FA CB Richard Sherman booked for Burglary Domestic Violence

20 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

ESPN playing a video clip of part of that night involving Sherman. Bit surprised that ESPN was taking a TMZ-like approach. Seemed unnecessary.

TMZ is a higher quality establishment than ESPN. We just happen to like the subject matter more that ESPN covers.

• Like 10

From what I've seen and read it just kind of looks like Sherman is currently going through some serious personal stuff. He should be able to get some counseling and continue to be a good citizen. It seems as though his family and the courts are fully in support of him. I think he'll do the work.

This really seems like a bigger headline than story.

21 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I do think people who speed are bad, reckless people. I’m not talking going slightly over the speed limit or within the unwritten rule of speed (in Ontario, anything within 15-20 over the speed limit is the norm and not policed). That's normal.

But the people who drive recklessly and fast enough to lose control of their vehicle are yes, quite typically bad and dumb people making bad decisions.

There is nothing irrelevant about it at all. If you’re going to drink, don’t drive. There are so many responsible and cheap alternatives. There’s literally no excuse. Sherman’s situation quite clearly goes deeper and as some one else had said, his mental health is not his fault but it’s certainly part of his responsibility. 

There is more that goes into being a good or a bad person than the decision to speed or the decision to drink and drive, especially without any knowledge of if this is something Sherman makes a habit of.

And nobody is making excuses for Sherman.  I'm not sure why you keep telling me how bad drinking and driving is.  I agree it is a terrible decision to make.  I agree he should be punished. But one bad decision does not make someone a bad person.  Especially when we are talking about someone who has done plenty of charitable acts.

https://www.sportscasting.com/richard-sherman-is-brash-but-he-has-a-heart-of-gold/

Things happen.  Good people can sometimes do bad things or make bad decisions.  Bad people can sometimes do good things or make good decisions.  It's life.  Yes Sherman made an idiotic decision but it should not write his story.  

The reason why I'm so against labeling people or shoehorning them into a role is because it just in most scenarios makes the situation worse (same reason why just throwing people in prison doesn't always stop people from being repeat offenders).  Obviously our thoughts on an Internet forum aren't going to affect Sherman, but I genuinely hope that if you ever have a friend in your life who drinks and drive, you don't just tell them how bad of a person they are or that they are a dumb person.  Offer support, tell them they are making poor decisions with their life and that you want to help.  Show them you care while also emphasizing how bad of a decision it is.  But let's not just call people good or bad because of one decision.  Especially without knowing them and everything that is going on.  Not only does it not consider how life works and that none of us will ever be perfect with every decision we make, but it just makes it worse on the individual too.

EDIT - I do want to add, I get where you are coming from.  I can get how it can seem like you would have to be a bad person to make those kind of decisions.  However I just think it is very harmful to look at life that way.  There's a million different things that can affect someone's decision-making or make them do things that aren't of their character.  And according to his wife, he's on antidepressants.  I don't know you, I don't know if you have dealt with any mental health issues or not.  But that stuff sucks, man.  He needs to own up for his night of bad decisions but at the end of the day, we have no right to judge him as a human when this is literally the only time (that I can recall) he's gotten in any kind of trouble off the field.  He does a lot for his communities and by all accounts has always been a good person and leader in the locker-room.  

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Brandon Browner(8 Years in Prison), Earl Thomas(Went legit crazy and destroyed his family/career/legacy), now Sherman. Good % of the original LOB members are down kind of bad. Has to suck for Seahawks' fans to see such a dark cloud hanging over one of their club's greatest units.

We must protect Kam Chancellor and Jeremy Lane at all costs!

10 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

From what I've seen and read it just kind of looks like Sherman is currently going through some serious personal stuff. He should be able to get some counseling and continue to be a good citizen. It seems as though his family and the courts are fully in support of him. I think he'll do the work.

This really seems like a bigger headline than story.

I mean if he's threatening to kill himself while intoxicated and committing felonies I don't see how that isn't a big deal. Counseling might help, it might not.

I'm going to wait for actual facts here considered his significant other immediately came out to his defense so it seems. If the allegations are true however, he might as well retire.

48 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I'm going to wait for actual facts here considered his significant other immediately came out to his defense so it seems. If the allegations are true however, he might as well retire.

I mean, the facts are all out. Sherman had his hearing earlier today; 

Richard Sherman was charged with five misdemeanors on Friday by the King County Prosecuting Attorney's office, including driving under the influence, endangering roadway workers, resisting arrest and domestic-violence-related counts of malicious mischief and criminal trespass.

The DUI and reckless endangerment charges are gross misdemeanors, punishable by up to 364 days in jail and a $5,000 fine. The other charges are simple misdemeanors

The Domestic violence aspect is because his malicious mischief and criminal trespass happened on the property of a family member (father-in-law). These are not, NOT a big deal, but after being released without bail as the judge mentioned Sherman as a "pillar of the community" and Washington State's leniency on prosecution, guessing this ends without jail time or much of anything beyond a fine.

The exact details of everything that happened that night are pretty clearly spelled out in articles on ESPN and CBS.

Edited by animaltested
  • Like 2
27 minutes ago, animaltested said:

I mean, the facts are all out. Sherman had his hearing earlier today; 

The Domestic violence aspect is because his malicious mischief and criminal trespass happened on the property of a family member (father-in-law). These are not, NOT a big deal, but after being released without bail as the judge mentioned Sherman as a "pillar of the community" and Washington State's leniency on prosecution, guessing this ends without jail time or much of anything beyond a fine.

The exact details of everything that happened that night are pretty clearly spelled out in articles on ESPN and CBS.

Fair enough, I hadn't read any of the most recent articles. But I definitely think he needs to seek therapy.

• Like 1

I really really wanted to walk away from this topic. But the LOB talk just reminded me that Earl Thomas was actually the VICTIM of a robbery by his SO and he was made out to be the bad guy and some deranged individuals actually wanted him to be punished. Insane double standard.

And he was actually still a good player.

Edited by DontTazeMeBro
43 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I really really wanted to walk away from this topic. But the LOB talk just reminded me that Earl Thomas was actually the VICTIM of a robbery by his SO and he was made out to be the bad guy and some deranged individuals actually wanted him to be punished. Insane double standard.

And he was actually still a good player.

Cheating on your wife you took vows with makes you a terrible person in my opinion but hey it’s just my opinion...

• Like 3

I wish this site allowed more conversation.

It would be fascinating to explore some comments above and  how people are determining what makes someone a good or bad person.  

To have some good philosophical debates with people of a common interest, in this case football, used to be what forums were about. 

Why people think therapy is a good answer to bad behavior or a perhaps a bad one? 

These discussions would be interesting.  Yes they would get heated, but so be it.  

Unfortunately many cannot handle a dissenting opinion, a different opinion then theirs or have civilized disagreements.  

Hence we now have speech codes at Universities and work places and even on Internet forums and social media, etc. 

Free speech even outside government regulations used to be a paramount value in United States.  People of decades past would say I don’t  agree with what you have to say, but I would die for your right to say it.  No one says that anymore.

Maybe what people really meant is if we are minority opinion we want to be able to say whatever and be tolerated. Once we have majority opinion on something it is time to end all debate and forbid further discussion forever.  

• Like 3