Steam Deck

showtime

1 hour ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

In the IGN sitdown with the dudes, they said that theoretically speaking you should be able to be able to play your gamepass games on this as well since you'll be able to add that app. If that's the case thats a true game changer.

Yeah I saw you could just shift it over to windows and download stuff too, would be able to do xCloud easily out of the box. Definitely the part that makes it tempting. Have plenty of steam games I’ve bought over the years too.

Right now when I go on trips I either bring a Bluetooth controller I have + my laptop or bring an old iPad to stream stuff too. Both are a bit too much when packing for a cheap flight. I could do what I do with my switch and keep this in my hand going through checkin. Also like the switch this would be far easier for like the train or if I have to wait somewhere.

Definitely something I’ll keep an eye on, easy to see where it’d fit in. Would make the switch obsolete quickly asides from new Nintendo exclusives.

The main thing people need to realize is that though this can access the any game on steam it is not powerful enough to actually play any game on steam .. You're not running cyberpunk on this thing for example... At least not at any frame rate that's actually playable. 

Luckily a lot of the PC gamers are into MMOs, MOBAs, BRs, strategy games, 4X, etc... Which aren't typically very demanding on hardware but people just need to be aware that when it comes to the graphically demanding titles you're either going to be playing at an extremely low frame rate or not going to be able to play at all. 

Edited by rob_shadows
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

The main thing people need to realize is that though this can access the any game on steam it is not powerful enough to actually play any game on steam .. You're not running cyberpunk on this thing for example... At least not at any frame rate that's actually playable. 

Luckily a lot of the PC gamers are into MMOs, MOBAs, BRs, strategy games, 4X, etc... Which aren't typically very demanding on hardware but people just need to be aware that when it comes to the graphically demanding titles you're either going to be playing at an extremely low frame rate or not going to be able to play at all. 

Mobile gaming just doesnt appeal to me back when pokemon was poppin off on the gameboys and crap hell yeah but anything beyond that no thanks

I don't need this at all, but at the same time, I want it. I don't do handhelds anymore and plan to build me a living room PC once AMD's APUs release in August, but this Steam Deck is tempting, lol. Looks like they pushed availability into Q2 of '22. Sounds like some super strong sales from that first day 100k.

On 7/19/2021 at 12:53 PM, DoleINGout said:

@elevators_rule

watch this and tell me your thoughts

I've never used the SteamOS, but it looks/sounds pretty solid from their description and what they showed. Might not seem huge, but for handheld devices a good/bad OS can really make/break the experience. Biggest + to me from this video, which some people might have expected, is that it has a suspend/resume feature. You can just press a button to pause/suspend the game, and then seemingly resume it later. Even most laptops don't handle that very well typically- closing the lid while a game is running almost always has caused me issues. Also, cool to see that big picture mode allows you to pretty easily hook it up to a TV/monitor, but I do worry if it's powerful enough to actually run games at a higher resolution to make the hookup worth it. I'd be really surprised if it could comfortably run modern games on High settings at 1080p. You're probably going to have to sacrifice a bit more.

So it seems like the software side of things is going to work well, which is always a plus, but the hardware is still the biggest question mark to me. I'd love for them to give us some benchmarks for various games on the device as well as using big picture mode. If they impress there, that would definitely solidify a high opinion about it for me

• Like 1

I  would NOT trust this hardware. Being able to fit quality performance into a console (let alone a handheld device) requires developers to specifically develop for that hardware. For a Playstation or Xbox, there are tens/hundreds of millions of units that makes this viable, and developers account for that. Nintendo basically owns their entire ecosystem of hardware and software so it works for them.

But trying to make generic "PC" hardware fit into a handheld doesn't make sense to me. It won't have the power to keep up with games developed for PC, and even if it did, it would only last a year or two before being passed up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

the internal drive is in its own module and not soldered on the motherboard. they created it be "repairable". the ssd can be upgraded. touchpads have their own haptic feedback it seems like.

thoughts on this? @elevators_rule @Heimdallr @Shockwave

It would be shocking if the SSD wasn't upgradeable. That is pretty much a standard feature for consoles now. 

• 4 weeks later...