Panthers extend OT Taylor Morton (4 years, $72M, $43M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I like to think I'm pretty current on players and what not but I've literally never heard of this dude lol

To be fair, the national media never really covered the Panthers nearly as much as some other teams, and when Christian McCaffrey went down, there wasn't much on offense to showcase.

I guess OL play isn't something a lot of people follow. 

Moton is a pretty damn good T who would have broken the bank had he hit the open market next year.

That 2017 draft was a good one for the Panthers. McCaffrey, Curtis Samuel, and Moton. They also drafted The Buttkicker, but obviously he didn't stick around there.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I guess OL play isn't something a lot of people follow. 

Moton is a pretty damn good T who would have broken the bank had he hit the open market next year.

That 2017 draft was a good one for the Panthers. McCaffrey, Curtis Samuel, and Moton. They also drafted The Buttkicker, but obviously he didn't stick around there.

OL play and Panthers football but I get it... they've won 5 games the past two years. Not gonna act like I"ve watched their past seasons close whatsoever, but still kinda surprised this is a name people don't recognize.

But... lol dude was taken just behind Juju at the end of the 2nd round and just ahead of Kamara...... has started every single game the past 3 years.

I remember in the 2017 draft he was getting talked about a lot as a day 2 type guy. Corey Davis was blowing it up at Western Michigan, so he got a lot more attention than he probably would have if there wasn't a player getting clear first round buzz at his school.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

On 7/15/2021 at 7:23 PM, Danger said:

PFF seems to like him, but this is the first time Ive heard of him.

On 7/15/2021 at 5:29 PM, mattyice0401 said:

I came here on that exact thought process when I saw the news and wanted to ask the board how good he is

On 7/15/2021 at 4:10 PM, Rodjahs12 said:

I like to think I'm pretty current on players and what not but I've literally never heard of this dude lol

Taylor Moton was one of the good 2nd-day OTs in the 2017 draft. He (Western Michigan) and Dion Dawkins (Temple, IIRC) were the two guys that had some pretty easy-to-see talent pre-draft, but were projected inside to guard because they weren't highly-touted and played for small schools. While Forrest Lamp, from WKU, was LOVED by draftniks (ultimately fell to the second day, though). Anyways, both Moton and Dawkins have been really good but gotten less attention than the day 1 guys or Cam Robinson. I think both were day 2 targets by the Rams that year, IIRC. 

2017 was a weak OL draft overall, and it took some time for some of the talent to round out into form, but we still got a few pretty good starter-caliber OTs out of it. I'd honestly probably rate them:

Ryan Ramczyk

Dion Dawkins

Garett Bolles

Taylor Moton

Cam Robinson

And then you have Julie'n Davenport and Sam Tevi, who have fairly consistently been starting tackles since being drafted, but both have been major liabilities for their teams.