Pick a game to get an HD remake and describe any changes

MikeT14

5 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

the first AC gameplay was way to repetitive, unless they changed it all a remake wouldn’t fix it.

Yeah if we are just talking fresh new skin on top of what’s there it wouldn’t be really worth it. 

I’m thinking like they just take the engine they have for one of these modern ones and just remake AC1 in the modern engine. As like a smaller AC release, similar to like Far Cry Primal being built off Far Cry 4.

Retell Altair’s story and kind of link up to these games that come before it on the timeline a little more. There is way more they could do with that setting.

On 7/20/2021 at 12:52 AM, RavensfanRD said:

Too many to name, but I'll keep it reasonable.

• Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
  • Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (This one more than anything)
  • Gran Theft Auto: Vice City
  • Goldeneye: 007
  • WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2006

Though I know most of these would never see the light of day in a remake/remaster, one can still dream. I'd pay whatever price they wanted to throw on it for any of these games. What a time to be alive during their original runs.

90% of the games I want to see remastered are arcady type games from either the N64 or EA Sports BIG franchise.

I would love a next gen SSX Tricky game, 1080 Snowboarding, NBA street, NFL street.

Look how good the THPS 1+2 remaster was last year. That game was incredible remastered. Why can't SSX get a similar treatment

• Like 2

On 7/20/2021 at 12:52 AM, RavensfanRD said:

Too many to name, but I'll keep it reasonable.

• Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
  • Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (This one more than anything)
  • Gran Theft Auto: Vice City
  • Goldeneye: 007
  • WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2006

Though I know most of these would never see the light of day in a remake/remaster, one can still dream. I'd pay whatever price they wanted to throw on it for any of these games. What a time to be alive during their original runs.

90% of the games I want to see remastered are arcady type games from either the N64 or EA Sports BIG franchise.

I would love a next gen SSX Tricky game, 1080 Snowboarding, NBA street, NFL street.

Look how good the THPS 1+2 remaster was last year. That game was incredible remastered. Why can't SSX get a similar treatment

This is tough because I think a lot of old games aren't that good anymore. We just loved them at the time. Like for example, I have a friend who grew up playing Halo 2 and that game is recognized as legendary within the world of FPS games online. They remastered the game in the Halo Master Chief Collection and it's just meh. Same game and it looks better, but it's just not as fun in 2021.

I bet Goldeneye007 for the N64 would be the same way. Game was legendary in its day, but I highly doubt the game would be a ton of fun right now.

You also have to realize that most people who grew up playing these games as a kid/teenager are in their late 20's and 30's now. They're much older, have lives, etc. The really young kids of today (people who are 14 right now) don't give a crap about Goldeneye007.

I personally don't want any game remastered. Just make new games. Give us Team Fortress 3.

Alan Wake

First couple God of War games 

Conflict: Desert Storm

Army of Two

Max Payne

ico 

Ocarina of Time

Pokémon Silver and Gold (again)

Star Wars Pod Racer

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 

Star Wars: Republic Commando

Red Dead Redemption 1 

Sonic Adventure 1+2

Luigis Mansion (for Switch)

Uncharted: Golden Compass (complete remake to be be on consoles6

Viewtiful Joe (!!!)

Banjo Kazooie 

On 7/24/2021 at 8:19 PM, showtime said:

This is tough because I think a lot of old games aren't that good anymore. We just loved them at the time. Like for example, I have a friend who grew up playing Halo 2 and that game is recognized as legendary within the world of FPS games online. They remastered the game in the Halo Master Chief Collection and it's just meh. Same game and it looks better, but it's just not as fun in 2021.

I bet Goldeneye007 for the N64 would be the same way. Game was legendary in its day, but I highly doubt the game would be a ton of fun right now.

You also have to realize that most people who grew up playing these games as a kid/teenager are in their late 20's and 30's now. They're much older, have lives, etc. The really young kids of today (people who are 14 right now) don't give a crap about Goldeneye007.

I personally don't want any game remastered. Just make new games. Give us Team Fortress 3.

Played goldeneye with some friends a few weeks ago and couldn’t even finish one multiplayer game. It was rough

I guess my big one would be Fallout 3. One of my fav games all time but when I went back it is really hard to play with how gray and brown everything is. Would love a next genr remaster, sad that it wouldnt come out for PS5

Edited by JBURGE

On 7/30/2021 at 6:35 PM, Fresh Prince said:

Played goldeneye with some friends a few weeks ago and couldn’t even finish one multiplayer game. It was rough

Exactly. It's crazy how these games were so fun like 20 years ago but today they're not as good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/24/2021 at 8:19 PM, showtime said:

Sorry for digging up such an old post, but I kinda wanted to touch on this.

In general, nothing you said was wrong, but that's essentially the purpose of a modern remake....to breath new life into a popular game for a new generation, while at the same time, reaching towards some older gamers with a remake of a classic.

Look at the Tomb Raider reboots.   Look at Final Fantasy 7 Remake.    There are plenty of games/franchises out there that could benefit greatly from a remake....pending its done well.

I dont think GoldenEye is a good example of a game that would benefit much from a remake, because in general, its a pretty basic, movie licensed.  first person shooter.   It was obviously special for its time, but the game never really had enough personalities or unique flare to make it stand the test of time, and pretty much everything you can do with a FPS has already been done better by a ton of different games.

However, there are many games that I think could benefit IMMENSELY from a modern remake, and be hugely successful.

I am perfectly fine with new games/franchises and largely prefer it....but there is a difference between a remake and a remaster.   

A remaster of an original is largely the exact same game as the original, just with updated graphics and maybe some other tweaks to gameplay or assets.

A remake is a completely new game BASED on the original.    Usually, the characters are the only thing that remains the same, but the gameplay and graphics engine are built from the ground up and in most ways, feels like a pretty new game.

Im not big on remasters unless they are games that still hold up pretty well today (see Mass Effect).   But I am opposed to remasters of games that feel largely outdated regardless of what you do with the graphics (see Grand Theft Auto 3 remaasters).

Bottom line....there is nothing wrong with remakes of classics, as long as its done well....and we have see it can be done with great success.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 43M said:

Sorry for digging up such an old post, but I kinda wanted to touch on this.

In general, nothing you said was wrong, but that's essentially the purpose of a modern remake....to breath new life into a popular game for a new generation, while at the same time, reaching towards some older gamers with a remake of a classic.

Look at the Tomb Raider reboots.   Look at Final Fantasy 7 Remake.    There are plenty of games/franchises out there that could benefit greatly from a remake....pending its done well.

I dont think GoldenEye is a good example of a game that would benefit much from a remake, because in general, its a pretty basic, movie licensed.  first person shooter.   It was obviously special for its time, but the game never really had enough personalities or unique flare to make it stand the test of time, and pretty much everything you can do with a FPS has already been done better by a ton of different games.

However, there are many games that I think could benefit IMMENSELY from a modern remake, and be hugely successful.

I am perfectly fine with new games/franchises and largely prefer it....but there is a difference between a remake and a remaster.   

A remaster of an original is largely the exact same game as the original, just with updated graphics and maybe some other tweaks to gameplay or assets.

A remake is a completely new game BASED on the original.    Usually, the characters are the only thing that remains the same, but the gameplay and graphics engine are built from the ground up and in most ways, feels like a pretty new game.

Im not big on remasters unless they are games that still hold up pretty well today (see Mass Effect).   But I am opposed to remasters of games that feel largely outdated regardless of what you do with the graphics (see Grand Theft Auto 3 remaasters).

Bottom line....there is nothing wrong with remakes of classics, as long as its done well....and we have see it can be done with great success.

Yeah, but there's a huge difference between remaking a multiplayer game and a single player game. The Tomb Raider and FF7 examples are good ones, but those games are single player games. Look at the Mass Effect Remastered Trilogy that came out this year... it was great. Another great example is like Resident Evil 2 remake from a year or two ago. If a really old game like that is completely remade from the ground up, then it's great.

Then you have something like that Grand Theft Auto thing that came out a month or so ago and looks like crap.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, showtime said:

Yeah, but there's a huge difference between remaking a multiplayer game and a single player game. The Tomb Raider and FF7 examples are good ones, but those games are single player games. Look at the Mass Effect Remastered Trilogy that came out this year... it was great. Another great example is like Resident Evil 2 remake from a year or two ago. If a really old game like that is completely remade from the ground up, then it's great.

Then you have something like that Grand Theft Auto thing that came out a month or so ago and looks like crap.

I dont disagree.

I think single player, story based games with strong characters are ripe for remakes.   Again, much like you, I usually like original games and newer franchises, but Ill gladly support high quality remakes.