifedi he can be coached up and improved.  I'll believe it when I see it because I didn't see it in Denver.

Teddy Ginn was spent.  It wouldn't take much to be an upgrade over him but he and Byrd bring the kind of speed depth we've lacked.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Biggest upgrades IMO

1) Getting Cohen back is a bigger upgrade than Williams is. I don't see Williams as anything much more than a well-rounded depth player on a 1-year trial run to give Herbert a chance to get acclimated. Decent to solid, offers a good change a pace for a few plays, but not great at anything.

2) Revamping the OL and it couldn't have happened at a better time. I'm never against any team rebuilding the OL to protect their potential QBOTF, so good on the FO for giving Fields a solid OL to grow with that include a good mixture of both vets (Whitehair, Ifedi, Wilkinson) and young potential (Mustipher, Daniels, Jenkins, Borom, Albright).

3) Goldman returning. This goes without saying but his presence was missed last year-- especially against the run.

4) Byrd. I'm not expecting much more than a stop-gap like year for him. Where his most value comes in at is possibly filling a need at the 3rd spot in the (likely) event Miller doesn't wisen up. Byrd has a good opportunity here with both Miller and Wims in the doghouse and Dazz still recovering after missing all OS programs. Regardless, I don't see the 3rd spot getting many looks on offense this year anyhow. There's only so many balls to go around and I fully expect Arob, Kmet, Mooney, Graham, Monty and Cohen to see more action than the former.


Bonus take;  Who's better: Dalton, Mitch, or Foles?

AcceptableUnsteadyBillygoat-max-1mb.gif

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If Dalton is an upgrade it's a very incremental one.  By the stats from last year it's kind of a wash between Dalton and Mitch. I guess you could make the argument that Dalton with an offseason is better than Foles without one, but I wouldn't argue that very hard.  Wouldn't surprise me to see Dalton look decent-good early on and then teams figure out and plan for how Nagy deploys him.  Sure we can all agree that it's great not having Dalton be our best and only option for the season.  Would be interesting to see Dalton's jersey sales as I can't imagine there are many starting QBs (QB1!) selling fewer shirts. Garrpolo? Wentz?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Biggest upgrades IMO

1) Getting Cohen back is a bigger upgrade than Williams is. I don't see Williams as anything much more than a well-rounded depth player on a 1-year trial run to give Herbert a chance to get acclimated. Decent to solid, offers a good change a pace for a few plays, but not great at anything.

2) Revamping the OL and it couldn't have happened at a better time. I'm never against any team rebuilding the OL to protect their potential QBOTF, so good on the FO for giving Fields a solid OL to grow with that include a good mixture of both vets (Whitehair, Ifedi, Wilkinson) and young potential (Mustipher, Daniels, Jenkins, Borom, Albright).

3) Goldman returning. This goes without saying but his presence was missed last year-- especially against the run.

4) Byrd. I'm not expecting much more than a stop-gap like year for him. Where his most value comes in at is possibly filling a need at the 3rd spot in the (likely) event Miller doesn't wisen up. Byrd has a good opportunity here with both Miller and Wims in the doghouse and Dazz still recovering after missing all OS programs. Regardless, I don't see the 3rd spot getting many looks on offense this year anyhow. There's only so many balls to go around and I fully expect Arob, Kmet, Mooney, Graham, Monty and Cohen to see more action than the former.


Bonus take;  Who's better: Dalton, Mitch, or Foles?

AcceptableUnsteadyBillygoat-max-1mb.gif

I don't necessarily disagree with any of this but what I was looking for was which FA acquisitions will help most as opposed to our own guys returning from injury or a COVID sabbatical.

What Williams gives us is a legit backup for Montgomery we did not have when he went down with an injury.  He's very similar in size and skill set and would hopefully be able to take over Monty's role should he get injured and miss several games or even the season.  Cohen isn't able to do that and it's likely that Herbert or another #4 RB will still be too green to handle everything the offense would require of him.

Goodwin is little more than insurance behind Mooney provided he makes the 53 man roster.  Byrd would seem to be the more valuable of the two as a slot receiver who could also back up Mooney but IMHO he was signed to light a major fire under Miller from day one of camp forward.  Miller has disappointed badly enough to have already been on the trading block and if he doesn't pick up his game quickly IMHO he's gonna stay there and Byrd will take his place with Newsome as his longer term replacement.

The problem with Miller is that we've invested two 2nd round picks in him and can't get near enough back in value if we trade him.  He's in his contract year so hopefully he'll bust out again like he did as a rookie and if he does and we can get decent value for him I would still trade him in a NY minute.  IMHO with his ego and cockiness he's never gonna be content being a #3 WR because he sees himself as a #2 guy or even a potential #1 guy somewhere else and I think he'll be tough to extend for #3 money.  His lack of discipline will always hurt him in this offense.  JMHO

Whose better?

Dalton.  What I see in him now and I saw in him last year is his ability to adapt himself far better to what Nagy wants to run which is why I wanted him over Foles then.  Mitch was never gonna be the guy Nagy wanted and Foles needed more support than we could give in 2020 and I don't think that's changed all that much although I suspect he'd do better as a starter now than he did in 2020.

Dalton has always seemed to be a guy who over achieved in Cincy getting as much out of his skills as he could.  He could take teams no better than we are now to the playoffs but couldn't win at that level.  Up against better defenses and QBs is where he fell short and I suspect it will be much the same here.  If you asked me if we can win 10 games with Dalton I would say yeah, it's possible.  But he's also not a guy whose likely to take any team deep in the playoffs.  For now he's about as good a bridge QB as we could have signed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Dalton and Mitch are the same level of QB. Almost every statistic bears that out.

Many of the arguments about Dalton are the same arguments people used to justify the Foles acquisition last season. He was a "better fit" for Nagy's offense too.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Dalton and Mitch are the same level of QB. Almost every statistic bears that out.

Many of the arguments about Dalton are the same arguments people used to justify the Foles acquisition last season. He was a "better fit" for Nagy's offense too.

I would disagree with you here. Dalton has far more experience and has accomplished quite a bit more throughout his career than Mitch has to date.

I don't believe stats tell the whole story on any QB.  For instance some of Jim McMahon's stats were down right average yet he was smart and knew how to win.  Physically Mitch may be better than Dalton but not mentally.  It's there where Dalton has an edge and also what Nagy wanted.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2021 at 10:09 PM, soulman said:

Mentally and from an experiential standpoint Dalton is an upgrade.  He's had success doing many of the things Mitch couldn't seem grasp like making line calls, checking out of poorly called plays, and throwing a receiver open.  These are things Fields will have to pick up on as well and we can only hope he can do it far better than Trubisky ever could.

He already does. And should only improve.

On 7/16/2021 at 4:23 PM, soulman said:

I don't believe stats tell the whole story on any QB.  For instance some of Jim McMahon's stats were down right average yet he was smart and knew how to win.  Physically Mitch may be better than Dalton but not mentally.  It's there where Dalton has an edge and also what Nagy wanted.

bingo_sopranos.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...