Steam Deck

showtime

Was coming here to post this news after hearing my buddy from Larian give me a head's up. I'll have to look into it a bit more, but it made sense for Valve to go into this arena ("mobile" gaming) after dominating the desktop market. I could see the appeal of having certain PC games available whereever you want to play.

4 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

If you don't have a gaming PC, would this be a worthy purchase? I also saw you can only order 1 per customer and you had to have a steam purchase by June 21 to be able to reserve it. 

Remains to be seen, but I think so. The RAM is really fast and the specs of the device actually look pretty good, imo. You can even hook it up to a monitor and use a mouse and keyboard flawlessly. It's pretty much a full PC. You can install Windows and even other gaming platforms like Origin, Battlenet, Epic Game Store, etc.

I love the idea and is neat but I dont see myself getting one, If im gaming on the move which is rare I will just use my switch, Gaming on devices like that for me personally is usually really uncomfortable and the controls dont feel right as well. Also seems like its something where for me personally I would only wanna play a limited variety of SP games like Hades or Enter the Gungeon, Roguelike dungeon crawler style games. I could never see myself playing BF or COD, HZD or anything along those lines.

Only watched the IGN video on it but I doubt the mouse tracker pad feels like an actual mouse just my opinion obv.

Edited by mattyice0401

A lot of people are talking about the specs, but it's really hard to judge how it's going to run on paper; much more difficult compared to really any laptop or desktop (or even the consoles) as the custom architecture is really unique. Yes, it's got a RDNA2 GPU, but it's completely custom. Same with the CPU. Yes, the RAM is really fast, but it's also LPDDR5 RAM. It's made for mobile devices and phones to save power. To save power, while it's fast, it also has way less bandwidth than traditional RAM. Not saying this is concerning, just saying the speed being a distinguishing factor is misleading. A gaming PC would of course be much better off with traditional RAM found in either the PS5/Xbox or a desktop. Also, the storage capacity is *really* concerning. Don't even consider getting the 64GB device IMO. Way too small. 256GB is the absolute minimum.

On top of that, you have to realize that games you download for the Switch are *designed* for the Switch. Meaning you download a special Switch version of games that *only* includes lower res files to keep storage sizes down significantly. On this device, it appears you'll be downloading the full Steam games. They're going to eat up that capacity real quick.

May advice: if you only play a handful of games and just want something mobile to bring around with you, this is probably a cool thing to own. But even then, there's 0% chance I'd preorder it. The specs are way too fuzzy right now to really know what you're getting into. I'm assuming since you're running things at such a low resolution (which is fine for the small screen) it'll run *most* games completely fine, but I'd still wait for reviews.

• Like 1

Seems pretty cool, especially that they are leaving it as an open platform. Would be great to bring with on trips, even more than the switch.

I’d probably wait for a further revision before I’d consider it, but it’s a cool idea.

I’d probably buy a dedicated Xbox Portable to stream xCloud too as well as play games away from home on a decent size screen, so the fact that this is that + steam is even better.

12 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Seems pretty cool, especially that they are leaving it as an open platform. Would be great to bring with on trips, even more than the switch.

I’d probably wait for a further revision before I’d consider it, but it’s a cool idea.

I’d probably buy a dedicated Xbox Portable to stream xCloud too as well as play games away from home on a decent size screen, so the fact that this is that + steam is even better.

In the IGN sitdown with the dudes, they said that theoretically speaking you should be able to be able to play your gamepass games on this as well since you'll be able to add that app. If that's the case thats a true game changer.