Training Camp 2021

Bobby816

9 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Doubt we add 2 starting DEs. That being said we need to add 1. And not even so we compete better. More so that we need to be able to judge these young CBs. And if there’s no pass rush, of course they’ll be getting burned. So we can’t properly even evaluate a key young group for our team. 

We need four DE’s who can all play a huge amount of snaps throughout the year plus a couple of young guys like Zuniga/Rashad who are going to be battling for snaps and also a place on the 53.

JFM will start one side and then we need a premier proven pass rusher the other. Obviously Lawson was that guy but he’s out for the year. That role still needs to be replaced and we can’t expect a young UFA in Bryce Huff to take on all that responsibility. Plus on 3rd downs we need to then shift JFM inside and get more speed on the outside. 

JFM, Huff, Blair and Rashad/Zuniga will not cut it. Maybe we can bypass signing a FA if we believe Blair will be healthy although he’s more in the mould of JFM and not the speed rusher like we desperately need. Going to unfortunately spend a draft pick and throw in a Crowder/Berrios to get someone in who can fill the Lawson role. 

Edited by xenajets

3 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Nice post i agree, we do have to starting winning games, the way the defensive looks now, it is going kill us when it comes for time of position for the offensive. We sure can't go thru another  three of four win season. We have to win at least 7 or eight games to get any kind of respectability. I have had a belly full of being the laughing stock of the NFL. Like I said yesterday next years draft will be all about the defensive. What is killing us now is the Last seven years of drafting first round defensive picks, that were supposed to be the core of our current defensive who are all gone now for one reason or another. Only Q Williams is a keeper.

Yeah we’ve been woeful for years in the draft and that ship is now hopefully under better command with JD. However some of the defensive guys who you’d hope we would be able to start relying on (Zuniga and Davis) are just nowhere near right now. Hall looks a good pick and time will tell on the new rookies. 

Like you said we will emphasises the defense in next years draft. But for now we can make a move or two that will give us the ability to evaluate the defense as a whole like @Bobby816 referered to. These young cbs like Hall who have serious starter potential can’t be properly assessed with no consistent pass rush. It’s not fair.  

Edited by xenajets

I know Saleh wants to play starters tomorrow, can he please not play guys like Maye, Mosley, Rankins, Q,  Davis, basically any veteran. But if you are playing Wilson you need the starting OL.

But no reason to throw some of these veterans out there. I get these rookies need reps but still. 

Ya I'm not a fan of playing very many starters as well. Even the rookies who have carved out there spot on this team don't need to play either. Just load up game time on the guys battling to make the team.

With 2 big injuries already to the defense... we cant risk it. 

16 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Ya I'm not a fan of playing very many starters as well. Even the rookies who have carved out there spot on this team don't need to play either. Just load up game time on the guys battling to make the team.

With 2 big injuries already to the defense... we cant risk it. 

Yeah literally nothing to gain from playing anyone of value. 

Unless it's a freak incident, whether they get injured or preseason or Week 3 it doesn't matter, they were bound to get injured.  Football has a ton of non contact stuff which means it's bound to happen.  Not talking concussion or getting rolled up on.  

Are Moore and AVT sitting because still injured or not wanting to aggravate?

15 hours ago, JetsandI said:

I can't wait until next week. Very curious about who will Jets add new DE to the roster

One thing for sure it won't be a tier one pass rusher. The only way we could get one is to give up one of our high draft picks for next year and that ain't going to happen. With the exception of Wilson, the injury to Lawson is the worst thing that could happen to the Jets. Lawson injury not only hurts the defensive, it is going to hurt the offensive with time of position. The way things are going for the defensive they are going to be on the field long periods of time this year. Their are way to may questions marks on the defensive to even talk about,

53 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

One thing for sure it won't be a tier one pass rusher. The only way we could get one is to give up one of our high draft picks for next year and that ain't going to happen. With the exception of Wilson, the injury to Lawson is the worst thing that could happen to the Jets. Lawson injury not only hurts the defensive, it is going to hurt the offensive with time of position. The way things are going for the defensive they are going to be on the field long periods of time this year. Their are way to may questions marks on the defensive to even talk about,

Not true really. I mean there’s guys that have a ton of potential that can be had that are still in their mid 20s who for sure have the talent to get to 10+ sacks regularly. And Bc they haven’t been regular 10 sack guys… they could be had for mid round picks. Or even better… we could trade a player for them and keep our picks. The PHI edges have been brought up regarding this. PHI needs WRs and we have a crowded WR room. Maybe trade Crowder for Sweat or Barnett. 2 guys that are 24 and 25 that with the defensive coaching we have can be good edges. And part of the long term plan. Lawson comes back next year and we have 2 good edges. And who knows what JFM and Huff can be as well.

That is true that Jets likely receive a proven pass rusher without giving up a premier pick but it is all up to JD to part with however he sees fit.   4 first 2 round picks are too much to think about prospects' immediate success.

I am not going to pretend that whoever Jets get will register 8-12 sacks for them this year but it is truly possible. Why?  I think JD will try to get one with enough seasonal experience on the resume meaning Saleh can play him on week 1 or 2 and then let him pick up anything in his way.  As for inexperienced or rookie players, Jets will likely bring him into game slowly. Hence, a potential pathetic number in sack category.

I am less concerned about our pass rush than our OL.  Maybe because I was never expecting it to be so dominant that it would overcome the experience at DB.  However, I also expect a lot of confusing zone coverage that will help hide the perceived lack of individual talent on the backend.

Now a breakdown in the OL will be a disaster.  Wilson will get hurt and have little time to effectively operate the O.  LT, RG and to a lesser degree C all have issues that need to be cleaned up.  I am particularly concerned about Becton.  It is just one thing after another with him.  Will he even reach his second contract before calling it quits?  Luckily we have Moses and Fant to lessen the injury/ineffective play if Becton is out.