Training Camp 2021

Bobby816

4 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Why has it been so many years since we had a legit TE.

Legit TE’s are hard to find. Also, what kind of O are they going into?  Some coaches do not not really feature a TE and use them to block and catch an occasional pass. Gase did not feature a pass catching TE for example. There are a lot of high draft pick TE that do not live up to expectations. Hell we picked Amaro in round 2 because he had a phenomenal season in college. It really is one of the toughest positions to adjust to in the NFL.

I personally believe that a team that wants to feature a TE like Kelce, Kittles or Waller has to know what physical traits are needed and take the time to fine tune those  traits. Then they have to have specific offensive plays designed for them.

1 hour ago, Heymangold said:

would rather just bring in mckinney - no off field issues and has been productive

Is Mckinney a scheme fit in any way? Hes like a 250+ LB who is a 3-4 ILB type.  We need to do something at LBer, we have no one behind Mosley and we are starting 2  rookies who were safeties at OLB. 

2 hours ago, xrade said:

Legit TE’s are hard to find. Also, what kind of O are they going into?  Some coaches do not not really feature a TE and use them to block and catch an occasional pass. Gase did not feature a pass catching TE for example. There are a lot of high draft pick TE that do not live up to expectations. Hell we picked Amaro in round 2 because he had a phenomenal season in college. It really is one of the toughest positions to adjust to in the NFL.

I personally believe that a team that wants to feature a TE like Kelce, Kittles or Waller has to know what physical traits are needed and take the time to fine tune those  traits. Then they have to have specific offensive plays designed for them.

A good TE, takes the pressure off the WR's you can't' double team  WR receivers when you have a pass catching TE, perfect example in Gronk & Brady, Mahomes & Kelce, John Unitas & John Mackey, Billy Wade & Mike Ditka, Phil Simms & Mark Bavaro, and the List goes on, and by the way all these combs were world champs. A top pass catching TE really screws up the defensive. Not of these TE on our roster now have no down field game at all. I will take any of the past NY Jets from years ago we had some real good ones.  As we speak the TE position is the missing piece of our offensive.

Edited by doumeyer

33 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

A good TE, takes the pressure off the WR's you can't' double team  WR receivers when you have a pass catching TE, perfect example in Gronk & Brady, Mahomes & Kelce, John Unitas & John Mackey, Billy Wade & Mike Ditka, Phil Simms & Mark Bavaro, and the List goes on, and by the way all these combs were world champs. A top pass catching TE really screws up the defensive. Not of these TE on our roster now have no down field game at all. I will take any of the past NY Jets from years ago we had some real good ones.  As we speak the TE position is the missing piece of our offensive.

I understand the value of a tight end, I was just answering your question with my opinion on WHY we have not had one.

9 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Aw!  TE is overrated.

A good TE is the most disruptive player the defensive has to cover. I guess you never saw Gronk, or Kelce play, DB are totally out manned when they have to cover a huge TE who has speed size and great hands. Of all people i didn't except the answer you gave OVERRATED, YOU REALLY SURPIZE ME.

The complete failure to identify a useful tight end is truly alarming. We are playing a rookie QB. A solid TE can be a tremendous safety valve that can create easy mismatches for a young qb to quickly spot and take advantage of.  Look at how New England went out and grabbed both Henry and Smith. Those two are going to open up a ton of plays for Mac. Defenses wont be able to easily tell if a play will be run or pass and the te's will be able to help with blitz pickups. 

We've already tried to ignore te plan for the past few years. It certainly helped us ruin Darnold. We need to get a guy like Ertz in here ASAP.

3 minutes ago, drew39k said:

The complete failure to identify a useful tight end is truly alarming. We are playing a rookie QB. A solid TE can be a tremendous safety valve that can create easy mismatches for a young qb to quickly spot and take advantage of.  Look at how New England went out and grabbed both Henry and Smith. Those two are going to open up a ton of plays for Mac. Defenses wont be able to easily tell if a play will be run or pass and the te's will be able to help with blitz pickups. 

We've already tried to ignore te plan for the past few years. It certainly helped us ruin Darnold. We need to get a guy like Ertz in here ASAP.

I don’t think he’s ignored the TE position because he doesn’t value it. It’s actually too early to know if he does or doesn’t. Joe D values the OL above all and all meaningful resources have gone to that. Now that we are healthy at OL, WR and RB, he should move his attention to TE. Unfortunately, he inherited a bad roster and you kind of have to pick and choose what to fix.

8 minutes ago, drew39k said:

OL + running game, he has 5 WRs to throw to.  I think TE was last on the list.

If we grabbed a TE and went into the season with Mims, Crowder, Davis we would be complaining about WR.  

7 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Right now, Jets may use TE for red zone, short yard and blocking. Not playmaking TE.

I just don’t see how a guy like Brown they see as more valuable than Yeboah. The TE room should be Kroft, Griffin and Yeboah with Wesco as FB.