FA CB Richard Sherman booked for Burglary Domestic Violence

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

She was such a B and rude the entire time. Aren't the dispatchers jobs to calm the caller down? She did the opposite of that. 

My brother is a dispatcher. He's a jackass to people that call. Granted, they deal with an inordinate amount of stupid people from coworkers to callers. 

Kind of shocked about Sherman. He seemed like one of the better dudes in the league off the field. He might be a late playoff push signing now. 

This seems to be wife-related, and now female-related trouble is probably more of a threat than drug trouble.  

If you make it to the league without any positive tests, everyone knows when they get tested.  At that point, you have to be incredibly dumb or unlucky to get caught.  

Women-related trouble, that can pop up every single weekend. No shade to Sherman's wife, I have no idea where blame lies. This is more of a general observation about the biggest risks players have to their career.  Players need to be worried about bad relationships as much as they do about injury.  Brandon Marshall almost messed up his career because he had a woman he needed to get away from.  

I have no doubt everyone tells these guys to look out for women, and it's unrealistic to expect young millionaires to make sound decisions regarding women (I certainly would not............Giggity).

It's just rough to see such a self-inflicted wound. So many scenarios that could have been avoided.  

1 hour ago, RuskieTitan said:

How many good guys do you know get drunk and drive?

Inexcusable for Sherman. Hopefully this is the right wakeup call for him to never recklessly endanger the lives of others when he can easily afford a ride to whereever he wishes to go.

This is such a naive comment imo. I’m not trying to attack you personally by any means, and have no idea what your background is, but making a mistake does not make you a bad person. Based on Sherm’s past record this was an isolated event, and while I do recognize it only takes once to drastically change your life and potentially many others’ lives, I would reserve judgement until you or someone close to you goes through an experience like this: You’d be surprised what people are struggling with and how easy these types of situations are to get into. 

/rant

Side note: if you told me 10 years ago I’d be defending Sherm I’d call you crazy lol. I also hope you don’t take this as a personal attack towards you @RuskieTitan, I have had some experience with this though and I can tell you, from the people I know that have gone through situations like this (DUI), they are not bad people. I have no excuses for the actions, but I’d be cautious about judging a person’s character based on an incident like this.

• Like 3

Suicidal thoughts can also lead someone to drink and drive and intentionally hit a barrier. The drinking part is to give them the confidence to not back out. If thats the situation and he was frustrated to leave uninjured he could have walked to his in laws and expressed how he wanted another shot at suicide, then they locked the gate and then his wife pleaded that suicide by cop wasn't going to be an issue. Very dark thoughts where you are truly ready to end it can drive great people to take reckless actions. I hope he gets the privacy needed and good counseling to escape the mental place he is in. Football isn't worth it. The millions aren't worth it. Step back and take care of yourself, to a football player or anyone else who enters that place. Life looks like you're trapped, but the struggle and having a support system there to assist you can lead to unexpected healthy escapes. I hope to see Richard take this experience and heal, then hopefully reemerge working with the players union with a plan on addressing mental health and recovery. Richard is very smart and a great advocate and I hope the league provides for him and empowers him when he's ready to make a positive impact once again for the players.

Edited by Trojan
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

How many good guys do you know get drunk and drive?

Life is not that black and white.  Drinking and driving isn't a smart choice to make, and it can have deadly consequences.  But it, like any other mistake that people sometimes make, doesn't define you.  

• Like 5

I've been listening to the Richard Sherman/Chris Collingsworth podcast for a while. Sherman always comes across as such as a well spoken and intelligent guy. I'd noticed he hadn't been on for a couple of months, without Collingsworth ever really explaining why. Sounds as though he may have been dealing with some issues for a while.

I’ve got zero tolerance for drunk driving in any capacity, especially in today’s day and age. Having innocent family friends killed by a drunk driver will do that. Mental health is a complicated issue, but giving him a pass and making him out to be a victim isn’t the right solution either. Everyone is lucky this story didn’t have a tragic ending in some capacity.

• Like 7
3 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Life is not that black and white.  Drinking and driving isn't a smart choice to make, and it can have deadly consequences.  But it, like any other mistake that people sometimes make, doesn't define you.  

It doesn’t define him but most mistakes aren’t 100% avoidable. Drinking and driving is. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

It doesn’t define him but most mistakes aren’t 100% avoidable. Drinking and driving is. 

I didn't suggest otherwise. I think my point still stands.

Speeding is also an action that is avoidable (and I'd argue someone who is sober and speeding is making more of a conscious decision than someone who is drunk and decides to drive, although I should emphasize before it is miscontrued that yes, drinking and driving is worse) and can have deadly consequences.  Would it be fair for me to then ask what good people you know that speed, as if speeding dictates who is good or bad?

Drinking and driving is dumb.  Nobody in this thread has argued otherwise.  But it's also dumb to think someone is a bad person simply because they made that poor decision.  It's a decision millions and millions of Americans make.  We can either think every single one of those millions of people are/were bad, or we can think that sometimes humans make bad decisions, the avoid-ability of it being irrelevant.

What matters more than anything is how you respond to the mistakes you have made.  If Sherman comes out of this thanking his lucky stars he didn't injure anyone and learns his lesson by not doing this again (and as of now, we have no reason to believe Sherman has a history of being this reckless - even his wife who made the call said this isn't like him), then why should I think he's a bad person?  Just because he made a dumb decision while he was drunk?  Especially when you consider he's probably got a lot of mental health issues going on - after all, nobody threatens to kill themselves out of thin air.

I'm not trying to defend any of Sherman's actions.  He made some poor decisions and deserves to be punished. At the same time though I think every person deserves a fair chance to own up to their mistake before we start vilifying them.  Up to this point there was no reason to think Sherman was a bad dude off the field.  I don't think a decade of good behavior should get trumped by one night of poor decisions.  

Justin Bieber is a great example.  He was a young teenager who made a lot of questionable decisions (far more than Sherman has made) and got arrested for a DUI.  And now by all accounts he's turned his life around and is a great dude.  He's an example of someone who was never neccessarily a bad person, just someone who needed guidance and time.  

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

I can only imagine the frustration of being a former NFL superstar who is having trouble finding a job. I know I've personally hit the bottle after a bad week, and this guy's been dealing with it for months.

Not making excuses for Sherman - in fact, I don't like the guy - but we all have weak moments, and he's on a constant stage under a spotlight, as we're seeing by this (now 5 page) thread.

Nobody thinks straight after a few drinks, let alone a few bottles. 

I hope he can rebound from this, and it sounds like the only damage is probably how his head felt the next day, which is temporary.

17 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Sherman did not hurt anyone (or himself) because he was stopped by police. (as far as we know at this time)

If they had to take him down with a dog then its because he was out of control. (not sure on those details being verified)

Denial of bail for a rich person who can afford good lawyers is not a casual thing done over minor issues.

He did not kill anyone on the road because people got lucky and he hit a wall instead of a family of six or three construction workers (this luck is a fact of all drunk drivers that don't kill people)

• Drunk driving
  • Hit and run / fleeing the scene
  • Destruction of public property
  • Domestic Violence (stalking your wife at her parent's house is absolutely domestic violence)

There is nothing minor about this.

And he was fighting with her Uncle and said if police came to residence he would fight them.

She was frightened enough to call police.  

Police have a hard job at times.  And often thankless too.

When you call police on your husband because you are legit afraid, you can't get mad when state presses the issue criminally.   Or you shouldn't.

• Like 3